A removal company to take us to France

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelxdevil

Geeky Sac Waxer
Reaction score
As many of you know I'm due to move to France - 7 weeks time exactly.

We've had loads of quotes for a removal company to come along and load the lorry and then take the stuff to France and then help unload the other end.

Only thing is we were going with one company who quoted us £1,200.00 which we thought was really good, others were far too expensive. They've now come back and told us that it will be double the price...

As you can probably imagine we're running around (as much as I can) like blue ar*e flies trying to get reasonable quotes but they are all in the £2k mark. last week we had a guy come round with a long wheel based transit van and said, oh it'll be £700.00 per trip and you'll need at least 3 trips....

Can anyone help us by recommending a company/individual - someone - anyone lol????

Could you not just rent a van and do the move yourself.Save a lot of money:)

This may have to be the case. Dad is looking into it the French end.

This may have to be the case. Dad is looking into it the French end.
It would definately be my choice.I can think of far better things to spend my hard earned cash on than removals.

I know it is hard work but from the money point of view it would be worth it eh! xx

cheers honey x

hi sarah
hi i know i went from newcastle but that is one thing i regret I was quoted a price from pickfords and i thougt it was high so i went with another company .
Cut a long story short they broke down, late ,didnt pack my stuff correct in the van and when it arrived well just say i was not happy. My boxes were broken , furniture scratched . All i can say is get a well known company and you know your stuff will be okay.If i have any advise get a good company it costs you alot to replace.
good luck

helpful advice honey x

Why don't you check out the BAR (British Association of Removers) website,

BAR 2006

You should be able to get a few more contacts. It might be worth seeing if any companies will price match.

thanks for that Amanda, I'll give it a go x

Could you not just rent a van and do the move yourself.Save a lot of money:)

I would have thought in Sarah's condition the last thing she would need would be self removal... it is soooo stressful, especially if you are pregnant. When we moved 4 and half years ago we moved 5 miles and it cost us £600 (that included packing up for us too and packing materials) going all the way to France for around £2k sounds expensive but realistic to me?

It all depends on how fit you are, how many helpers you can rope in and if you feel up to it.. best of luck with your search and decisions Sarah :hug:

Well I've been quoted £2k to move to Spain - and that's without any real furniture!!! But this is all my prized possessions that they are moving and with a company that has been recommended by several people, so I am happy to pay it. I've been moved by a cowboy outfit before and it can really be upsetting to see your stuff broken and knackered. Plus they do all the packing the day before you move so no need to live in bpxes for weeks. It really is stress free.

I would have thought in Sarah's condition the last thing she would need would be self removal... it is soooo stressful, especially if you are pregnant. When we moved 4 and half years ago we moved 5 miles and it cost us £600 (that included packing up for us too and packing materials) going all the way to France for around £2k sounds expensive but realistic to me?

It all depends on how fit you are, how many helpers you can rope in and if you feel up to it.. best of luck with your search and decisions Sarah :hug:
Well obviously I wasn't implying that she did the removal herself.I was thinking family /friends.We have when I was expecting and we did it ourselves with lots of people roped in for good measure,this was what I was suggesting to Sarah.

At the end of the day,Its down to what you can afford,If money is an issue then obviously moving yourself can be a very good option.

Well obviously I wasn't implying that she did the removal herself.I was thinking family /friends.We have when I was expecting and we did it ourselves with lots of people roped in for good measure,this was what I was suggesting to Sarah.

At the end of the day,Its down to what you can afford,If money is an issue then obviously moving yourself can be a very good option.

Yes I agree.. I know you wasnt implying Sarah moved it herself lol! but if its family and friends then it can be so stressful. I wasn't disagreeing with you hun, just saying my 2 peneth worth of opinion :hug:

At the end of the day it is down to what you can afford, and if there are LOTS of helpers then maybe this is a good option to consider.. but if there are not many helpers in the bag.. then the more costly removal firm might be worth the cost when you way up the overall health and stress benefits in the long run.

JMO!

Yes I agree.. I know you wasnt implying Sarah moved it herself lol! but if its family and friends then it can be so stressful. I wasn't disagreeing with you hun, just saying my 2 peneth worth of opinion :hug:

At the end of the day it is down to what you can afford, and if there are LOTS of helpers then maybe this is a good option to consider.. but if there are not many helpers in the bag.. then the more costly removal firm might be worth the cost when you way up the overall health and stress benefits in the long run.

JMO!
Yes I agree with you,:hug: and it is one of the most stressful times in a persons life and something I am going to be going through next Easter when we start looking for a new house:eek: xx

Well I've been quoted £2k to move to Spain - and that's without any real furniture!!! But this is all my prized possessions that they are moving and with a company that has been recommended by several people, so I am happy to pay it. I've been moved by a cowboy outfit before and it can really be upsetting to see your stuff broken and knackered. Plus they do all the packing the day before you move so no need to live in bpxes for weeks. It really is stress free.

This is the way I felt about our move.. the time before my hubby and I and a few family members moved us in cars and a transit van and it was horrendous.. and that was only 2 miles away.... so we vowed if we ever moved again we wouldnt do it ourselves and would budget firmly for the move before we stared the whole ball rolling. Our move went so smoothly, we knew we were insured for breakages/fire/theft etc etc. The guys came around the day before and started professionally packing.. it was great lol!

Yes I agree with you,:hug: and it is one of the most stressful times in a persons life and something I am going to be going through next Easter when we start looking for a new house:eek: xx

Its exciting to be up rooting and starting afresh but its such a strain isnt it? My hubby and I are still considering emmigrating at some stage... but I need to get rid of an attic of boxes that havent been even opened in over 8 years lol! I need to have a clean sweep before we decide then I might get the urge to move then lol!

Best of luck with your move at Easter :)

When we moved it cost a lot more than the original quotation. The company packed and wrapped for us, apart from personal stuff like clothes etc. We had 3 months storage costs and were moving a bit further away from UK than you.
Our original quote was for approx £1,200-1,500 and ended up being just over £3,000. This was because we'd underestimated just how much stuff we wanted to take with us.
Don't be surprised at a bill of over £2,000.
Our other original quotes from other 2 other companies were a lot more than our eventual bill :!:
I personally recommend getting a company to move you rather than rely on friends and family, it's a big enough stress moving abroad without having to worry about the removals.

Its exciting to be up rooting and starting afresh but its such a strain isnt it? My hubby and I are still considering emmigrating at some stage... but I need to get rid of an attic of boxes that havent been even opened in over 8 years lol! I need to have a clean sweep before we decide then I might get the urge to move then lol!

Best of luck with your move Easter :)

Oh yes,it's exciting and I cant wait.But I get stressed over moving,hubby in the forces so moved around loads in our lifetime.It will be great though as we are in rented accommodation and I cant wait to have our own house again,just wish the prices would come down a little:eek:

I would gladly emigrate tomorrow if I had my way.Thankyou for the best wishes.xx

Latest posts

Back