Acrylic help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers and toes

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,
I qualified at the end of March with CND.
I am practising everyday but still can't get to grips with the application.

Could you please help me and take a look at the photo
image.jpeg

Thank you

Hi, where do you feel like you are struggling? X

Hi, where do you feel like you are struggling? X
Hi,
Thank you so much for replying.
I just don't think they look right!
I know I definitely need to work on my shapes!
When I apply the tips and cut them to the required length the tips seem to go down as opposed to straight out. I apply my acrylic and file and think they look ok And then I put the polish on and it looks like they have expanded loads
I have attached a photo of a tip that's been cut.
Abs sometimes my acrylic looks to wide at the stress point.
Feel like giving up at times because I put so much time and effort in to it and feel like I am getting nowhere! When will it all fall into place.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    809 KB · Views: 110
March wasn't that long ago....

It takes a lot of practice until you're happy with L&P. It took me many months until I felt confident.

When you place your bead on, make sure you aren't working too dry and you can tuck it in at the sides of the stress point and on top. Just keep pressing it into place.

If you do find it too wide just make sure you file it to the shape you want. You'll do much more filing now but once you're more confident and happy with your technique it will just be a shape and light buff X

March wasn't that long ago....

It takes a lot of practice until you're happy with L&P. It took me many months until I felt confident.

When you place your bead on, make sure you aren't working too dry and you can tuck it in at the sides of the stress point and on top. Just keep pressing it into place.

If you do find it too wide just make sure you file it to the shape you want. You'll do much more filing now but once you're more confident and happy with your technique it will just be a shape and light buff X
Thank you Cinderella.
I check every bead before I place it on the nail to make sure it has the right texture. It maybe I am not patting it enough.
Once the acrylic is dried and filed I think it looks ok but then after the polish is applied it isn't!!! Xx

Thank you Cinderella.
I check every bead before I place it on the nail to make sure it has the right texture. It maybe I am not patting it enough.
Once the acrylic is dried and filed I think it looks ok but then after the polish is applied it isn't!!! Xx
Give it a spray with your sanitiser, you'll be able to see it better when it's wet [emoji4]
Remember to clean it off though before you top coat etc

Give it a spray with your sanitiser, you'll be able to see it better when it's wet [emoji4]
Remember to clean it off though before you top coat etc
Thank you I will try that x

Don't beat yourself up, it takes lots of practice. The more you do the quicker it will fall into place X
I try not too. Just want to get it right

Hi Ladies,
I qualified at the end of March with CND.
I am practising everyday but still can't get to grips with the application.

Could you please help me and take a look at the photo View attachment 197399

Thank you

Hey!
From what I can see on the photo I think you might be putting too much product on. Try using smaller beads and press it out to the sides in each of the 3 zones.
When you first apply the bead to the tip or nail let it settle for a couple of seconds before you begin to press it with your brush. You will notice that the bead will ever so gently start to level itself and then you can do the rest.
The trick is to perfect your L&P application so that there is minimal filing afterwards. Be patient, you will get it spot on, it is just lots of practise. I've been doing nails for 15 years and I'm still learning, I still go on training courses and pay attention to other professionals' work to see where I can improve because that is the way this industry goes, it's always evolving so don't get too stressed out about not getting it straight away - you'll be learning for the rest of your career, it's amazing and so much fun :) x

Hey!
From what I can see on the photo I think you might be putting too much product on. Try using smaller beads and press it out to the sides in each of the 3 zones.
When you first apply the bead to the tip or nail let it settle for a couple of seconds before you begin to press it with your brush. You will notice that the bead will ever so gently start to level itself and then you can do the rest.
The trick is to perfect your L&P application so that there is minimal filing afterwards. Be patient, you will get it spot on, it is just lots of practise. I've been doing nails for 15 years and I'm still learning, I still go on training courses and pay attention to other professionals' work to see where I can improve because that is the way this industry goes, it's always evolving so don't get too stressed out about not getting it straight away - you'll be learning for the rest of your career, it's amazing and so much fun :) x
Hi!
Thank you for your comment.
Yes I do place my bead and wait for it to settle before pressing it to the sides.
Sometimes I get a bump in the middle which is quite annoying. I know it takes practise but sometimes I don't know what I am doing wrong to be able to correct it. X

You could be leaving too much there and not pressing and pulling it down enough or making your next bead too big.

