A thread for those starting an NVQ in Beauty in September

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jelous of you doin spray tanning! We only do manual, spray is level 3! Xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Haha don't get too jealous! Not everyone in my class is great at it and thus I am patchy today doh! I had to be the spray tan model today for somebody so didn't do much but I get to have another run through on Thursday as I have no need to do a facial unlike the rest of the class hehe

Hows everyone getting on? Super busy by the looks of it, no posts in nearly 2 weeks!

Hoping I could pick all your brains for inspiration? For one of my face/body painting assesments I need to base it on "cultures and traditions", really struggling for ideas! I did want to do day of the dead but a friend in a different class has done this already, hate to copy!

Also looking for ideas for my wig weaving assesment! Basicaly I have to create and colour a hair piece to add into a themed look. I was originally going to do a leopard print hair piece, but decided to save that for my final assesment (image based on a theme) as I can go all out on face and body painting. For this assesment im only graded on the hair.

I promise im not being lazy asking you all, im wrecking my brain for ideas! Think I was born imaginatively challenged ( if thats even a thing haha)

Hope everyones well xx

Why dont you try indian traditions and go for a henna style look? that could be cool.

Im doing well, looking forward to time off at Christmas though! Got a distinction in my spray tan this week too :) so thats 3 distinctions in my sumatives under my belt so far :D

Why dont you try indian traditions and go for a henna style look? that could be cool.

Im doing well, looking forward to time off at Christmas though! Got a distinction in my spray tan this week too :) so thats 3 distinctions in my sumatives under my belt so far :D

You know what, I hadnt even thought about the theme in that way, examples we were given were simple things like halloween and xmas! Given me a cracking idea.... Aboriginal!

Well done on your distinctions! Theres no better feeling than knowing there wasnt a higher grade than what you got!

Im waiting to hear wether id be allowed to do 2 additional units, facials and waxing! If im allowed, I will have completed a level 2 beauty by the end of the year, by combining the units between my nail qualification and the 1 im working towards :D xx

Speak with your tutor to check its ok first and that she is agreeable, then call S2 and ask them to contact your tutor, give them her name and contact number and they will contact as proof that you have completed and passed your mani/pedi. They are very good like that :)
Hth.

Hi there! Thanks for that :) spoke to my head of year and she said that would be no problem so I will be able to do that at the end of January when I'm finished Mani/pedi :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi there! Thanks for that :) spoke to my head of year and she said that would be no problem so I will be able to do that at the end of January when I'm finished Mani/pedi :)

That's fab, I'm glad I could help :)

Sorry ladies, have just had other things going on. College is great! Started on clients for waxing so done 2 of my 10 formatives, got my summative for make up when I go back, then that's that out the way.

Started pedis! Loving that!

Hope your all ok!

Enjoy your break!

xxxx

Oh Chezza I need to do my make-up summative in jan too along with tinting and eyebrow shaping (with tweezers). Felt it was an achievement that im down to only those summatives to do as loads of my class still have formatives to do and summatives in more subjects than me. At least January will be somewhat stress free for me while we learn manis and pedis :D

Hope Santa was good to all my fellow geeks in training and got yall some stuff to help with your future in beauty :D

I actually bought myself some bits with money I was given before Christmas (blogged about some of the make-up bits last night) and got the Urban Decay Naked pallet today.... but I need to change it - its one in the velvet case, I need the one in carboard... it sounds silly but I have a huge phobia of velvet lol

OH is also buying me a wax pot kit but i advised him NOT to get it the week before Christmas to wait until the next vat free day :)

Sorry I havent been on for a while college/work life has been crazy!

We have finally started our exams, I did my first waxing exam Monday and passed with 75% Im not very happy with that and would have liked at least 80% but I think im just being to hard on myself as it is a pass and I will only have to answer a few oral questions.

Health and Safety exam next week and basically we have been told that we will have one or two exams every week now until they end in May then it will just be our practical exams until the course finshes in June! :O Im so scared and freaking out and I think I can safely say I wont do a part time course again there is just to much to take in, in so little time.

How is everyone else getting on, well I hope.

Lauren xx

If its just a theory test you got 75% on then dont worry, a pass is a pass on the theory even 100% just get you better than a pass :) It will matter more on your summatives but I am sure you will do fantastic with them!

I have my make-up summative this week and that will be me 100% passed in everything we have learned to date:
Make-up
Eye Treatments
Spray and mitt tan
Facials
Head massage

hopefully if nobody else wants to do reception I can get my 2nd reception summative done this week too and it will be over and done with as well. Flying along really :D

rather pleased with my blog too as up to 33 followers now which although not a lot isn't bad for only starting in September and only blogging once or twice a week :)

Yes it was theory only, I do have the chance to answer the questions I got wrong so may bump my mark up.

Wow thats amazing I bet you are so pleased! 100%- which did you find the easiest?

