1st ever set sculpted - what do u think????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julieanne27uk

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I did my fist ever set of sculpted nails last night!!:) . What does everyone think?? I've only ever done them on 'bendy' my nail trainer before. My client has quite wide nailbeds, but I think the enhancements are a little too wide?? :( Opinions appreciated!!

Julie:)

Hi Julie,
Big well done on your first sculpts!
Its soo satisfying when you finally click with getting the form on isnt it... and then the rest is a breeze!
I notice from your pic that the curvature of the nails seems to be at the outside edge of the tip and that it looks quite flat across the apex area. Did you try rolling your forms a little before fitting? this helps to give them a bit more curve.
However, if your client has really flat nails, as a lot of wide nails seem to be, then I would build up the apex just a little more to compensate.
Hope you dont mind my comments...gawd listen to me .... think I need to start taking my own advice, rofl!!!

Thanks for the advice!! All comments welcome! :) I understand what you mean about them being a little too flat on the apex. I am still trying to get to grips with putting forms on, I'll give your suggestion a try on 'bendy' the nail trainer tonight. I also think I was concentrating too hard on trying to keep the tip nice and thin, that I lost the apex shape by squashing to too flat!

I have a question, if you don't mind sharing your knowledge! Do you put all 10 forms on at the beginning or do each hand / finger as you go along? I tried putting all five on one hand to start with, but they got in the way abit.:|

julieanne27uk said:
I have a question, if you don't mind sharing your knowledge! Do you put all 10 forms on at the beginning or do each hand / finger as you go along? I tried putting all five on one hand to start with, but they got in the way abit.:|
Personally I dont put all 10 on at once (prob why my timming is pants, lol!)
I find that the client will always manage to dislodge the fit under the free edge by knocking them or something.
I work one hand at a time, I dont know which forms you use but the Performance forms from Creative stay pretty well stuck enough to do 4 at a time, then thumb.
If the client is particularly fidgety or has really awkward beds then I will work one finger at a time... but thats just me, Im sure others will say differently.

Well done they are great for your first set maybe a little wide but they are nice.

I am quite new to all this but I have noticed looking back at photos of nails I have done that the old photos the nails are far too wide I am getting them filed in much better now.

Great to see your photos.

Caz xxx

I agree with the other posts... a little wide perhaps but hey... what a fantastic first set... you should be very proud of your achievement .. well done :)

That's my biggest prob too!

Everything I do seems really wide!

I agree with the others, that this is a great job considering it´s your first :)

But you are right about them being a little too wide. Sculpted nails tend to be too wide svo you have to file them nicely on the sides. First place the file at the side of the nail and have the end aiming all the way down to the bottom of the nail, then tilt it a little bit so it goes under the free edge still keeping it straight and then start filing carefully. Always use the file to "aim" and make sure it is straight and in line with the side of the nail. If you do this the free edge will be in perfect line with the natural width of the nail. Just make sure you don´t hurt the skin and cuticles, it can happen if you do it too fast or too hard.
You´ll be surprised at how much you need to file to get it perfect!
In fact it´s really helpful to file too much one time so that you see how far you can go ;) -use your own nail for that experiment, or a nail trainer :cool:

Latest posts

Back