Advice for staff meeting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste

Reaction score
I know it sounds thick of me to ask but i have never had to do this befor,i need to hold a staff meeting due to one staff member nit pickin another but not to the others face to me all the time, some thing i agree with as the second member is new to the industry so needs to learn also i need to go over things like phones and phone calls but what other thing do you go over in your meetings
Thanks for any help :)

It sounds like you've already got a lot of the main things you want to talk about sorted! Highlight problems but in a constructive way really. Where I work some of the girls take meetings far too personally so maybe approach it from the angle of "here are some things we need to address, lets all learn from it and move on and make today a good day"
Just general customer service too? I'm sure you offer a great service but just incase there are any little issues or things that could be improved, i'm sure it will all be fine really and will help to bond your team together more :D

Sorry if that didn't really make sense, I hope it did but I felt like I was rambling a bit?

Hi yes it did thanks, thats why i feel daft for askin i know what i need to do but i do find this the hardest part of the job, just dont want to waffel on and get nothing from it i understand about some taking it personal i dont want that, thanks again :)

I am not a manager but as a participant in team meetings, I always think it helps to start with all the bad stuff and stuff that is changing and always end on a happy note. Stops everyone dwelling on the not so nice stuff xx

One way you could do it to make sure you get through all your points is have an agenda for the meeting. Could simply be
1. Staff rules
2. Customer service
3. Any other business (their chance to air anything)

Could seem quite formal but for some team members it's nice to know what it's about. What you can then do as its a formal meeting is ask everyone to grab a brew & provide biscuits/sweet treats (those tubs from m&s are fab) and that brings it more informal/friendly again.

Just an idea xxx

Agree with the above posts, but also, I wouldn't try and cram too much into a meeting as most of it will get forgotton. Just focus on one or two important points, and, if you get into the habit of regular meetings, any other points that arise can be covered in the next meeting. Regular meetings will also stop staff from worrying about them, as they know they are coming anyway. Not all meetings have to have "concerns" addressed - some will eventually be all positive, and that is very good for staff morale.

hth xx

^ what she said ;) ^

Thanks thats really helped :)

At our staff meeting we all get a copy of the agenda. Nothing too detailed, just like . . .

1. Customer service on telephone.
2. Changing our bleach brand.
3. Arranging holidays.

Just bullet points, so staff remember what they have talked about.

I manage staff outside of this industry (two jobs on the go) and have lots of experience of staff meetings.

For me setting agendas in advance is important, asking staff for any items they want to add, and getting them to introduce and talk about the item.

Not give it to you to do all the talking and deliver something they don't want to.

A structured approach will let them know you are professional and mean business.

Always take minutes even if you rotate the minute taker, this has always been a bone of contention where I work as some people hate it. I would do the first set yourself so they can see the standard you expect.

Circulate them afterwards and keep a copy on a electronic file or manual copy.

Encourage your staff to discuss issues openly and honestly (without getting personal) this is the hardest bit, as I have had meetings almost get out of hand but its my job to bring things back down to a profressional level but thrash out the problems at the same time.

In my line of work if staff want to change things or introduce new ways of working I get them to commit to trying things and getting them to work together is a good way of overcoming relationship problems.

Getting staff to recognise each others strengths and weaknesses is a skill and the time spent working on relationships in the workplace shouldn't be underestimated. One to ones are good for discussing these types of issues as well or annual performance reviews.

If you need any more help /support PM me.

I think that when managing a team that you have to be quite clever and allow people to have some say and make certain decisions as a group.

I had an issue in my day job where people were using personal mobiles during work time, not wearing their proper uniform etc, and not wanting to bring it up in a team meeting in a way that those who were not 'guilty' would feel upset that they were being addressed for something that they had not done. It can also dilute the message for those who are guilty and often they don't totally get that it is for them.

Ask the team to think about standards for the salon, what they expect from each other as a team, and what customers would expect from them, get them to set their own rules and make them responsible. You'll be surprised what comes out from a session like this :)

Hey, wanted to read through this when I have more time, great point (and for when I have staff)

At my last salon we had a staff meeting once a month, and we would go through the salon achievements, targets, who was close to target, who did well last month and sometimes we got incentives (i did work for a big spa/club we didn't have this in the smaller salon I worked in) monthly promos, anything else we needed to know, overall on any complaints that were made and then any issues that staff had brought up, we then went round the circle and said if anyone had a problem, I.e tweezers going missing or the pedis not being done etc the normals rubbish you get when you have alot of girls all working together.

Hope that helps x

Also quick note, made sure you remind your staff how well they are doing and how grateful you are :) always goes down a treat! :)

Latest posts

Back