1st ever attempt at competition style nails... Help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherDavis

Reaction score
I just wanted some input from you veterans in the competition arena if you don't mind sharing ideas and critiques with me
icon_smile.gif

I glazed over the rule in SYS about not being able to enter the following year if you placed the PREVIOUS year, and spent half the day doing nails for the Senior division- then went to double check on a different rule, and there it was: Can't enter if you won anything last year
icon_sad.gif

So I am posting them anyway, hoping for a learning experience, courtesy of a few of you amazing nail techs that compete regularly- any comments or critiques are welcome- These pics are pink and white liquid and powder acrylic sculpted on a form
icon_smile.gif

I do think they need to maybe be longer, and that the sides of a couple are not perfectly straight- I also could use some tips on barrel c-curve, I have trouble with consistency- I am working on a better "V" in my smile line, and I used a fast setting monomer, thinking that might help me with color and clarity......

Thanks for looking! And thanks for any suggestions

13056_163647518014_584203014_2888719_2463808_n.jpg

13056_163647603014_584203014_2888731_5894653_n.jpg

I filed off a sidewall on this shot...
13056_163647613014_584203014_2888733_4891058_n.jpg

13056_163647623014_584203014_2888735_4067926_n.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly Heather, I think they are beautiful!

I think the only 'help' you need are directions to my house. I want pretty nails :hug:

I am no where near qualified to comment on comp nails....but as a personal view point...THEY ROCK !!!!......I just love the slender, thin, crisp and consistent look of these nails....They just say WOW to me. The model has amazing fingers and nail beds....I hear thats real important for comps....Your work is stunning and I am sure you will wow the judges, good luck. xxx

Thanks girls- :) I think I am going to head to the show in Las Vegas in June with this model and try it all out, hopefully I will live through it lol! I'm still disappointed not to be able to enter these in the Beauty Tech Strut Your Stuff comp, but I'm glad I took the pics anyway :)

Hi I just wanna add that your nails are fab and hope I can one day do nails to this standard. Just from a novices eye your index and middle fingers sidewalls look slightly out of balance on your first pic. As I said i am new to this industry and it is just m opinion so sorry if I am told I am wrong it is just what I can see iygwim, but hey,, they are FAB xxx

They're great, i don't think they need to be any longer, they're already long enough, if i had it i'd pay good money for these their top notch!

:D xx

We need a special salongeek word for great nails...
Anyone?

what can I additional say - nothing - they are a "hammer" (as we do call them in Greece!!!):hug:

thats a beautiful photo heather. i cant enter this year either, but at least i found out before doing my entry. it'll be great for your portfolio though.

a couple of things i think a competition judge might pick up on. theres some inconsistency in c curve which you mentioned yourself. the pinky is great but others not so curved.

the tips appear to taper inwards on some of the nails.

you have filed off the ears of the smile on the middle finger and left some of the natural sidewall exposed.

minor details, but those judges have magnifying glasses !

lovely nails.

i have been doing nails 7 years and i'm no where close to how beautiful those are. I'm turning green. Kudos on that lovely set!

I like em ....BUT (dontcha hate that word)?

Judging from the thumb profile it's a little flat.

As far as the rest goes .... what I think you may have done is made them perfect in shape (then pinched em).

A little secret (just between us) .... you actually fan them just a tad, then pinch, this curls the sides over, creating your "C" curve/almost tunnel ..... and a stroke of the file brings them into line without altering the shape, if you make them perfect, then pinch, it alters the shape/tapers too much .

Hope you get my drift.

shhhhhhhh, this is a secret :)

GOOD LUCK

CARL I LOVE SECRETS!!!!

That's a FABULOUS TIP, and THANK YOU-

And Susan, those magnifying glasses are a BI^&H aren't they?

I'm glad this was a practice set, so I can spend the next 6 months making myself crazy ;)

My only question for now is, do I make the "C" literally as "C" as the pinky? And after I fan them out and pinch them, will I need to file off the "ears?"

I need a one-on-one lol, someone come take an Alaskan Cruise, I'll meet you at the port dock ;)

Hi,

I agree with Angel Fingers and Nailzoo about your c- curves, flat looking thumb and that sideline of the middle finger you also noticed yourself.

I'd like to add that for a more dramatic comp style look you need to work your smilelines a lot deeper (more difficult techniques also affect your product control points!) and, you ought to go a lot thinner as well -competition nails should not be thicker than a business card.

Your shape is good, just pay attention to that tunnel and the lower arches; your cuticle line is really smooth as well as the entire surface -no scratches; the overall look, especially the length, is in good harmony and really compliments your model's hands.

Good job!!:)

Latest posts

Back