Hi!
Thank you for your comment.
Yes I do place my bead and wait for it to settle before pressing it to the sides.
Sometimes I get a bump in the middle which is quite annoying. I know it takes practise but sometimes I don't know what I am doing wrong to be able to correct it. X

If it is really frustrating you then you could go back to your educator for more training. You need to know where you're going wrong in order to do better and there's no one better to put you back on the right road than the person that trained you :) x

Hey, i really sympathise with you as I've been going through the same thing! I wasn't sure where I was going wrong as mine also just weren't quite right and I was getting frustrated and disheartened like you.
There are lots of videos on you tube showing acrylic application, it might be worth looking at a video of this shape and seeing how they apply the beads and work them into shape.
I totally get with what you are saying about them looking good and then you apply the polish and they don't!! This was also a problem I was having and it's because my acrylic application was too thick to start with. I've managed to get my application thinner and more precise which means a lot less filing.
Looking at your pics it just looks like you need to file the side walls more to bring them in or when applying the acrylic let it settle and then gently guide it to the side walls but try and not have it too thick, take some off I'd necessary and then pay to flatten it out.
I only qualified in april but yesterday finally did a set yesterday I was happy with. Hope this helps a bit xx

Have you used shellac over the top? Slightly thicker But with good filing they would be fine. Just need thinning out a bit

Have you used shellac over the top? Slightly thicker But with good filing they would be fine. Just need thinning out a bit
Hi,
No this isn't shellac, this is an OPI one.
I didn't file enough you are right.
I think my beads are too big as well.
Do you start from the tip or do you work from the cuticle towards the tip?
Are your beads the same size in zone 1 and 2?
Sorry all the questions
Xx

Hey, i really sympathise with you as I've been going through the same thing! I wasn't sure where I was going wrong as mine also just weren't quite right and I was getting frustrated and disheartened like you.
There are lots of videos on you tube showing acrylic application, it might be worth looking at a video of this shape and seeing how they apply the beads and work them into shape.
I totally get with what you are saying about them looking good and then you apply the polish and they don't!! This was also a problem I was having and it's because my acrylic application was too thick to start with. I've managed to get my application thinner and more precise which means a lot less filing.
Looking at your pics it just looks like you need to file the side walls more to bring them in or when applying the acrylic let it settle and then gently guide it to the side walls but try and not have it too thick, take some off I'd necessary and then pay to flatten it out.
I only qualified in april but yesterday finally did a set yesterday I was happy with. Hope this helps a bit xx
Hi, Thank you and I have looked at endless YouTube videos. I guess it's all down to practise.
I will look at filing my sidewalls more and less product on the nail.
Thank you for your help xxx

Hi,
No this isn't shellac, this is an OPI one.
I didn't file enough you are right.
I think my beads are too big as well.
Do you start from the tip or do you work from the cuticle towards the tip?
Are your beads the same size in zone 1 and 2?
Sorry all the questions
Xx

I was taught to start at the tip and build the zones working up. However if I'm sculpting I prefer to work backwards I seem to have more control this way. Pick up smaller beads, you have more control, and when you think your done just look at the nail from all angles. You can easily see where it needs more. When I was struggling I was only looking at the nails from the front view but now I turn the hand all over the place and look at the barrel the c curve the side walls etc

I was taught that zone 1 was the tip and to only apply a bead here if sculpting. If we were using tips we applied a bead in zone 2 then worked it down over the tip then another smaller one in zone 1, almost on zone 2 then work it backwards to avoid flooding.

Latest posts

Back