Acrylic on a little girl

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanned85

Reaction score
I cant believe that someone has just asked me to do acrylics on her 6 year old daughter!
I'm right to refuse aint i???

Yes you are hun, most definatley. I wont do gel on anyone younger than 16 and i still ask for parents consent.

Who in their right mind would want that on their daughter so young. xx

Unbelievable! I think you did the right thing, what's wrong with these people:eek:

I was put in a difficult position at a childrens pamper party.

The girl was 12 and her mum had asked for acrylic for her whilst I was there. Suddenly all the parents were agreeing and asking for their daughters......

They were quite young too about 12 / 13 and I was very uncomfortable but it was her birthday party, so I compromised.

I did a little acylic colour overlay. They were extended (very tiny extensions) with forms so there was no glued tips. It was more for effect so they felt like they were having them rather than really having them...

I didnt buff and prep really as I was worried if they nails was totally stuck, children being children playing and messing, Id rather they lost the acrylic rather than the nail. Plus their nails were so tiny and fine!

As it happened they lasted that day and the next (probably longer if they had not messed so much whilst they were setting).

I felt very compromised so now am making it clear in my T&Cs for childrens pampering that I will not do acrylics on children.

Edited to add, though these children were 12 and get them done in town, there is no way that I would do proper acrylic nails, but would definitely not do them on a 6 year old!

Last edited:
I was put in a difficult position at a childrens pamper party.

The girl was 12 and her mum had asked for acrylic for her whilst I was there. Suddenly all the parents were agreeing and asking for their daughters......

They were quite young too about 12 / 13 and I was very uncomfortable but it was her birthday party, so I compromised.

I did a little acylic colour overlay. They were extended (very tiny extensions) with forms so there was no glued tips. It was more for effect so they felt like they were having them rather than really having them...

I didnt buff and prep really as I was worried if they nails was totally stuck, children being children playing and messing, Id rather they lost the acrylic rather than the nail. Plus their nails were so tiny and fine!

As it happened they lasted that day and the next (probably longer if they had not messed so much whilst they were setting).

I felt very compromised so now am making it clear in my T&Cs for childrens pampering that I will not do acrylics on children.

Edited to add, though these children were 12 and get them done in town, there is no way that I would do proper acrylic nails, but would definitely not do them on a 6 year old!

Oh poor you, what an awkward situation to find yourself in, you didn't want to spoil the party and 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' etc but sounds like it was a great learn and putting it T&Cs was a wise move. Sadly there will always be places that will grab the money with little or no thought of the rights and wrongs. I just don't understand these mothers, I'm definately not prudish but I feel strongly that kids grow up too quick and some parents seem to encourage it, dressing up and make up is great fun but acrylics...crazy!

Oh poor you, what an awkward situation to find yourself in, you didn't want to spoil the party and 'he who pays the piper calls the tune' etc but sounds like it was a great learn and putting it T&Cs was a wise move. Sadly there will always be places that will grab the money with little or no thought of the rights and wrongs. I just don't understand these mothers, I'm definately not prudish but I feel strongly that kids grow up too quick and some parents seem to encourage it, dressing up and make up is great fun but acrylics...crazy!

I nearly cried! My 4 yr has nail varnish and thats it x

How apart just sticking the French tips on and doing a bit of nail art at pampers parties. No worse than the kits they buy in boots. Call them party nails. Or clear tips and polish with a design?

Jeez 6 years old!! What is wrong with parents? My little princess is nearly 4 and she has her nail painted and glitter but that is it!

I dont want to keep putting my polish on her so I have brought her some peelable polish from boots that she can use when I do mine.

Acrylics on a 6 year old! Have heard it all now.

Putting the moral issue aside I dought very much if any Insurance Company would cover you for performing an enhancement treatment on a 6 year old :eek:

How apart just sticking the French tips on and doing a bit of nail art at pampers parties. No worse than the kits they buy in boots. Call them party nails. Or clear tips and polish with a design?
Are you suggesting that for little kids? Nail art yes, tips no way for me.

Perhaps stick on nails like Fairydust suggested would be a viable option for slightly older children ( perhaps 10 upwards ) as they aren't permanent.

