Before asking "Who should I train with?", read this from an older newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
Just lately there has been so many people asking on here who should I train with?

So as a relative newbie to nails even tho Im older in age I thought I would just put my experiences in and two pennies for what its worth.

Before letting go of your precious pennies think about this. Would you pay for a second rate hairdo. Go somewhere to have your car fixed who doesn't keep up with the latest technology for your car. Would you buy clothes that aren't up to date and good quality. If the answer is no then why would you train with a company that doesn't offer, 5* customer service, up to the minute training and products that are sold all over the world.

When I started in nails three years ago I didnt heed the advice of the geeks on here and I went
for an NVQ2. Now Im not knocking the NVQ at all however success is in the hands of your teacher and mine wasn't all that good.

Why oh why didn't I listen and go with CND, lots advised me, some begged me (not really) but I thought that I would go the easy route. Pay cheap pay twice and I did. The thing I hated the most was the fact that every time CND brought something new out I felt left out because Id taken a different route. The products I trained with aren't even mentioned nowadays and the ongoing training was non existent.

So if you are serious about becoming the best you can be, if you want to feel part of a family and go with a company that especially this year is bringing out such phenomenal products that really are revolutionising the industry. Then its CND all the way.

Just to let you know Im just a small part time nail tech, I don't own a big salon or anything and Ive even left CND for while myself and tried something different, but guess what Im back again
and not going anywhere this time.

Just think long and hard about what you want to achieve, where you want to go, and save long and hard for a training course that you wont regret at the end of the day.

Could I just add to this post that I am CND trained and love it but there are other very good companies out there who have just as good a reputation, ie NSI, Young Nails, etc. My intention with this thread is to try to say don't take shortcuts, the one day acrylic/gel courses just aren't going to cut it and you don't get the lifelong commitment that you will get with a company that is totally nail orientated. If the company doesnt keep your passion alive, doesnt excite you on a regular basis, how can you possible aspire to be the best that you can. THAT is what you should be looking for whoever you choose to train with.

My sincerest apologies if I offended anyone it was not my intention.

:hug: xxxx

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your experiences. The reasons you mentioned are the exact things that have pushed me into wanting to go with CND. As with anything, if you want to be the best you can then train with the very best that you possibly can.

It's great that you have found a company that is right for you, but believe it or not there is also other quality courses available from other companies too.

I am serious about nails and serious about my business but I didn't choose CND. It's not the only route into this industry, and it's not suited to everyone.

I know the tone of the post is to try and help newbies to the industry, but I feel it is quite biased towards one company when there are other quality courses available.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

It's great that you have found a company that is right for you, but believe it or not there is also other quality courses available from other companies too.

I am serious about nails and serious about my business but I didn't choose CND. It's not the only route into this industry, and it's not suited to everyone.

I know the tone of the post is to try and help newbies to the industry, but I feel it is quite biased towards one company when there are other quality courses available.

K-Nails... I of course loved your post... I think it does help newbies who feel that by paying less may still be worth while. I also want to take the time to thank NoticeableNails for her post. I believe she has been with NSI for a long time and they are a good company...

It is up to the individual to be pro-active and find what is best for them. NN found what is best for her... A long time ago, I found what was best for me... I believe that nowadays it can't just be up to good working products but also how you are treated, what bang you get for your buck and the respect you are given as a nail stylist. That is what we ... S2 ... Are all about.

NoticeableNails... If you ever consider anything else... We're there for you. Thanks for your post. Many will appreciate your point of view!!!

Love & Respect
Samantha Sweet

Hi hun,

Im very sorry I didnt mean to try and say that only CND was best I wrote that a little late last night lol. I have added another paragraph at the bottom to say this. My honest intention was to try to tell newbies in this industry that short cuts dont work. I have no experience of NSI but have heard some very
good things about them.
:hug: xxxxx

I hope many aspiring nail technicians will read and learn something from this post.

For more than 10 years, salon geek has been advocating that those seeking to enter the nail industry find the best education they can afford.

Find a reputable company to train you with the best quality products that have been attested to by thousands of others. To do anything else will not get you where you want to go and will cost you much more both in money and in delaying your development in the end.

