40th Birthday ideas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all

My hubby is turning 40 in August and I'm trying to think of different things to do that don't cost the earth but that make it a bit more special than a normal birthday and spread out over the whole month.

I'm organising a surprise BBQ/party at ours for him and have also arranged to go to Whitstable for a week, my friends mum is letting us use her static holiday home and my hubby's parents live nearby so we'll stay with them a couple of nights too (he loves it down there so should really love this) I'd also got quotes to get in a photo booth at the party as this was SO much fun at The Event but my word it's so expensive! :eek: so think I'll have to forget that idea unless I can find a cheaper option :sad:

But in terms of an actual present I have no idea what to get him, he's so hard to buy for because he has everything really and anything he'd really love is mega money which we don't have at the moment.

So for any of you with husbands/partners who may have celebrated a big birthday, what did you do for both the event and pressie?

Xx

Not sure about what to do but what about making a scrapbook of pictures of his life! My girls did it for me one year and I absolutely love looking at it! They put notes by some pictures and little crafty wordings. They also made a title for every page. It cost them the price of the book and their time. It was and still is one of the best presents I have ever been given, and I know it was made with love xx

It was my boyfriends 40th last year, I wanted to take him to Egypt but the miserable sod didn't want to go! Grrr!

So, i had a nice cake made like a car -he loves nice cars, with his name n 40 on reg plate. I got those big number balloons from a card shop, a bottle of champagne & strawberries for breakfast :) got him some nice clothes from his fave shop & aftershave & some underwear for me ;) & went out for a nice meal n ended up in the drs waiting for a walk-in appointment cz he had a chest infection :( xx

Not sure about what to do but what about making a scrapbook of pictures of his life! My girls did it for me one year and I absolutely love looking at it! They put notes by some pictures and little crafty wordings. They also made a title for every page. It cost them the price of the book and their time. It was and still is one of the best presents I have ever been given, and I know it was made with love xx

It was my 50th last month and my daughter made a photo book of my life and it was absolutely the best present ever!

She contacted all my family and friends and asked them to send her photos of me/them over the years, then she asked them all for messages to me from them which she then had all put into this binded book.

It was professionally printed and looked amazing but I know it didnt cost the earth because a) she has just had a baby and is really having to watch the pennies and b) she also apologised it wasnt a big grand gesture which I obviously put her straight. It really was the most amazing thing to see and made me very emotional with all the photos of me with my oldest and dearest friends and some of me as a young child with my parents and sisters, especially as I lost my dad when I was 15 and my mum 8 years ago. And also some shocking hairstyles from over the years!!

Another thing I had was 50 gifts ( obviously you would give 40) not massive gifts just thoughtful things. Another gave me a gift bag made of of things to do with 50 - 50 facial wipes, a 50cl bottle of champagne, 50 rose petals etc.

My friend got a walk over the 02 for hers.

Another friends husband done several things for her that he knew she wanted to do over her 50th year, this obviously allows you to spread the cost.

Hope some of these help a little

H xx

Thanks for your replies. Can't do a photobook really as there are very few pictures of my husband from the past, just ones from when he got with me :) (I'm a bit snap happy lol) so it would be a few pics and that's it.

I love the 40 presents idea, I'd also thought about sending him 40 birthday cards through the post, maybe with something in each one like a scratch card or lottery lucky dip perhaps, so I could do both maybe if I can get cheap bits over the next couple of months :) He's been banging on about he's getting old so I could put a few jokey things in there like denture gel and haemorrhoid cream :D

And the o2 is also a great idea! We were watching something the other night where people were doing that and he said he'd love to do something like that, so I shall look into it. Thank you very much for the ideas! :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Aww yes I like the 40 cards/ presents idea... Wish I had done that xx

I once made gift vouchers for my husband to redeem as and when. For example you could do a mini back massage, a foot massage, a bath for two, breakfast in bed, a cup of tea, a trip to the cinema, an icecream etc. You could do 40 of them. :D

I once made gift vouchers for my husband to redeem as and when. For example you could do a mini back massage, a foot massage, a bath for two, breakfast in bed, a cup of tea, a trip to the cinema, an icecream etc. You could do 40 of them. :D

Thanks for the idea, I've done that several times though, I get stuck for ideas often! :D

One of my clients told me what her and her sister did for each others 50th birthdays. I thought it was so lovely and thoughtful.

For her 50th her sister had a 50 piece jigsaw puzzle made from a picture of them. Each week she got a birthday card with a piece of the puzzle inside. It meant she got to celebrate her birthday for nearly a year :)

For her sisters birthday she carried on the theme of doing something each week. Each week she got to experience something new. Some of them were silly, some funny and some really nice. Like all wearing silly wigs out one evening, going to see a play, eating a chocolate she hadn't tried before, going to a park she hadn't been to etc...

What lovely sisters.

i got my husband a day around a race track a few years ago and he loved it, still talks about it now. think about something he will probably only do once like a bungee jump, jumping out a plane etc xx

One of my clients told me what her and her sister did for each others 50th birthdays. I thought it was so lovely and thoughtful.

For her 50th her sister had a 50 piece jigsaw puzzle made from a picture of them. Each week she got a birthday card with a piece of the puzzle inside. It meant she got to celebrate her birthday for nearly a year :)

For her sisters birthday she carried on the theme of doing something each week. Each week she got to experience something new. Some of them were silly, some funny and some really nice. Like all wearing silly wigs out one evening, going to see a play, eating a chocolate she hadn't tried before, going to a park she hadn't been to etc...

What lovely sisters.

Awwww that is lovely :Love: I was going to do the 40 cards every day but my memory being as shocking as it is, I think I'm better doing it in one go Lol! :D

Souz, I've exhausted that too. Have already done Ferrari, Lotus Elise and off road rally over the years. Think the up the o2 idea was a good one because it's very reasonably priced and something he's mentioned he'd like to do and it's that bit different too.

Thank you so much all of you for your suggestions, you've all helped loads! :hug:

Will is a big Brighton supporter, for our wedding I contacted the club and they got all the team to send us a card signed by them all as a surprise.
For his 40th I bought a Brighton shirt had the number 40 and smith put on the back the club then got the tea to sign his shirt also. As well as throw him a huge suprise party. It didn't cost a lot either, just the cost of the shirt. But I guess it depends who his team is. Xxx

Will is a big Brighton supporter, for our wedding I contacted the club and they got all the team to send us a card signed by them all as a surprise.
For his 40th I bought a Brighton shirt had the number 40 and smith put on the back the club then got the tea to sign his shirt also. As well as throw him a huge suprise party. It didn't cost a lot either, just the cost of the shirt. But I guess it depends who his team is. Xxx

His team is Arsenal, so doubt I'd get them to do the same. I've had to tell him about our surprise trip away as he's started a new job (thank god and at last) and so they needed to know about holiday booked. He still doesn't know about the surprise BBQ though. I've booked him and his friend tickets for climb the O2 and I'm going to do the 40 gifts/cards idea. Last thing I'd like to do is a canvas picture of me and the boy for him. A friend of mine had one done for her husbands 40th of her 2 girls with feet hanging over a roll top bath and on the bottom of their feet they had "happy 40th birthday daddy". It looked fantastic, so would like to do something similar but obviously not saying Daddy ;) :D

Latest posts

Back