Additives peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I have done a search on this and want a bit more information.

I've had 2 clients who have had additives and their nails have peeled.
With just shellac not issues.

I make sure the top coat is properly sealing the whole nail.
Any other suggestions why this could be happening.

What exactly is peeling? The top coat? The colour coat? Both at the same time? Every client? Just a few? All nails? Just a few? 2 clients out of 20 that have had additives or the only two clients who have had additives? Throw the dog a bone here!! :biggrin:

Sorry thumb & index finger, colour and additive peeling from free edge.

No other clients have requested the additives yet as I have recently got them in and done colour pops with new colour combinations. So yes peeled on the two clients I did them on.

Try two top coats and seal the free edge well

Me too! I was just going to post about this...I've been doing a lady a while, she gets various nail art, all done with shellac, plus glitters, swarovskis etc.. I'm new to additives though and applied blush bronzed from my charmed kit the other day over hot pop pink, then dotted some more hot pop pink over the additives and did 2 coats of top coat. 2 days later those middle finger only were looking terrible, worn away from the edges and it looked like the top coat had worn off and taken some of the shellac dots with them. All other fingers perfect swarovskis and glitters intact. Kind of puts me off using additives!

I think the trick is not to be too heavy handed when applying the additives....try using a very small amount.....:Love:

My my .. Don't give in so easily ... If you are experimenting on your clients more silly you. Additives work great when you know how ... Attended a CND class using additives lately? Or one of the demos set up at various distributors? One on'the 25 th in Leeds.

You only need to do a light dusting and then brush every loose bit off until smooth. If you work too much on and don't dust it smooth you can get into trouble.

Google Jeni smith CND additives you tube and subscribe to her videos.
Google fingernailfixer CND additives you tube
Google devinebydesign CND additives YouTube

They will teach you ALLOTyou probably do not know. But I still say go to a class.

I haven't tried 2 topcoats, so I'll try that.

I use only a little amount of additives.
Dust every last bit off then top coat.
I take extra care to make sure I've sealed the whole nail with top coat.

If it is on.y on two nails then maybe it is something the client has done and nothing to do with you?

I've had this problem this week with my own nails but around my cuticle area (I have a shellac additive fade on my nails not full coverage). All of my.clients nails are still perfect and I have been using additives since they came out and love them. Basically I was in a rush to finish by time I got to my right hand and applied too much additive to some nails and as a result it has peeled very slightly... I have also been naughty and not used my solar oil this week.

The client came in for a repair I put double top coat on all the nails, and she still had peeling! Now she's saying additives are not for her, she will stick to shellac.

She swears she's not hard on her nails, she works in an office, she says she uses solar oil.

The client came in for a repair I put double top coat on all the nails, and she still had peeling! Now she's saying additives are not for her, she will stick to shellac.

She swears she's not hard on her nails, she works in an office, she says she uses solar oil.

This happened to me today, just the layer of additive worn away on my free edge, but the colour underneath is still intact.
I do think i might have put too much on now (even tho when doing it, it seamed only a tiny bit)

I use additives all the time with no problems but I do think you might be applying a bit too much you really need the smallest amount. I have all of them since launch and use them daily but haven't finished a full pot yet. If I want an intense colour, I layer it up by going over the additive with clearly pink then going over with more additive to build a more intense colour (hope that makes sense). Try it on your self and see if you notice a difference.

I wear shellac with additives and they never peel and I use the tiniest amount.
I've used it on 2 other clients and they were fine.

She keeps coming back every time she has her shellac done, that it's chipped, she swears she's using right aftercare.
I suggested to her maybe shellac aunt for you then, if you are following aftercare. Maybe try a Vinylux manicure.

If the shellac is peeling off she could have an oily nail plate... This may have already been said earlier. x

Remember that Shellac will only stick to Shellac. Use an angled detail brush lightly moistened with a little IPA and wipe around the perimeter of the nail plate, to make sure the edges are all exposing Shellac. Then apply your topcoat. Always keep this rule in mind when embedding anything between your Shellac layers ;)

Heather Davis
Team CND Global Education Ambassador

Remember that Shellac will only stick to Shellac. Use an angled detail brush lightly moistened with a little IPA and wipe around the perimeter of the nail plate, to make sure the edges are all exposing Shellac. Then apply your topcoat. Always keep this rule in mind when embedding anything between your Shellac layers ;)

Heather Davis
Team CND Global Education Ambassador

Thank you for your advice!

Latest posts

Back