Adding another coat of Shellac AFTER topcoat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waxcetera

Reaction score
I shellaced my own nail last night, red baroness. I did 2 coats, but after going out in the sun today, I've realised it 'desperately' needed 3 coats.

Do I have to take it all off or can I buff the top coat off and put another layer of RB then topcoat again? Anyone tried this, does it affect the finish?

thanks

I shellaced my own nail last night, red baroness. I did 2 coats, but after going out in the sun today, I've realised it 'desperately' needed 3 coats.

Do I have to take it all off or can I buff the top coat off and put another layer of RB then topcoat again? Anyone tried this, does it affect the finish?

thanks

Red Baroness is a pretty opaque colour so I'm not sure why it would ever need 3 coats of colour unless it wasn't shaken prior to applying it but .. the answer to your question is that yes you can give the surface a light buff (no need to remove all of the top coat away ) and then add another coat of colour and top coat.

The only affect it could have is to 'bulk up' the look of the nail perhaps which I personally don't care for. The beauty of Shellac is that it doesn't bulk up the nail and make it look like an enhancement, it looks like polish ... only better! :green::green:

Thanks Geeg,

was my application :( I had no choice but to do it at night, my lighting is pants, and I've noticed a couple of patches, plus I remember doing 3 coats once before and I preferred it that little bit darker you get with 3.

Not easy being a perfectionist. If I don't do them, it will bug me ;)

Thanks for your help x

Excellent - this is what I need to do too then. I applied Fedora yesterday and it's very patchy on a few nails. Maybe my coats are waaay too thin?!

Will try this tonight.

PGx

It's worked, came out perfect :D

You had any doubt??:)

I think the beauty of shellac is the coverage you can get from applying it,however the first coat always looks a little streaky after the first coat...but the beauty is in the thinness of the application.

I tried iced cappuccino and romantique layered one coat of each...thought i would love it,but in fact it was hideous on me,as i don't have warm skin tones,so decided to layer tutti frutti over it to see what would would happen and loved the effect....!...nudes just do not go with me.

I just love the effect that it feels and looks like polish but has the longevity of a gel.........:)

Excellent - this is what I need to do too then. I applied Fedora yesterday and it's very patchy on a few nails. Maybe my coats are waaay too thin?!

Will try this tonight.

PGx

Hi there,
either you didn't shake the bottle enough, the coat was applied super thin or you are dragging the brush across the nail when applying the second coat, so in fact removing some off it. Try a light hand and angle your brush so its parallel with the nail plate, this might help... Just a thought xxxxx

Hi there,
either you didn't shake the bottle enough, the coat was applied super thin or you are dragging the brush across the nail when applying the second coat, so in fact removing some off it. Try a light hand and angle your brush so its parallel with the nail plate, this might help... Just a thought xxxxx

Thanks for this advice. I've just buffed my sisters nails a bit and applied more Tropix. I applied a slightly thicker coat and made sure I was very light-I'm really pleased with the results this time!! I'll definitely use these same techniques next time-I'm excited now!! I was dreading my next Shellacing! Thanks again PGx

Latest posts

Back