My 9 year old daughter is going to have her first ever NNO done today - she wants "pretty fairy nails " like mummmy ( I have got red and gold rockstar rightnow for christmas lol )

I will do them for her but with minimal prep and no primer etc

I really don't understand why there is a need to put acrylic's on a 6 year old, a little bit of polish and glitter will look equally as nice and it wouldn't have the risk of damaging there nails, how could a 6 year old look after acrylic's!!

I know how you feel. You're not wrong for turning that down. Last weekend, after I'd done a fullset of acrylics on a woman (with her 8 yr old daughter constantly peeking into the room) she asked if I could do a set on her daughter. She looked like she was gonna rip my head off for refusing. After 5 minutes of going back and forth of why I can't and shouldn't, she settled for a set of my weekend nails. Yeesh. Some people!

Insurance doesn't cover it for a reason.

Another thing to consider: children's nails are very thin and bendy. No strength to them at all.
Should they bash one, it highly likely tear right off and hurt like a you-know-what.
(and you KNOW they'll bash one or two).

A couple of months ago for my daughters' combined b-day, a friend gave them 'press-ons' that were designed for children.
They came with two-sided sticky tape.
BOTH girls (8 & 10yrs of age) complained that they hurt when they bopped them, and when one tried to remove the nails, she complained some more.
They had to sit in the tub playing for a while with their hands in the water to get them off.

I realize this is a 'business' and personal opinions for the most part shouldn't enter into it.
But I do feel that we have a responsibility to set ourselves apart from the NSS, and take a stance. In addition to the "takes a village to raise a child".

There has to be a line drawn somewhere......
And the Insurance companies have already done it for us.

Insurance doesn't cover it for a reason.

Another thing to consider: children's nails are very thin and bendy. No strength to them at all.
Should they bash one, it highly likely tear right off and hurt like a you-know-what.
(and you KNOW they'll bash one or two).

A couple of months ago for my daughters' combined b-day, a friend gave them 'press-ons' that were designed for children.
They came with two-sided sticky tape.
BOTH girls (8 & 10yrs of age) complained that they hurt when they bopped them, and when one tried to remove the nails, she complained some more.
They had to sit in the tub playing for a while with their hands in the water to get them off.

I realize this is a 'business' and personal opinions for the most part shouldn't enter into it.
But I do feel that we have a responsibility to set ourselves apart from the NSS, and take a stance. In addition to the "takes a village to raise a child".

There has to be a line drawn somewhere......
And the Insurance companies have already done it for us.

I think that as alway was very well put. I think a lot of the problem is when parents still want them putting on their child when the risks have been explained, I just can't get my head around why you would do that.

Crazy women! She said her daughter is dying to get her nails done so i said well i could maybe do a little manicure and paint her nails, she said no, she loves to have the "nails on"! so i wonder if she has had them done before!

I think a lot of the problem is when parents still want them putting on their child when the risks have been explained, I just can't get my head around why you would do that.

Because they're priorities as parents is all screwed up. They're so concerned with being their child's best friend, and their child's appearance that they don't see the reason WHY their child shouldn't get certain treatments. It's a waste of breath explaining things to them because all they hear is "womp womp womp."

Because they're priorities as parents is all screwed up. They're so concerned with being their child's best friend, and their child's appearance that they don't see the reason WHY their child shouldn't get certain treatments. It's a waste of breath explaining things to them because all they hear is "womp womp womp."

That is too true!

There are too many mini me's and I find it sad that children can't be children anymore, always dressed up.

My lil one is well dressed for when she is going somewhere but if we are just out and about she wears what she likes and she comes out with some concoctions lol. Same as my son.

Kids have to look perfect these days but I want my little ones to have fun being children before they have to grow up and be responsible.

I had the same experience just 2 days ago, a mother wanting acrylic extensions on a 9 year old!! I was horrified when i said no the child said to me 'eh why not? Iv had them before?!' i politely explained that it wouldnt be appropriate/safe/insurable for me to do this and that she should consider having the girls nails painted rather than enhancements, but obviously in one ear and out the other.. As they were chatting happily about where to go next on their way out the door!!! Some people have no clue! Such a shame children have to real innocent childhood these days!

No of course I'm not suggesting gluing tips on a 6 yr old. But I would on 11 + for a party. I have a 9 year old daughter who's friend has full on acrylics done by her own mother! The moat exciting thing my little one has had is shatter paint

Latest posts

Back