K-Nails, what a lovely, thoughtful post. I hope the people you have aimed this at read it and listen to you.

I'd like to add that if you can't afford the training you want or can't get to the course of your choice then save and wait until you can. So many write on here that they can't afford their chosen course so will have to do a cheaper one. Or have not time to attend the best course so take a second or third best.

False economy

K Nails,I couldnt have said it better myself and agree with everything you said.......i too went for cheaper training and products as well as the nvq 2 in nails and regret not going with cnd years ago as my friend did and she was far better than me quicker!! i just couldnt afford cnd or so i thought.....if i added up what ive spent over the years with the cheaper ones it would far exceed what it would have with cnd......i learnt a valuable lesson that you DO get what you pay for.......but it wasnt just the training at the time and the products but the customer service and aftercare........YES there are other companies out there and yes other techs get on great with their products but i didnt just want a product, i wanted MORE!!!! and i get that with cnd and s2 xxx

I was very lucky in that my college tutor was excellent and the course was 23 weeks, one day per week, so no rushing. However, that was pure luck as I had no idea what I was signing up for. I would recommend finding out name of tutor and products used and researching both.

Thank you for your post. Its certainly helped me as has this forum. I toy with the idea of 'trying ' to train how it can fit in with my life (bit hard this year as all my holiday is spoken for) but I know waiting till the year after is my best option as I can train with CND. I want the best and I know deep down it is the one for me.

You've helped me xx

Thank you for your post. Its certainly helped me as has this forum. I toy with the idea of 'trying ' to train how it can fit in with my life (bit hard this year as all my holiday is spoken for) but I know waiting till the year after is my best option as I can train with CND. I want the best and I know deep down it is the one for me.

You've helped me xx

:hug: bless you and thank you, that was my aim with the post not to advocate just one company but to give my real feelings as I have been growing and learning about nails. How I felt about the initial training I received and how gutted I felt when I realised I had wasted a lot of time and money.

Im 45 years old and have finally found something that I love, I also love the passion that fellow geeks have instilled in me to become better. This week im booking onto the master painter course, let me tell you if you had seen my first set I nails I painted three years ago never in a zillion years would I have gone for a Master Painter and yet now I cant wait.

Good luck my lovely and Im so glad Ive helped you.

xxxxx

K-Nails, what a lovely, thoughtful post. I hope the people you have aimed this at read it and listen to you.

I'd like to add that if you can't afford the training you want or can't get to the course of your choice then save and wait until you can. So many write on here that they can't afford their chosen course so will have to do a cheaper one. Or have not time to attend the best course so take a second or third best.

False economy

Thank you Mum coming from you that means a whole lot and I definitely agree to save until you can afford the course you really want, whats that old saying Act in haste, repent at leisure :eek: xxxx

K Nails,I couldnt have said it better myself and agree with everything you said.......i too went for cheaper training and products as well as the nvq 2 in nails and regret not going with cnd years ago as my friend did and she was far better than me quicker!! i just couldnt afford cnd or so i thought.....if i added up what ive spent over the years with the cheaper ones it would far exceed what it would have with cnd......i learnt a valuable lesson that you DO get what you pay for.......but it wasnt just the training at the time and the products but the customer service and aftercare........YES there are other companies out there and yes other techs get on great with their products but i didnt just want a product, i wanted MORE!!!! and i get that with cnd and s2 xxx

Thank you Souz and yes I know how much you love CND I've been reading your posts about the event lol Ive never seen anyone as enthusiastic as you, I just wish I was going would have been nice to meet you. Have a fantastic time and when you get back send me a message all about it xxxx

I think I've been lucky with my NVQ 2 course as my teachers are great and I have already trained with CND as part of an enrichment in the college. Plus at the end of the course we are encouraged to do the conversion course with CND as well :)

I think I've been lucky with my NVQ 2 course as my teachers are great and I have already trained with CND as part of an enrichment in the college. Plus at the end of the course we are encouraged to do the conversion course with CND as well :)

Wow now you are lucky i wish my course had been like that, thats excellent xx

Latest posts

Back