acrylic question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferlouise

Reaction score
perhaps a silly question but I keep wondering why when i see some instructions for acrylic sculpted nails they say just lay the white up to the free edge. so it isnt actually touching the nail ,,then apply the clear layers....surely doesnt this make the white edge week, and prone to breakages??? xx

This will not make the nail weak, as when you apply the next zone the two will fuse together and during the polymerisation process will set together as normal.

what if you want to make the smile start a bit further down the nail? for example on clients who dont want the natural nail shortening. can the white then be placed down the nail? of would you need to build the free edge with clear/pink then place white overlapping the join??
(just wonder if theres a reason the 1st part doesnt overlap the natural nail)

That's interesting I am being taught that the white has to overlap the natural nail therefore pink and whites arent suitable to short bitten nails. Although I am only doing a foundation course, there is a further course I can take if I want to learn how to extend the nail bed.

Will add that to this weeks list of questions ! lol

The instructions you are reading could be sculpting out the white in 2 beads.

The first bead would be to sculpt out a tip and this would be butted up to the natural free edge. The second bead would be like doing an overlay on the tip you have sculpted just like doing a tip/overlay.

Hope that makes sense!

The instructions as you have written them do sound rather strange and the nails they would make would have natural free edge showing and a clear layer over the entire nail.

a good demo to watch is nail angel ,nail biter fully sculpt, you will need to log in with a name, i cannot see how the sculptured tip doesnt break straight off.lol...xx

Had a look and if it's the french sculptured, it's pretty much the norm. The white was taken slightly over the natural free edge.

It wouldn't snap off as structure has been built in to the nail.

thanks for all the replies , it was the nail biter demo. but as the first reply said it probably all bonds together.x one day i will save enough for a course...lol xxx

Latest posts

Back