I log onto your blog and read your update, 33 followers is great and its a great blog for new people wanting to get into the Beauty Therapy world!

x

make-up was very easy imo and next would be facial and head massage i guess :) I do those together

As its just between us, I feel super proud that I had a friend ask me to do her make-up for the BAFTAs next month!! Now I can't actually go over to do it, but i love that she would have the faith in me to let me do her make-up for such an important event :D

Diary Of A Beauty Therapy Student | Want to study Beauty Therapy? Find out what it's like here! did a little blog update tonight on trying to find my professional make-up kit (for those of u who didnt notice all my posts over in the skin section asking for advice lol :lol: )

As its just between us, I feel super proud that I had a friend ask me to do her make-up for the BAFTAs next month!! Now I can't actually go over to do it, but i love that she would have the faith in me to let me do her make-up for such an important event :D

Diary Of A Beauty Therapy Student | Want to study Beauty Therapy? Find out what it's like here! did a little blog update tonight on trying to find my professional make-up kit (for those of u who didnt notice all my posts over in the skin section asking for advice lol :lol: )

Wow that's amazing!! Good for you!!

xxx

Hi guys! Glad to see you are all doing well :) starting semester 2 next week and some of my classes have just changed as I have passed others :) Now qualified in nail Finishes, facial Treatment Packages, facial Massage, manicure and pedicures, research skills and IT. :) Continuing with Depilation, body massage and starting eye Enhancements, makeup, gel nails, mechanical face and body treatments, commercial experience and sustainable living! Still having a blast learning everything and I have just received a conditional acceptance for the 1st year of the 2 year HND as long as I pass this NC :D
Ellisons came into my college on Wednesday and I attended a Minx nails workshop with them so I'm just awaiting my certificate for that now too. It was great fun working with Minx foils.

Can wait until I get my certificates for everything else after June, it's a long wait with it being a combined qualification but will be worth it.

Now trying to do as much reading and planning as I can to launch my first small business in June when I'm finished my NC. As an adult learner who was funded more than 10 years ago for an unrelated HND I'm now self funding my way through all the education I want. Hoping once I'm qualified and insured to NC level as a beautician a part time mobile business will help fund me through the 2 year HND as I work towards becoming a qualified beauty therapist.

Really feels now that I can see things slowly coming together! Xx

wow Selina - well done! They seem to have you doing loads in your college and fab news about doing the minx wraps too!

I'm very much with you on wanting to get a mobile or home business on the go as soon as im done with this year to fund further training :) Just so costly getting our own start up kit :confused:

Yeah all the things needed to provide a good service is definitely a big outlay. I've been getting a little bit at a time since starting the NC in September so I'm getting there gradually :) x

first bit of professional kit for when I have a home salon bought :) Technically a mothers day gift but I now am the proud ownder of a 1000cc wax pot lol

Tried it on OH tonight who prompty realised it hurt and gave up doh!

Actually had a real confidence knock this week with waxing which was why i bought it to practice more at home.

We have only had 2 wax classes which were about 3 hours each. We had to wax legs of other girls in the class (none of whom had actually grown their hair!) so there was no real feel for how it would be to wax actual hair and checking for all of them being removed). I did get the chance to wax a leg with hair in work as the salon manager kindly let me do her legs (arm pits and bikini line) as she is currently pregnant and so unable to do her own.

I'm rambling but I am getting there honest. So on Thursday a client booked in for waxing treatments one of which was a 1/2 leg. The teacher nominated me before she left and the next one arrived. So I set up but when the client arrived I opened my wax pot to discover somebody had turned it off on me?! So quickly grabbed the spare that had been turned on but it was that horrid honey wax that nobody in the class likes! In the end I was so nervous that when I asked her to turn over I forgot to put the back of the bed down and of course the evening tutor noticed and asked me to put it down. Which in theory is fine, I'm pleased she reminded me to put it down because I wouldn't want a client to be uncomfortable. But it was the way she went on and on about how bad it was etc even after I had apologised and explained I was just nervous and we hadn't had any real practice on actually doing a full 1/2 leg wax!

She dismissed the lack of practice and nervousness as being a reason for getting it wrong. Honestly I actually felt like she thought I had done it on purpose? Which I can hand on heart say I would never do, I'm just not that sort of person to mess about in class at all.

So yes - my first big confidence knock so far and in my last fecking module lol. Roll on more practice and getting my last few exams done so I have the summer free to set up a home salon so I can spend the next yr practicing on family and friends :)

How's everyone else getting on?

Its a wonderful feeling spending obsene amounts on kit isn't it! This week I got my shellac kit :D Life is soo manic these days its unbelievable!

Just starting out doing nails, make up and beauty in a salon (self employed)

Also working as a cleaner to help pay bills

And still in college half way to achieving my lvl 2 hair and media make up (all distinctions so far :p)

All on top of looking after my 2 whirlwind kiddies! Discovering the real meaning of being a woman and truly multi-tasking haha xx

Latest posts

Back