Acrylic products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poshpinks

Reaction score
Hi guys I am wondering what ur views r on acrylic products. I use creative I have done for yes and feel that I use one of the best products around but I did get wondering does it really matter wt product I use as the client wouldn't care or know . I could use a cheaper product and then I would be making a descent profit? It just seems to me that people nowadays done care about quality its about who does them cheaper?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

I hear what you're saying, but quality does matter. If a cheaper product doesn't perform as well and clients are not happy then you won't increasing your profit. I take pride in using CND products and my clients know I'm being sincere when I talk about why. It's worth the cost to know that I'm using an excellent product that I trust.

Having said that, the vast majority of salons in my area are NSS, so many clients just don't know any better. When they come in for the first time they are shocked at the differences and I use the opportunity to educate them. The grass is always greener where you water it :)

My view is that you should invest in a quality product, and here's why:

There's 2 sorts of clients. One sort wants cheap nails. They dont care that their cheap nails look just that - cheap, and they will never be loyal to a tech or seek out a tech with discernible skills. They will flit from tech to tech depending on where the "special offers" are, and you will never make a living by marketing yourself to this type of client.

The second sort of client wants decent nails. this sort of client wants people to stop her in the supermarket and say "wow, who does your nails?", and they will pay a premium for this service. When they find a tech who can deliver exactly what they ask for no matter how one-off or unusual the request may be they will stick with that tech. They will look after their nails and maintain them regularly with regular appointments. These are the clients to level your marketing at because these are the ones who you can profit from.

I know we're all in this industry for the love of it (I'm not being glib, I genuinely would continue to do this if I won the euro millions and have never met a tech who feels differently!), but until I come into the big bucks I need to pay my bills, so its just sensible to aim your business at the most profitable market.

However, having said all this it's rather a moot point and here's why. I read an article quite a while back (I cannot remember who wrote it or where I saw it so apologies for not referencing it), but the author had calculated the costings per service using the cheapest products available, and the most expensive which happens to be CND. The difference in price per service was 4p!!! So, if you really are watching the pennies (literally) then by all means use the cheapest products you can get, but you're only saving yourself 4 pence per set of nails by doing this. Offset this against the cost of lost business when your customers find other salons who can deliver a better quality service and nails that dont lift, and your cheap product isnt really that cheap.

It's a no-brainer really!!

There's 2 sorts of clients. One sort wants cheap nails. They dont care that their cheap nails look just that - cheap, and they will never be loyal to a tech or seek out a tech with discernible skills. They will flit from tech to tech depending on where the "special offers" are, and you will never make a living by marketing yourself to this type of client.

The second sort of client wants decent nails. this sort of client wants people to stop her in the supermarket and say "wow, who does your nails?", and they will pay a premium for this service. When they find a tech who can deliver exactly what they ask for no matter how one-off or unusual the request may be they will stick with that tech. They will look after their nails and maintain them regularly with regular appointments. These are the clients to level your marketing at because these are the ones who you can profit from.

I know we're all in this industry for the love of it (I'm not being glib, I genuinely would continue to do this if I won the euro millions and have never met a tech who feels differently!), but until I come into the big bucks I need to pay my bills, so its just sensible to aim your business at the most profitable market.

However, having said all this it's rather a moot point and here's why. I read an article quite a while back (I cannot remember who wrote it or where I saw it so apologies for not referencing it), but the author had calculated the costings per service using the cheapest products available, and the most expensive which happens to be CND. The difference in price per service was 4p!!! So, if you really are watching the pennies (literally) then by all means use the cheapest products you can get, but you're only saving yourself 4 pence per set of nails by doing this. Offset this against the cost of lost business when your customers find other salons who can deliver a better quality service and nails that dont lift, and your cheap product isnt really that cheap.

Couldn't have said it better, this hits it right on the head:)

I have never found price to be an accurate indicator of a product's quality. If you can't afford to purchase many items, it's a good idea to learn your chemicals and go by the ingredients when choosing what to test. I usually take the frugal option first, but it's always a roll of the dice. Sometimes you can find real gems that not only save a bundle AND work just as good, if not better... then again, sometimes you have to wear a hat for a week. I'd never put anything on someone else's body if I had not tried it on my own, at least once, not matter how outrageous or how dirt cheap the price was. I've also never returned to a new hair/nail stylist after a poor or even so-so service; no second chances.

So true. The only other thing that I would add, is that YOU know what you're using. I use what I believe to be the best products available, and I actually get pleasure from using great products - all of them. If I was using cheap, it just wouldn't sit right with me!

Such an odd question you ask after doing nails for 6 years and being on Salongeek since 2008 .....

Kinda like I know Lard can moisturise, I might use that on peoples faces to save a quid.
There are so many factors in products (price should be the last) quality and longevity of service means the most to clients, if they don't get them, they will leave.
Cheaper products just don't cut the mustard ... perhaps you should try some cheaper products, lose a few clients, then you can convince yourself, by then it will be too late though

The fact is that CND is not the most expensive brand in the world. It is more expensive for some things (and rightly so) and less expensive for others. People may perceive it to be expensive as a brand because it has that very High End image but in fact the price difference over the whole service is pennies, if that.

I think that another point to consider is customer perception. Put yourself in the clients shoes and imagine yourself walking into a salon. What would you expect? Personally I would expect salon standard product, I dont hand my hard earned money over to anyone lightly (typical Yorkshire lass!), so in a salon I would expect that I am paying for a professional service, something I cant do myself at home, surely that's the whole point of the salon experience?

If I went into a salon and they were using cheap products that I could buy myself from any generic beauty wholesaler I'd walk straight back out again, that's not the type of salon I want to visit.

It's often a good idea to imagine you're the client and consider how you would feel if you went into your own salon, sometimes you can make decisions that you think are good for the business but can actually drive your customers away.

Its not that I am thinking of changing from CND its just I do wonder how people are happy to spend their hard earned money on cheaper nail techs that maybe using cheaper produces ? It upsets me that people don't realise that I use great produces and that is reflexed in my prices.

Its not that I am thinking of changing from CND its just I do wonder how people are happy to spend their hard earned money on cheaper nail techs that maybe using cheaper produces ? It upsets me that people don't realise that I use great produces and that is reflexed in my prices.

I'm sure your clients appreciate you and the product line you use. Discerning clients are the best and they are worth waiting for and are loyal to you and the brand you use.

Latest posts

Back