Acrylic application - lack confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engela

Reaction score
HI
Im recently qualified as a nail tech, I nearly gave up as I've been doing gel for years (myself) and acrylic is new to me. I was taught to apply it from zone 3 to zone 1. This did not work for me so I started doing it from zone 1 to 3, now it looks better. Im a stay at home mom and decided to make a little business out of it (work for hubby, but need my own independence) I turned the outside flatlet into a little studio. Looks very nice with a very nice table, posters, products and more. But... I had my first client a week ago (a nail biter!!!), I was not too happy with the application as I touched the skin, but obviously did not tell her that and had sleepless nights, waiting for her phone call to tell me her nails are lifting. Well she phoned me 3 days later to tell me how happy she is. But 5 days later she phoned me to tell me a nail broke off. I did tell her its because she does not have a free edge. But she came back for a fill yesterday. Which is a good thing, but I could see the fill lines, i tried to file them down (well can see on 2 fingers) again she seems happy. I think its because it looks better than her own nails looked.

After her I had another appointment, but also not happy with her nails. I then topped it off with Biosculpture S-Gel which gave it a nice smooth, shiny finish. I would like to have buffed some of the nails to a smoother finsihes, but she had a hair appointment. She said that she will definately be back!

Ai, I really do lack confidence. I think I did not get proper training and that is why. I've been doing my own nails for almost 5 years, (with Biosclupture, and now recently started with gel) but doing somebody else's is different.

Am I too hard on myself? Does everybody go through this?

Engela

Awwww I think a lot of people would admit to similar feelings regarding lack of confidence. Apart from getting as much practise as you can, it might help you to have some refresher training?

If we keep on doing what we've always done and it isn't working as well as we'd like, then it can often be well worth the expense to get an expert's help on whatever problems we're having. I did this recently and it's certainly paid off for me. Good luck! :)

In a way its good that you worry about how well you do nails, if I met someone who just banged out sets without a care in the world I might be a little suss! it shows you are passionate about your work

do you have friends/family who you can practice on to get a little more confidence??
maybe if you are in a financial position that would allow you to take on some fresh training you might benefit from that??

I still have worries over my sets, I dont think I will ever be happy with them tbh.
keep at it , you will get there
:hug: xx

Ive been doing nails since July gel and acrylic. I went on a creatice conversion course on thursday and ive done 2 sets since that i have been very happy with. I also lack convidence and most of the time i look a the nails and find a fault. im sure as i get more experience and confidence ill be fine. I think everyone goes through this when they first start. Relax and enjoy making people feel fab!!! :)

Thank you!
Yes, I've been thinking of going to another school for refresher course. I love to see people smile o happy when they walk out that door. Gosh I've spend a fortune on my studio, so spending some more money to perfect this art is worth the while. I want people to be happy with what they pay for. They invest in their nails and I need to make this investment last.

x:lol:

Latest posts

Back