aaaaargh! TRADE TEST!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare_bear

Reaction score
i have a trade test with the salon i applied for before xmas tuesday next week. They want me to do a long layered style, a short back and sides, and a classic bob (blunt or graduated).

i have never trade tested before so am really nervous, what should i expect? any salon owners out there with any useful tips?

also my male model (short back and sides) does not like clippers, can a short back and sides be done without clippers? must i use them to make the cut be considered a short back and sides? I usually do his hair and cut the hair at about 1 fingers width away from the scalp and graduate up to the top keeping length at the front and top.

Are they not providing you with models? It seems that they want you to provide 3 models for the trade test.

I dont know about the rest but imo i prfer my staff not to use clippers, to do scissor over comb instead. so if you are doing cut at finger length then i would be pleased with that (personal preference)

Do they want you to do any colouring? xx

yeah i have to provide my own models.

no colours yet, but have shown them my colour portfolio, as i've been colouring longer than i have been cutting.

i was thinking cut the hair using fingers then cross check all the way around using the scissors over comb. to finalise the shape.

its the only one i'm worried about because i'm not a gent's hairdresser. i can do them and blend everything in, i just don't feel very confident in doing gents ever.

will they cross check everything? or will the look at the overall shape of my cuts? in which case should i add product after doing them, or wait till they run their fingers through it all and then add the finishing product?

Ask before you start cutting, at what point they want to take a closer look. I usually wait till it has been dried. Cross check EVERYTHING very carefully, and check that everything is even both sides. Good luck x

i did it, not sure what the outcome was, i KNEW i'd mess up on the gent's, i'm not a men's hairdresser as we don't do many in the salon. she had to scissor over comb the edges with her thinning scissors, which can't bode well! god i hope i did enough. i want this job so badly i'd die! she knows i haven't been qualified for long, but i feel soooo gutted she had to take her scissors to it. so i'm fearing the worst. i'm betting this is the worse thing that can happen in a trade test.

Nope the worst that can happen, was in a trade test a girl did in my salon, and every foil leaked bleach. Her poor model looked like a tabbycat.
I would not expect a newly qualified hairdresser to work to the standard of a top stylist, if you were going for a top stylist job, you would be right to be worried. As a junior stylist, they wouldnt expect your cut to be complete perfection. x

thanks persianista, will try and not worry about it, what is done is done. i tried my best, at least i didnt cut his ear off or give him a bald patch. i guess seeing that i've only ever done about 4 gents it wasnt that bad.

only time will tell. and if i don't get it, at least i wud've got trade testing experience for my next job.

thank u for all ur support! very very much appreciated.

Also us salon owners know that people are nervous on trade tests, so we take that into account. I hope it works out for you. x

Latest posts

Back