A New Era?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well tbh i never had nss in mind when i wrote my post. I was more thinking that these new products/techniques and aids seem to be phasing out the hand built enhancement due to their speed and benefits to the tech and client.

Gigi you know better than me,i haven't been around for so long,Minx was new and dashing diva,Shellac etc weren't even on the market,however looking at what people are wearing just now,you (I) rarely see anyone sporting a french white enhancement and locally on the odd occasion i have,it's been a white tip ! However people are wearing enamel or hybrids and minx ,which led me to the lazy part :D

If a client for example wanted short uniform nails with colour,i woudn't hand build, i'd poppit lol So i wonder are these services taking over the enhancements ,because they are superior enough to stand alone rather than an add on service ?

No, they are not taking over .. it is not a case of taking over .. they are adding choices. the more choice the more we can offer a bespoke service.

No, they are not taking over .. it is not a case of taking over .. they are adding choices. the more choice the more we can offer a bespoke service.

Fair point. I suppose i'm questioning myself as much as anything else,in regards to what services to really focus ...... long term investment.

This thread has made a really interesting read :hug:

This is a great thread and very interesting to see everyones opinions.

I started my own business just a few months ago, and started providing Shellac at the end of May. It has almost completely taken over, clients absolutely love it! I'd say clients who had previously come for gels now get Shellac, and the feedback I've had from them says they love the wearability, the compliments they get from people, the ease of removal, and how it doesnt damage their natural nails, quite the opposite, it gives their nails a chance to grow and strenghten, and they come back for it as regular as clockwork which is great for my income! I'd say 80% of my services is now for Shellac.

I do still have the acrylic extension lovers, and I will be introducing Minx as of next week and expect to be busy with this as I've promoting it like mad and with the Christmas season round the corner I'm sure it will be very popular.

I do have a worry that my skills in gel and acrylic may fade as I'm not doing them that regularly now, but to combat that I will either run a special offer at discounted price, or grab a friend and offer them a free set from time to time, even thought it's free, it's all good advertising isn't it?

I'm still fairly new to the industry, but it is so exciting to keep up with the latest products and innovations, I like to think that when I'm excited about a product, that same enthusiasm for it rubs off onto my clients, Shellac is a great example of this.

Julie x

This is a great thread and very interesting to see everyones opinions.

I started my own business just a few months ago, and started providing Shellac at the end of May. It has almost completely taken over, clients absolutely love it! I'd say clients who had previously come for gels now get Shellac, and the feedback I've had from them says they love the wearability, the compliments they get from people, the ease of removal, and how it doesnt damage their natural nails, quite the opposite, it gives their nails a chance to grow and strenghten, and they come back for it as regular as clockwork which is great for my income! I'd say 80% of my services is now for Shellac.

I do still have the acrylic extension lovers, and I will be introducing Minx as of next week and expect to be busy with this as I've promoting it like mad and with the Christmas season round the corner I'm sure it will be very popular.

I do have a worry that my skills in gel and acrylic may fade as I'm not doing them that regularly now, but to combat that I will either run a special offer at discounted price, or grab a friend and offer them a free set from time to time, even thought it's free, it's all good advertising isn't it?

I'm still fairly new to the industry, but it is so exciting to keep up with the latest products and innovations, I like to think that when I'm excited about a product, that same enthusiasm for it rubs off onto my clients, Shellac is a great example of this.

Julie x

I think you make a really good point here.

These new products are taking the industry and public by storm and we are still in the honeymoon phase where clients like to try new things.

When the dust settles we will see how many clients we have left having their usual extensions and how many have transferred to Shellac, Gelish, GELeration or whatever their chosen product is.

I will not be concerned that I will lose my skills as I have been doing extensions for over 12 years so it is second nature now but your point of not having been in the industry very long is a good one.

You need to look to new clients for the gel polish services, this is where the real benefit to us is. Those ladies who never thought they would have their nails done in a salon or by a tech because the polish just doesn't last long enough!

We will always have our die hard extension clients it is just a matter of dividing the 2 treatments into 2 different categories. It is not a matter of trying to convert your extension clients to Shellac or whatever it is a matter of finding the right client for the right treatment.

It will settle in time, and then they will invent something else for us to go mad over! :green:

I think you make a really good point here.

These new products are taking the industry and public by storm and we are still in the honeymoon phase where clients like to try new things.

When the dust settles we will see how many clients we have left having their usual extensions and how many have transferred to Shellac, Gelish, GELeration or whatever their chosen product is.

I will not be concerned that I will lose my skills as I have been doing extensions for over 12 years so it is second nature now but your point of not having been in the industry very long is a good one.

You need to look to new clients for the gel polish services, this is where the real benefit to us is. Those ladies who never thought they would have their nails done in a salon or by a tech because the polish just doesn't last long enough!

We will always have our die hard extension clients it is just a matter of dividing the 2 treatments into 2 different categories. It is not a matter of trying to convert your extension clients to Shellac or whatever it is a matter of finding the right client for the right treatment.

It will settle in time, and then they will invent something else for us to go mad over! :green:

I wonder what that might be, She? What do you think? An l&p that files like butter, perhaps? Clip on tips in an assortment of hues, so that they're interchangeable with your colour scheme for the day, maybe?

What would we really like someone to invent next? :green:

Last edited:
Nothing too easy though as we would all be out of a job! :eek:

Latest posts

Back