Acrylic Nail Beginner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

empirebride

Reaction score
Hey, I'm from Australia and my name is Jess.
I am looking at purchasing the IBD Professional Acrylic Kit, a UV Lamp and Intense Seal but I'm a beginner. I've never done nails, but I have watched it done heaps of times. It comes with instructional DVD, but as professionals am I stupid to do this?

I am aware of nail fungus and infection and that is my hugest concern.
Please help :)

Thank you for being honest .. allow me to be the same.

Professional products are for use by professionals. Get educated if you are going to do your nails so you know what you are doing, with products that can be potentially harmful if misused.

I know that in the USA ( maybe Australia too) one can buy liquid & Powder from most pharmacies to do nails. The usual scenario is that you do just that .. make a mess of your nails and then seek a professional to sort out the mess every few months. Many women do the same with their hair colour and have to go to the hairdresser to correct all the damage they have done as they do not understand the chemicals they are using. If money is what you are trying to save, you seldom will in the end.

This is a professional site for professionals and is not here to teach or to help consumers to learn how to do nails themselves. We obviously do not agree with consumers doing their own nails only then for them to come to us to clean up the mess. We advocate professional services. We professionals have invested heavily both financially and in many other ways to provide ethical care and service to our customers.

Honestly Jess, you'll be wasting your money. You wont be able to get it, and you'll regret buying it.
PS Seasoned pro's have problems mastering gel.

thank you very much for your honesty and professionalism. This is just the advice I needed :) Every site I try, no one answers me. Thank you all very much. Sorry for being in the professionals site, I must have missed that :S

Sorry for being in the professionals site, I must have missed that :S

Don't be and you are welcome as long as you take on board the great advise you have been given. Of course as a consumer you are welcome to read too and educate yourself further as far as how to choose/spot a nailtech who respects you and your nails.

If you decide to take a class, there will be loads of info on here where you can learn a lot that will add to a class.

Take your time and read a bit on here and you will discover that it is not as easy as it looks, but when you get it (if you get it not all do) then it is a passion you wont live without :lol:

Great post from No Limit Nails there.

PLUS if you take the time and spend the extra money to get educated properly for nails (most classes are not that long) THEN you will always have another string to our bow work-wise and be able to do services for the public ... you just never know when you will need an extra skill to make ends meet in the world today. So if you are going to invest, then invest wisely and do something for your future.

You are most welcome to the site. It is for pros but gadzillions of peeps come here to read ... the posts are insightful especially if you search for topics you are interested in or read the tutorials and articles.

You know, I have been around for most of the whole history of the nail business and been a part of it from its inception ... we are not in such a good place with nails these days as we used to be.

There was a time when nail technicians' skills were respected and professional people did them ... seeing that nails were such a successful business for many women, it then became popular and training was more available and thousands upon thousands entered the business .. training was hit and miss (still is, so be careful who you choose) and the standard went way down.

Now a days with any Tom Richard or Harry being able to buy professional proiducts from the likes of ebay and irresponsible distributors who sell to anyone at all trained or not plus the march of the 'kitchen mafia' who put monstrosities on their friends and families for bugger all and work over ironing boards and footstools/poofs, ... many have no respect for those of us who have a professioanl business and they think that anyone at all can do what we do and wonder why we charge for our expertise and experience, because they don't think it takes either to do nails. WRONG

Try not to buy into that,and place yourself apart from them. Maybe one day the regulations will catch up with the fast pace of the nail industry and only those who are qualified will be able to practice nails. I am 25 + years into this industry and still learning, so trust me there is allot one needs to know. Have fun.

Latest posts

Back