5:2 diet not working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
Am I the only person that is not loosing on the 5:2 diet?!
I have done it before and was loosing a pound a week. But I stopped as I went on holiday and have only just got back into it.

I am on my fith week and have only lost a pound!! I have been having no more than 500 calories on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I tend to have lunch and dinner ( usually meat and fruit or scrambled egg and ham for lunch, and weight watcher meal for dinner)
I don't tend to watch what I eat on my feast days so maybe that's where I am going wrong? Although I ate whatever u wanted when I was doing the 5:2 diet before and was loosing so I don't understand why I'm am staying the same and not loosing this time?!! Is it possible to eat too much on the feast days?

I usually do weight watchers and loose around 2 pound a week on that but was fed up with dieting every day but maybe I should just go back to this.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has been having the same/similar problem. Xx

This like many fad diets are all short term rubbish. I'm quite into my fitness and any personal trainer will tell you you need to eat 3x that amount of calories.

Every day you have 500 calories your putting your body into starvation mode so it holds on to everything you give it.

If you speak to any bodybuilder you will be shocked at how much they eat and lose fat. I personally used to eat 24eggs a day along with 8 protein shakes plus my meals. I'd eat every 2 hours and I was hungry every 2 hours. You make your body into a roaring engine 24/7 and you'll lose weight in your sleep.

P.S that was just my example of course you don't have to go anywhere near that extreme lol.

The 5:2 diet is not a fad diet but a lifestyle choice, it does work and has a lot of health benefits.
Banner Penguin you are right if you don't eat enough your body goes into starvation mode and will start to store fat.
The 5:2 does not let that happen, that is why it is important to eat well on the 5 non fasting days.

OP do you have the book it explains how much to eat on the 5 days and the types of food that are best?

I couldn't do it, I don't think it is safe, sorry- but any form of calorie restrictions in my opinion is disordered eating.

How the heck can you say that it is safe to exercise as normal when on your fast days? (Yes I have read the book ) I burn 900cals running 8 miles, up to 1000 in kettlercise- I nearly passed out attempting kettlercise on my one day I tried it- my instructor told me it was stupid, the worse diet she had ever heared of and dangerous. She is a GB triathlete so she knows what she is talking about.
Eat clean, train mean- stop looking for quick fixes.
A juice fast, once a month is beneficial apparently but you couldn't train like a machine- just lounge around in robes at a beautiful spa :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I did a couple if weeks but was concerned I was not eating enough on my normal days as this can have an effect on the fast days.
Izzidoll is right I'd get the book to guide you or there is a forum which people can help and point you in the right direction. Good luck xx

I did it for a month or so as well, I lost weight but I grew bored as the weight loss was slow. I also agree getting the book would be a good idea!

Oh and if I ate 24 eggs a day, I probably wouldn't go to the loo for a month! Just saying.

There's more than the weight loss as a benefit. From the research evidence, intermittent fasting shows improvements on a cellular level.

As izzidoll [edited: spelling] outlined above, the 5:2 diet doesn't put your body into starvation mode.

If you're training like an athlete, you should be eating like an athlete. It's about giving your body it needs for what you want of to do.

Does makes me giggle whenever I read or hear, "my [insert relevant relationship / title] is a [insert any non scientific / medical title], so they know what they're talking about!"

Maybe the professors, scientists and medical doctors haven't got a clue ??? 😜

From memory, I could be wrong here, I think Dr Mosley says that if you're not getting results on 5:2, then try 5:3 to kickstart some losses.

Good luck x

Last edited:
I stopped doing it mainly because I had some unrelated health issues, but I would never have considered doing any major excercise on fast days.
I am about to go back on it, yes to lose some weight, but mainly because of the other health benefits.

Good luck izzidoll, I've just had my fast day yesterday.

It is widely thought that starvation mode is a myth now. Much of what we knew about diet, health and fitness is being proved wrong with new modern technology and research. Low fat is dangerous, years of fad diets are very bad for you.I lost a stone on 5:2 but nothing else and no longer do it as I was messing up my metabolism. My PT friend recently said to me we are all different and our bodied are all different, in the same way you don't use the same nail, hair,skin products on every client one diet does not fit all. Nature is very very clever, it provides all the food needed for the climate we live in. By eating imported out if season, processseed food and doing unnatural faddy diets we are really messing with nature and having to deal with the consequences. Which for many is yoyo dieting and difficult fat loss. All the sugar in foods is making it addictive, as well as peaking our insulin levels and messing with our food hormone.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I did this diet for a while and did lose some weight but it wasn't something I could keep up with as a regular thing

