A Question From College Which I Don't Reckon Is Answered Right

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairdresser18

Reaction score
Hi, I was reading thorugh my hairdressing books to refresh my knowledge last night and i came across a question that I answered but then put an (x) next to it so i dunno if this is right. The question was: a client comes in with 1/2" of regrowth with no grey and ask you to match her previous tint. How would you go about this? I answered : I mix some of her natural base shade with her previous colour to make it look more natural but do a strand test to make sure tone is right. Is that right as I dont get why I would have to mix her natural base shade as it would already be on her roots. I would just have to take her coloured hair and match it with the shade chart and test the colours, yea?
i dont get why you have to mix her natural colour with her previous colour how would that actually work as say she was a 4 and her lengths and ends where a 6,3 you would mix a 4 and 6,3 together? doesnt sound right. My teacher ticked it aswell and I dont trust that.

hey, im still at college so may be wrong, but that doesn't sound rite to me. Wouldn't that make it a base shade 5, not a 6? x

You are correct, you would not mix her natural colour in with the tint, just target shade. The only time natural base is mixed in, is for grey coverage eg client grey but prev base 4 wants to be 6.3. You mix 6 and 6.3 together in that instance, not 4 and 6.3.

hey yea thanks i was beggining to doubt that but i need to tell my teacher that it was wrong, i think she went it through with us in theory and we chatted and all came up with one answer and in this case she made us put stupid answers such as what i put above she made us write. yep you only mixed base shades with a target of the same base if the client has grey hair.
thanks guys,
some tutors are rubbish lol

Many 'teachers' teach from the books, down to typos and misprints. The biggest reason for investing in ongoing training is to widen your knowledge base. There are more than a few ways to get a result, and you'll find the more options you have the more success you will have.
Pers is right, go strait to your target, natural has no place in that scenario.

Latest posts

Back