Advice needed for quiet period in salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyLoungeSW

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I own a beauty salon based in south wales which we opened in February this year. We have had a brilliant first few months with may, june and july being so busy, obviously due to the fab weather we have had plus people wanting all their beauty treatments ready for their holidays. However, we have had a huge drop in bookings in august and september so we are very quiet at the moment.

We do emails to existing clients every month, including promotions and exclusive competitions to win small treatments as an incentive, we advertise every 3 months in a local magazine, use twitter & facebook to promote the salon on a daily basis, plus promote treatments and services to our clients when they are in the salon, yet we have hardly seemed to get any body taking us up on our treatments or offers over the past month and a half.

I was just wondering if any body is experiencing the same quiet period at the moment and if any body has any tips or advice on how to bring people in during these quiet few months as i would like to get my salon back to how busy it was during the summer months.

Thanks

Hi
From my experience the school holidays always create a lull. Obviously don't want or can't bring the kids to appointments, about a third of the uk are on holiday either abroad or with kids, then there's kitting out school uniforms and the likes.
Don't worry it picks up again this month :)

thank you for your reply Chrysalis, gives me a little peace of mind that you've experienced it too :) We have a really busy day today with our 3 therapist booked out fully so things should be looking up!

XX

I'm having the same problem in my salon :( need some advice xx

I live about an hour and half from you. I have noticed i have gone quiet. I only started in June, and don't have a build up of clients yet, so it is proving difficult if they don't have the money and haven't tried my services to yet want to come back!! I am at wits end at the moment. I have two Monday and one thursday..

I am having the same problem although i am mobile based not in a salon :( x

I kind of look forward to the drop in clients in September, as it gives me a bit of breathing space and time to think what to do for Christmas. Don't worry it soon picks up again :biggrin:

I have had steady clients for a while, but then they stopped and I get new clients.

I'm a home based salon and building up my business while I'm working full time.

So partly my fault as I haven't done enough marketing, promoting, networking, due to not finding time between work and seeing clients.

I'm trying to build up the business so I can go part time and eventually leave my full time job.

When I have my quite days I try to catch up on paperwork, marketing, promoting.

It's did-heartening when its quite but gotta keep positive to keep it going.

Hey,
Don't panic it always gets quieter now! Come Christmas you will not have time to breathe!
Remember to always rebook people
Make yourself recognised let people know you are there
We get most of our clients from surrounding businesses so worth a little leaflet drop around shops cafes etc get all there staff involved!
Put your work on facebook get your October halloween offers running
Do vouchers for Christmas Birthdays etc
Get involved in Christmas fairs (brows, sprays, nails, massages) get involved in Christmas partie bookings, school Christmas fates, email everyone!
Do a late night for people who finish work late and make your opening hours clear to everyone be there when they need to rebook!

I hope everyone gets real busy at Xmas time xxx:Love:

Even my usually busy hairdresser friend is quiet in September. People are paying off their holiday Visa bills! Plus they all had hair and beauty treatments for holidays and seem to make their next appointment stretch a bit. Post holiday depression and thinking of covering up for winter gets to us all. Then we get used to it and embrace the change in season. I'm sure it'll pick up, my friends can really bring in lots of business between October and Christmas to shore up the earnings for a while.
Keep positive and patient x

September is often a quiet month.Halloween is quite good for spray tans,nails as lots of people dress up now.Also once it starts to get colder its good to start promoting things like hot stones,winter warming packages,warm essential oil massages,hot mitts and boots in manis and pedis.
Come November try get your christmas party bookings and sell gift vouchers.December you will be very,very busy.
You can also use the quiet times for doing your accounts or doing some extra courses you might want to do.

Thank you so much for all your comments, has made me feel SO much better. We are currently training in semi permanent lashes ready for Christmas along with attending a local wedding fayre at the end of this month.

Really nice to see fellow beauty therapists all lending a helping hand to each other:)

Thanks again,

xx

Hiya dont worry about it, things will pick up this month I'm sure :)
Ive been the same and do feel better for reading this thread. My first quiet week was fantastic and relaxing, but then the second was pretty disheartening and then this week I've been really fed up with no wage.
But it is due to everyone getting kids back to school, holidays, saving money, and spacing appointments out for christmas too!
X

Last edited:
Thanks rachul123 yeah been really disheartened and the stress is unbelievable as I have 3 staff to pay plus rent and bills etc :s not ideal but I'm determined at least xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

I've just started a competition in my home salon to recommend a friend. Each client gets 5 cards at their appointment with their name on, they give them to their friends (they have 10% off on the back), when their friends redeem the 10% off the card with their name on goes into a prize draw at the end of November... The more people they recommend the more chance they have of winning. Will let you know how many cards I get back! x ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1380745890.465715.jpg

Phew, glad it's not just me! I'm also based in South Wales beautyloungeSW. I started renting a room in April. August was quite busy although i was on holiday for a week so i had a bit of a back log to come home to. I expected September to be a bit quieter but you still can't help but worry. I hope it picks up for us all soon. I'm really looking forward to my first self employed Christmas :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back