Acrylic turning yellow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyt

Reaction score
why does acrylic start to go yellow after time? (approx 2 months) is it too thick acrylic build up on nail?

why does acrylic start to go yellow after time? (approx 2 months) is it too thick acrylic build up on nail?

I have been waiting for a more experienced geek to reply to this today as I've not had any experience with yellowing enhancements.

From reading on here and from my education and books etc., yellowing comes from different things.. I would have said the most common would be contaminated monomer or brush. I have also read on here how products can yellow acrylic such as tanning lotion but I would have thought this would be apparent quite quickly and would be removable with your abrasive.

I am wondering if this yellowing after a two month period could by uv yellowing? I know that the products that I use have ingredients that resist uv yellowing. So I'm not 100% certain of this due to lack of experience but given timescale and the fact that the yellowing doesn't disappear with rebalancing I would have thought it would be something like this.

Come on Geeks... any suggestions?

i'm not very experienced yet, but i've got a client who's had pink & whites on for about 2 months and her whites go yellow, i think my clients enhancements are going yellow because she smokes alot and never wears gloves when doing her dishes or using cleaning products.

acrylics goes yellow for a number of reasons including:
- contaminated brush/monomer
- No UV inhibitors in the acrylic systems causing yellowing when in contact with the sun rays
- wrong consistency of polymer to monomer too wet
- using bleach /harsh detergents without wearing gloves - because acrylics are porous therefore liquid and air can pass through
- smoke and tar can cause discolouration in acrylics
- the product is ''stale''
- not letting the primer dry completely prior to apply acrylics

hope it helps you!~

im not super experienced, I haven't had many discoloration problems with my clients but in my understanding, (lol, this is where the experts jump in and correct me if im wrong!) a quality product will only discolor by staining (from nail polish, cleaners, tanning lotion ect), and that should buff right off. if the product itself has turned yellow, like from UV exposure, then you should look into switching systems, or at the very least start using some kind of UV cured top gloss:)
I had a client come in with bright yellow nails one time, but she admitted she stuck her hands in lysol without gloves lol, I didn't even have to buff, just swiped them with nailpure and they looked good as new:p
Posted via Mobile Device

acrylics goes yellow for a number of reasons including:
- contaminated brush/monomer
- No UV inhibitors in the acrylic systems causing yellowing when in contact with the sun rays
- wrong consistency of polymer to monomer too wet
- using bleach /harsh detergents without wearing gloves - because acrylics are porous therefore liquid and air can pass through
- smoke and tar can cause discolouration in acrylics
- the product is ''stale''
- not letting the primer dry completely prior to apply acrylics

hope it helps you!~

Just read this and had a mild panic.....do products go stale? Do they have use by dates? I've had some of my stock for quite a while!

Kelly x

thanks geeks. after thinking about it i feel really blonde because its only really on certain clients and the one in particular that bothers me, is a smoker!! feel so daft didnt even think of that and its such a obviouse thing. sure the acrylic fumes are making me mental!!:)

Just read this and had a mild panic.....do products go stale? Do they have use by dates? I've had some of my stock for quite a while!

Kelly x

Nail products have a shelf life, once they are opened the liquid should be used within 6 months and powder within a year. If it is unopened than you should be ok, depending of course on how long you have had it....if it's been years, I'd toss it.

Latest posts

Back