The past 9 days I have cut out crisps chocolate cakes biscuits etc, eaten less sugar, more fruit as snacks, drank more water, drank green tea and done an hour of exercise every day and I've lost 6lbs

Just simple rules of exercise and watch what you eat does work and is more sustainable than a quick fix diet

I know it's boring but it does work

I'm still eating what I want for my teas but just watching more closely what I'm snacking on, it's so easy when the kids have the biscuits to just grab one or 5 lol

I've been using the wii fit and after every exercise it says what I've burnt in calories and now when I look at the biscuits I think is it worth having to do 20 minutes of exercise just to eat that biscuit

I love this saying

FRIDGE PICKERS WEAR BIG KNICKERS
THOSE THAT STAY STRONG WEAR A THONG

It's a stupidly dangerous diet for women.

It's a stupidly dangerous diet for women.

Can you provide any evidence to support this? I do intermittent fasting which is one day eating normally one day on 500 calories. I can't say it's done me any harm and my doctor has said I am in good health.

Can you provide any evidence to support this? I do intermittent fasting which is one day eating normally one day on 500 calories. I can't say it's done me any harm and my doctor has said I am in good health.

Doctors recommend it cos they're told to. Doctors are ****bags when it comes to diets. The 5:2 diet seriously upsets your hormones, and can lead to fertility problems. There haven't been any problems identified for men but women's systems are not built for that kinda up and down-ness

Doctors recommend it cos they're told to. Doctors are ****bags when it comes to diets. The 5:2 diet seriously upsets your hormones, and can lead to fertility problems. There haven't been any problems identified for men but women's systems are not built for that kinda up and down-ness

Forgive me for sounding rude as I know you have good intentions for everyone's health but that is not evidence. That's your opinion of doctors and this diet. My doctor did not recommend any diet to me, I did my research and decided upon it myself. All my doctor did was tell me I was in good health when I started and confirmed I am still in good health now. :)

Am I the only person that is not loosing on the 5:2 diet?!
I have done it before and was loosing a pound a week. But I stopped as I went on holiday and have only just got back into it.

I am on my fith week and have only lost a pound!! I have been having no more than 500 calories on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I tend to have lunch and dinner ( usually meat and fruit or scrambled egg and ham for lunch, and weight watcher meal for dinner)
I don't tend to watch what I eat on my feast days so maybe that's where I am going wrong? Although I ate whatever u wanted when I was doing the 5:2 diet before and was loosing so I don't understand why I'm am staying the same and not loosing this time?!! Is it possible to eat too much on the feast days?

I usually do weight watchers and loose around 2 pound a week on that but was fed up with dieting every day but maybe I should just go back to this.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has been having the same/similar problem. Xx

Have a read about Leptin it is the hormone in our bodies that controls hunger. Very interesting.
If have tried the 5:2 and believe it is one of the very few diets that is backed by the NHS. I used my Jason Vale juicer on the two days of fasting.

I am also a great fan of HIIT training which is just so quick and I am really seeing results. Its so much better than spending 30 mins plus plodding away on a treadmill. (I think so anyway)!

Good Luck
x

Also I would recommend HITT

Have a read about Leptin it is the hormone in our bodies that controls hunger. Very interesting.
If have tried the 5:2 and believe it is one of the very few diets that is backed by the NHS. I used my Jason Vale juicer on the two days of fasting.

I am also a great fan of HIIT training which is just so quick and I am really seeing results. Its so much better than spending 30 mins plus plodding away on a treadmill. (I think so anyway)!

Good Luck
x

HIIT training is great for burning fat and boosts your metabolism for the rest of the day :)

Obviously you're seeing results which is great. I agree - 30mins plodding on a treadmill would bore me to tears lol.

Forgive me for sounding rude as I know you have good intentions for everyone's health but that is not evidence. That's your opinion of doctors and this diet. My doctor did not recommend any diet to me, I did my research and decided upon it myself. All my doctor did was tell me I was in good health when I started and confirmed I am still in good health now. :)

You should google it - there's plenty of evidence if you look for it.
And there's nothing healthy about essentially starving yourself 2 days a week.

Good Luck
x

Discovering leptin has changed my life and diet. It's fabulous.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I've done my research, all the studies I've found were positive, hence why I asked if anyone had found anything to the contrary. I also do alternate fasting which is every other day not two days a week. Since it is not confirmed what the most effective fasting method is maybe the OP could try every other day and see if that helped?

Latest posts

Back