Acrylic nails - timing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albarn

Reaction score
hi how long did your first set of acrylic overlays take i'm feeling low i've done 2 sets and both took 3.5 hrs feel really drained:mad:

keep at it , you'll get your speed up when you get more confident and experienced.

definately keep going ;) make sure you are working systematically and you have everything to hand that you need :)
keep your product thin that way you'll spend less time filing;)
take a look on youtube at some excellent tutorials such as CND or Youngnailsinc you'll get there hun dont worry about timings that will come with experience

My first set took about the same amount of time as you...

Good tip for figuring out where you lose time:

Break your service into 4 categories:
Prep
Tips
Application
Finishing

Time each section and see how long it is actually taking you, then assign a period of time you consider appropriate (how long it should be taking you) eg 15mins prep.

Work on speeding up one section at a time until you can get it to the time you assigned.

Repeat with each until you hit your target time...

But remember when you are learning doing it correctly is more important than doing it quickly... I would also recommend doing a small 'cheat sheet' with every step on a small card and laminate it so you can tick everything off as you go. Ensuring you can focus and not miss anything

Hth's

thanks envy i didnt think about timing every thing, sounds like a good idea.

I honestly wouldn't worry at the moment we have all been there I'm now down to 2 hours but as long as ur producing nice nails that's the main as said the speed thing will come down I'm still trying to get mine down but it takes a while and is dependant on how many acrylic clients ur getting if u don't get many it will take longer. U will get there I promise x

thanks for the support:biggrin:

Yea me too, I have been doing acrylic for nearly a year but do also gel so I'm not constantly doing acrylics, it is still taking me 2.5hours, depends on the nails as well, if they are really nail bitten then it can take me 3hours, and it is exhausting, practice makes perfect so they say, will keep at it too!!!:Grope:

i felt really ill and drained by the end lol:lol:

I was the same !! Hated doing them!! Avoided them at all cost. 😢now I'm doing a nice set in just under 2 hours!! It does get quicker the more u practice xxx

Just so that we can stick to the site policy of using correct terminology ...

All nail enhancements are from the ACRYLIC family ... Yes, wraps, gels and Liquid & powder (l&p) are all acrylic. So if you say you do acrylic nails, it really doesn't mean much ! It does help here on SG to define what you do clearly so others can help. Thanks for listening! :green:

I don't know is this helps but I do one nail at a time when prepping ie

File nail into shape.
Push back eponychium apply cuticle away
Using pusher curette to rid cuticle
Deactivate with water
Remove surface shine
Use scrub fresh
Apply nail tip ( if that is what you are using)
Cut and shape tip

Go onto next nail.
Once all ten done do your final bit of prep.
Dehydrate
Scrub fresh
Then bonder if you need it to however many nails you are working on at one time.

I also find this really helps if you have young clients or very oily nail plates and also clients tend to fidget and fiddle with everything. If you completely prep all ten nails they are bound to contaminate some of them the time you get to the end.

All ten nails are prepped and tipped then you just go back and you can do a
couple at a time with a final bit of prep which has eliminated lifting for me by keeping the nails dry and clean.

At college we were taught to file all ten, then get rid of cuticle on all ten, then buff all ten sorry but I got bored lol. Others might not agree but I like to do things all at once so I don't forget lol xxxx

Last edited:
I don't know is this helps but I do one nail at a time when prepping ie

File nail into shape.
Push back eponychium apply cuticle away
Using pusher curette to rid cuticle
Deactivate with water
Remove surface shine
Use scrub fresh
Apply nail tip ( if that is what you are using)
Cut and shape tip

Go onto next nail.
Once all ten done do your final bit of prep.
Dehydrate
Scrub fresh
Then bonder if you need it to however many nails you are working on at one time.

I also find this really helps if you have young clients or very oily nail plates and also clients tend to fidget and fiddle with everything. If you completely prep all ten nails they are bound to contaminate some of them the time you get to the end.

All ten nails are prepped and tipped then you just go back and you can do a
couple at a time with a final bit of prep which has eliminated lifting for me by keeping the nails dry and clean.

At college we were taught to file all ten, then get rid of cuticle on all ten, then buff all ten sorry but I got bored lol. Others might not agree but I like to do things all at once so I don't forget lol xxxx

I think this sounds like the most inefficient and long-winded way of prepping nails I ever heard ... Sorry K-nails. .. So you are right I don't agree! Lol. All that picking up and putting down of tools and products etc for each individual nail as opposed to once for all ten? You can tell you are not doing clients back to back all day and must have all the time in the world, or you would never work that way. As the OP is wanting to speed up her time, I have to say that your way is not the way i or any other working technician would do it. Bless ya!

sorry its l&p natural overlay, done another set today and managed to knock 20 mins of my 3.5 hr timing and they looked much better the ones i did today, i could see an improvement to the previous ones i had done. Also i didn't feel as stressed today which i'm glad of, once again thanks for the support.

I used to take 5 hours :( and they used to fall off half an hour later :(......... I persevered .....practice practice practice after a year I converted to CND and ive never looked back ;). I seem to recall many years ago when this very site went live asking questions galore and Pestering Grand Master Geek for his advice ( Diesel1978)....... Reading every tutorial possible in to the small hours. Every thing Geeg has ever said is like the Gospel and nothing should ever be dismissed.
I would'nt be where I am today if it wasn't for this site. You can do it you just have to BELIEVE xx

you will get there all been there done that an to this day learn somthing new everyday about nails all takes is determination and practise x

Latest posts

Back