Advice needed prior to spa pedicure, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sass

Reaction score
Problem Nails.jpgI have a potential new client, who is coming (hopefully) for a spa Mani & Pedi combo. Her big toe nails are concerning me even though she has been to her GP. He took clippings and has stated that there is no fungal infection present. I would like your opinions before I commence with treatment. :Love:

http://www.salongeek.com/picture.php?albumid=7691&pictureid=58321

Her left big toe looks like onycholysis from the free edge to the cuticle. Her dr said there wasn't a fungal infection, but what about bacterial infection? Does she have psoriasis? It could be infecting her nails. Is she elderly? Sometimes, nails just get thick and yellow with age.
If those are ruled out, then go ahead with the pedicure but make sure you throw away everything that has come in contact with her feet or nails. Probably would be a good idea to run a disinfectant solution through your pedicure spa for 10-15 minutes and wipe down everything with disinfectant spray.

View attachment 35536I have a potential new client, who is coming (hopefully) for a spa Mani & Pedi combo. Her big toe nails are concerning me even though she has been to her GP. He took clippings and has stated that there is no fungal infection present. I would like your opinions before I commence with treatment. :Love:

http://www.salongeek.com/picture.php?albumid=7691&pictureid=58321

If the doctor has OKed the treatment then you should be satisfied with his diagnosis and advice ... That is the reason we go to doctors as we are not qualified to diagnose medical conditions.

Your normal pedicure routine and hygiene should be quite enough to protect your client/s (as the doctor has stated there is no infection present in these nails. If they were infected, you wouldn't be doing them at all). Normal hygiene practice should always be done ... It is enough ... I don't think you need to go over the top ... Just do your job in the professional way and that will be sufficient.

Thank you both for your replies. She has since told me that her left toe is separated and that it is due to an old injury. Now the challenge is the french polish, LOL. Masking these nails will be a bit of a challenge for me, but I love a challenge, so onward and upwards. xx

Thank you both for your replies. She has since told me that her left toe is separated and that it is due to an old injury. Now the challenge is the french polish, LOL. Masking these nails will be a bit of a challenge for me, but I love a challenge, so onward and upwards. xx

No challenge there if you use Brisa Lite Smoothing gel or Brisa Lite Sculpting gel first! Your client would see a nice regular nail shape emerge immediately!! Probably for the the first time in years and years.

No challenge there if you use Brisa Lite Smoothing gel or Brisa Lite Sculpting gel first! Your client would see a nice regular nail shape emerge immediately!! Probably for the the first time in years and years.
I hear you and yes the finished look would be amazing, but I was taught that Onycholysis is a disorder that must not be worked on?? Surely even the new Brisa gels would fall into this category??

I hear you and yes the finished look would be amazing, but I was taught that Onycholysis is a disorder that must not be worked on?? Surely even the new Brisa gels would fall into this category??

It depends on the severity of the Onycholysis, what caused it and the condition of the nails and your experience.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Brisa Lite on either of those nails, and have done many treatments on clients who had varying amounts of onycholysis.

Onycholysis is not a disease ... It is nail plate separation and can be caused by many things. The presence of Onycholysis does not always contra-indicate treatment. Whoever taught you you could not work on nails with onycholysis didn't explain it to you very thoroughly.

Latest posts

Back