A plea respecting the titles of Threads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
can-someone-help-please.

help please!

Oh, the cheek of it!

What shall I do?

Help- Why has this happened to the nail?

Can we please get this right?

Right .. just thought I would post a few examples of thread titles that have appeared just recently. Why?

Because the site commandments specifically ask all of us to choose titles that reflect the subject of our thread so that the fantastic search engine here on salongeek.com can use pertinent words to help people who search for the topic they are interested in.

None of the titles above will ever get found on a search, by the topic, as the topic is not mentioned in any of the titles.
Please can we all try to better in this regard and bear in mind the SEARCH facility which is one of the best tools salongeek.com has and one which we all ask people to use!!

If you had any idea how much time is spent by the moderators of the site .. changing titles, correcting lower case title words to capital letters and removing !!!!!! these things you would be aghast.

Maybe we could all keep in our minds both the titles and respecting brand names and capitalizing them as well as the first word in ALL titles. We call ourselves professionals .. lets act like professionals and show pride not only in the content but in the look of our site instead of leaving it to others to do it for us.

Do you agree or disagree?

I have to agree.

We have to remember that this in an international site and not everyone speaks English as their first language.

Writing pleeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeeee or Heeeeeeelllllllllllllpppppppppp really adds nothing to the title. Neither does the use of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or ??????????????????

So, when starting a thread, ask yourself: does my title reflect what I am asking? If someone is just learning English, could they understand it?

Thanking everyone in advance! :hug:

My humsbums is restraining me as we speak. It drives me to distraction (admittedly that's a very short journey for me).
As does txt spk.
Grr.

I couldn't agree more!

Some of us are very busy and only have a few minutes to check the forums in the day. I usually scan the thread titles and see if any of them interest me.

If I see a title like "Help... what do I do?"... then I'll usually ignore it, as I simply don't have the time to click into it and see what it's about.

I love the search facility on this site and have often spent longer than I should looking for an answer to a question I have, as the thread title doesn't include the right question.

You'll find you'll get a lot more help and more replies if the title has the correct information and doesn't just say "Help... what'll I do?".

:biggrin:

What do you feel about the 'agony aunt' nature of chitchat as well, is this ok as its seen as 'staff room chatter'?

Ah I hadn't considered the search function when writing my thread titles- thanks for bringing it to my attention! SG search function is priceless! Will bear this in mind in future x

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

The totally un-professional approach from many drives us all nuts ... I say, take what we do seriously, peeps and project yourself as you would wish to be seen.

Salongeek.com is the largest site in the whole wide word for salon professionals -- trillions of people will see what you write and how you write it. Remember that.

The totally un-professional approach from many drives us all nuts ... I say, take what we do seriously, peeps and project yourself as you would wish to be seen.

Salongeek.com is the largest site in the whole wide word for salon professionals -- trillions of people will see what you write and how you write it. Remember that.

Though I'm not guilty of the title thread misuse, I am most certainly guilty of the latter....unprofessional projection. I have a tendency towards wanting to punch folks in the throat. It's very American of me. :wink2:

Please, Gigi, as my friend, keep me on the straight and narrow.

Though I'm not guilty of the title thread misuse, I am most certainly guilty of the latter....unprofessional projection. I have a tendency towards wanting to punch folks in the throat. It's very American of me. :wink2:

Please, Gigi, as my friend, keep me on the straight and narrow.
You may have allot of fun, tAMMI my friend, and there is nothing wrong with that ... we don't all have to be boring old **rts! I'm just as guilty according to some as I do not care for fools any more than you do! But the fools usually end up showing clearly exactly what they are like as people ... give em enough rope and they always hang themselves.
I'll be at my brothers from the 27th Tammi ... hope to see you if possible. We need another few hours of girl time to catch up. :Love:

You may have allot of fun, tAMMI my friend, and there is nothing wrong with that ... we don't all have to be boring old **rts! I'm just as guilty according to some as I do not care for fools any more than you do! But the fools usually end up showing clearly exactly what they are like as people ... give em enough rope and they always hang themselves.
I'll be at my brothers from the 27th Tammi ... hope to see you if possible. We need another few hours of girl time to catch up. :Love:

After 27th of November? Oh my word! Absolutely!!!!

This time I'll won't feel so inclined as to throw myself in front of a bus. You know what I mean. :wink2:

Because you only have to search something on google about nails and salon geek instantly comes up, a client could search something and come across salon geek and can see all of what professionals write about clients, experiences, rants etc etc. Treat Salon geek like a stage and you are in the spot light

E xx

After 27th of November? Oh my word! Absolutely!!!!

This time I'll won't feel so inclined as to throw myself in front of a bus. You know what I mean. :wink2:
lol I hear you .. though I never would have known. Loved every minute of our time together ... so did Simon. xx

What do you feel about the 'agony aunt' nature of chitchat as well, is this ok as its seen as 'staff room chatter'?

I would still say, think before you push the button.

Back to the topic of your thread, Gigi, when I see threads titled vaguely, I don't even bother with them.

Does the OP have a viable question? Does the OP desperately need assistance? Is it a thought provoking thread? Maybe all of the above.

When you're looking at a forum full of vague thread titles, your eyes are going to be drawn to thread titles that tell you what is contained within the thread. That's just human nature.

The way I see it, if you don't want to take the time to draw my attention, I don't want to waste my time on guess work.

Is anyone reading this thread...and retaining the information given within it?

So far I have changed 10 thread titles tonight, and I have only been on for an hour ;)

My edits range from removing some excessive ?? and !!s to adding the real subject to a HELP thread. The vast majority though are just adding a capital letter to the first word of a title...really ? Even geeks on smart phones dont they automatically start a sentence with a capital... Mine does!

Amen to this. :)

Ignore anything hhhhhheeeellp related, and the re emergence of txtspk and predictive text blunders are also on the increase.

Amen to this. :)

Ignore anything hhhhhheeeellp related, and the re emergence of txtspk and predictive text blunders are also on the increase.

I am guilty of the predictive text errors! It's a pain in the a*** when you're in a hurry. The iPhone predictive text is awful and I sometimes don't get time to proof read :/ sorry
Xxx
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using SalonGeek

I hear you with the iPhone mind of its own predictive text! :))
I know it's an easy mistake to make, but some posts are pretty much illegible!

I am guilty of the predictive text errors! It's a pain in the a*** when you're in a hurry. The iPhone predictive text is awful and I sometimes don't get time to proof read :/ sorry
Xxx
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using SalonGeek

Why don't you have time to proof read ?
The world won't end and SG won't crash if you don't post your thoughts immediately. :lol:...that goes for everyone, not just you!

The predictive text on iPhone comes up with ridiculous words at times, and I always have to redo part of my posts even then can miss something.THEN I go back into my post and EDIT! I don't do another post pointing out the mistake and correcting it :rolleyes:

Proof reading is essential on here, it's not just about the look of the post, but reading over your posts a few times before hitting the send button can stop you posting in haste, and that would solve a multitide of problems on here ;)

I say, if you are in a hurry, then don't post at all until you are not! As izzi says, the the world won't stop because your post is not sent in a hurry. The lack of thought is getting worse not better ... Just asking for a little thought and care for the site and how we appear to the rest of the world. Many try hard to set good examples ... Bout time a few more followed them IMHO.

Latest posts

Back