Advice needed for friend/clients nails please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbie

Reaction score
Hello geeks hope everyone is well :green:

Just a query about some enhancements I did just over a week ago on a friend (and also my first paying client). I used well less tips and CND l&p but left them quite long as this was how she wanted them (against my advice though). I have seen her at school this morning and two of them have broken, a thumb nail and a little finger. From what I could see they have broken on the tip (corners coming off) so I think the rest of the nails are okay, as in no lifting or anything. But she has agreed that they are too long and is coming tomorrow for me to repair the broken ones and shorten the rest.

This may seem like a really daft question but what is going to be the best way to shorten them? File them down or can I trim them and then file, and once the length is sorted will I need to rebalance with l&p again or could I just take some thickness from the free edge with a file to balance it out iykwim? I know she will have her baby with her so time will be a factor (as it will be for me i will probably have a couple of hours tops) And lastly (sorry this is dragging on lol) should I charge her for all this or just consider it experience? I'm not running a business yet and still very much in the learning zone with all this.

thank you in advance for trawling through all that :green:

If the nais are all fine otherwise and they just need shortening then it shouldn't take you too long at all, I wouldnt trim them with anything as the pressure of the clippers is likely to cause 'micro-cracks' i.e tiny cracks that you can't even see..which will weaken the nails and eventually cause them to break.

So file down the length with a 100 or 150 grit file, then I'd use a 180 grit over the top and 'bevel' the free edge until it is at a suitable thickness...it doesn't want to be too thick and it doesn't want to be too thin...make sure that they are not too thin or they will be likely to chip again. Be careful to not file away your apex as well.
Then buff as you would usually to bring the filed areas back up to high shine...eh voila!

Yes you must charge or she may expect her nails to be repaired for free all the time...you had advised her in the first place that they were too long.

thank you soo much for replying :green: everything you said I had in my head I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do anything wrong lol, like i said still in the learning zone and sometimes the stuff i think i can do i shouldn't and vice versa lol thank you again :lol:

Latest posts

Back