Acetone on wounded toe - is it OK?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

One of my clients wearing Shellac Rockstars has damaged her big toenail by dragging a heavy table across it. She thinks toenail lifted from bed and is now infected and bruised. She needs me to remove the Shellac before going to podiatrist but I am at a loss. Is it even safe - let alone the pain aspect - to do a removal on a damaged nail?

Never come across this before and would be grateful for any help please.

To be fair I think acetone/nourishing remover may be the safer option? The only other would be to file it off and that would definatley hurt. If it's got to come off its got to come off.
***stands back and waits for backlash***lol

If there's any sign of infection I would suggest that she sees a Dr first. Otherwise you could use acetone and wrap in foil but if there's an open wound I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't think filing it off would be an option too sensitive, but Nourishing Remover (that's what I use) will sting for sure! I am concerned that it will inflame the tissue on nail bed though.

If there is an open wound and infection she needs anti biotics which means visiting the Dr. That has to take priority over how the nail looks.

I would leave that one to a podiatrist to sort out. They're far more qualified than us to deal with a toenail coming off. I'm sure the polish still being on there isn't the end of the world before she sees them x

If there's any sign of infection I would suggest that she sees a Dr first. Otherwise you could use acetone and wrap in foil but if there's an open wound I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks Pure, I can't see from picture she's sent but I imagine if detachment has taken place there will be something 'open' under there. As for infection, she describes when she cut it back, blood & liquid came out.

Thanks Pure, I can't see from picture she's sent but I imagine if detachment has taken place there will be something 'open' under there. As for infection, she describes when she cut it back, blood & liquid came out.

In that case I suggest you definitely don't touch it and that she seeks medical advice. Sounds horrid :eek:

No definitely don't touch it with anything! Sounds too sore and not worth the risk 😁

Latest posts

Back