A business ONLY Facebook

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockateer

Reaction score
Hi geeks
Could i pick you brain if you do not mind please?
I came across the thread strated months back re google/search optimisation etc and so i wanted to ask yee experienced geeks what ye think of this call-
I had a lady ring me there before New Years saying they were starting a company which was a social networking website targeted at businesses, i.e I would have a "profile " page etc (sounding similar to facbook- a wall etc)
Then It would be up to me to recruit my pals to join my profile (sounds like "like" on FB)
then all the people of all the businesses who join would sign up - presumablt theyre hoping all the businesses will get their friends to join....
All the people will be emailed all the relevant offers....(similar to Living Social type concept)
The business is targted at local businesses-all trades etc not just beauty, and not for the large shops....and the idea ( I live in Dulin, Ireland) is that the shopper/client can type in the area of the town they live in and find me, see my offers, get emails etc
i.e they type in the postcode area etc and all the business will show, all the special offers, recently added status' etc -like a hompage (from what it sounds like) Like an interactive yellow pages she said
I asked how it differs from FB..... she said that on FB its not just businesses etc obvioulsy....
All for 5 euro a month
The only thing apart from the fee is I have to have a special off/sale/competiton etc on the 12th of each month
That way all businesses listed are having a sale on the same date
They seem to think this will draw people...that the people joining ("liking") the page and then the email notification will have a large amount of ppl checking the website daily
They did say that it was like a mini webpage for each business, allowing interaction from the customer/client
Im unsure if its a good idea, am clueless and always seem to pay these ppl, but i think this is reasonable and differnt to what ive been approcahed with before -am i worng??
I have recently posted FB questions so am definitelythinking along the website lines.....
HELP:!:

Can't see the benefit myself. Much better to have your own website and a facebook business page. You need to be accessible by your clients where they are and in most cases that is Facebook.

May

I know NOTHING about these things :lol: but the only thought I had was, if everyone is having an offer on the 12th of every month, would that not create a bit of an offer war? Also would you get clients the rest of the month or would clients always be waiting for the 12th to see what offer you were doing?

Like I said, I know nothing about these things, but that was my thought?

xxx

Can't see the benefit myself. Much better to have your own website and a facebook business page. You need to be accessible by your clients where they are and in most cases that is Facebook.

Mat

I'm with Mat on this; Facebook is *free* to use (and you have the option of running targeted paid advertising on there too if you want to), as well as being the most widely used social networking platform currently in use.

So Facebook will give you a wide audience *now*, as opposed to paying some start-up 5 euros a month (who almost certainly don't have a proven track record, nor that many potential clients for you either yet) and then finding that your profits take a hit on the 12th of every month because of having to do the discount every month!

I'm *always* sceptical of cold-callers too... I much prefer to take the time to research all the different options, rather than being pressurised on the spot by some pushy salesperson on the other end of a phone!

Thanks geeks
I too share the same opinion Ruth regarding being pressurised into the sell etc..... however she wasqite calm and non pushy, more informative etc, no hard sales oing on,

The idea is to target the local people , as opposed to faceook where you have no idea of locating the local businesses unless you know the correct name etc

This directory for want of a better idea is claiming to be encouraging people to shop local and people can come across you rather than haing to search for you

Am I making sense

Thats the idea that appeals to me......I for example would pop my home town in to this website and all businesses in my area would show up....

Yes i totally agree their would be a price war,especially wen people will travel crazy distances to get something for less....

Much in the way Yell does or Google for that matter. The problem isn't having your business listed on there ... it is why would someone else, a potential customer, use it.

As a client why am I going to go to this website? I find most businesses I use now through Google.

You may use it because you now know about it, but how are clients going to find the site to use?

If you are interested get them to give you a two or three month free listing. If it is as good as they say you will get several referrals and happily pay up. If they are all talk and no substance you won't get anything, and you won't have lost anything.

Much in the way Yell does or Google for that matter. The problem isn't having your business listed on there ... it is why would someone else, a potential customer, use it.

As a client why am I going to go to this website? I find most businesses I use now through Google.

You may use it because you now know about it, but how are clients going to find the site to use?

If you are interested get them to give you a two or three month free listing. If it is as good as they say you will get several referrals and happily pay up. If they are all talk and no substance you won't get anything, and you won't have lost anything.

Mat, you're so right there; although having one's business listed on directory websites can help with search engine optimisation, as every place that your website is listed like that counts as a "backlink" for SEO purposes, which should boost your site's position on Google.

Although - my personal take on that is to use all the *free* directory listing sites you can find - and not to be bamboozled by salespeople into taking out a *paid* listing - as it probably won't make much difference at all for SEO as to whether it's a free listing or a paid listing - and I agree with you that most people will probably find your website by just doing a Google search anyway rather than by using a specific directory website, e.g. yell.com or whatever.

If it helps, here's a list of "free" places I've found where you can list your business and website...

http://www.google.co.uk/local/add
FreeIndex - The free UK business directory
Hot Frog - Your UK Business Directory
United Kingdom jobs, cars, property, free classifieds and more - Gumtree.com
Free business listing, free advertising - online UK business directory
London Reviews, London Top Restaurants, Pubs, Shopping, Nightlife, Services and More | Tipped
Scoot | Scoot Home - UK Business Finder
http://www.sheriffratings.com/
London Restaurants, Dentists, Pubs, Beauty Salons, Doctors
London Restaurants, Bars, Gigs, Hotels, Events & more
MoreUK.com
UKs Local Business Directory of Local & National Businesses - Ufindus
Smile Local
Party, Event and Wedding Planning - Plan Weddings, Parties, and Events online

Jeez ruth thanks a mill, ill see if there are irish equivalents!
I see both your points and the more I read your opinions the more sense it makes

The lady said that people would find us in the similar manner as Facebook, through people liking the page basically, id add my friends to the page(through email) and it would be word of mouth( or whatever the equivalent is through internet|!!!!) Thus having a following/fans basically

They(the ladys company) would email people daily with offers relevant to their hometown,all localbusinesses would use the website, thus adding their own friends , making a profile for themselves... so all local people would become familiar with name due to businesses adding them/signage in local shops..increase interest...on a local scale

I would put a sign in my window stating im using their service....find me on the website etc

Thats how they aim to raise the profile of the name
Id be listed under my town name in Beauty category.....
Ithink it makes sense just had never come across this idea before, often approached by yellow pages etc to be lised but not in a profile format(although through researching it i came cross citylocal.co.uk...seems similar concept??? Have yee heard of that?
Was intrigued to see if this style company is widely out there
I will defintiely discuss a free period.....and will look into the free advertising.
What is SEO??????????????????????/
Thanks guys, x

Latest posts

Back