Opinion on this toenail, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucielu

Reaction score
Morning lovely geeks,
I have a regular client who has shellac manicures.
I do not treat her feet but she would like them done for Christmas as she is going on holiday. But she showed me her toenails as she was quite concerned.
She has been to the docs, had the test for fungal infection which came back negative, and never got much further than that.
Just wondered if you could share your opinions on what you think it could be so I can send her back to her go with some ideas.
Could it have been started by trauma to the nail by shoes or other? Also looks like the second toe could have
similar?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349951927.597610.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349951927.597610.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 638
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349951939.804872.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1349951939.804872.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 581
Her big toe looks like one of mine.... Well technically both, I had ingrown bits removed and they killed part of the nail bed to stop them becoming ingrown again and it resulted in my nail looking like this (I've since had one completely removed as it caused me bother)... I always wear something on my nail to cover it up

Not really sure if that's of much help. I have a client as well who had a trauma to her thumb which now also looks similar. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see any other answers xx

my big toenails looked like this when i wore trainers that were half a size too small for me, i went out for pub golf and wore them from 4pm till 6am and this was the result... never again x

Morning lovely geeks,
I have a regular client who has shellac manicures.
I do not treat her feet but she would like them done for Christmas as she is going on holiday. But she showed me her toenails as she was quite concerned.
She has been to the docs, had the test for fungal infection which came back negative, and never got much further than that.
Just wondered if you could share your opinions on what you think it could be so I can send her back to her go with some ideas.
Could it have been started by trauma to the nail by shoes or other? Also looks like the second toe could have
similar?

Well I have a very similar problem with my big toenail on my right foot. Mines not fungal either.

I had bunions removed when 18 and this has consequently led to arthritis in my toe joints. On my right toe it slightly bends up at the nail end, rubbing continually against the roof of my shoes, when wearing enclosed shoes.

This in turn has caused trauma and onycholysis every so often. I even get a greeny every so often,which I hate.I posted pics on here a few years ago of it but think I've now removed.

Anyway, obviously there's no greeny in the toenail you have shown but it does look exactly the same as mine does 98% of the time. There's nothing I can do about mine because of the stiffness in the joint. Other than wear permanent open toes shoes to stop the trauma. Sometimes it's very painful as well, with intense pressure on my big toe nails.

I would suggest if fungal has definately been ruled out in this case that its similar to what I have, given the toes look identical to mine.

There are things that can be made for the toes to keep them in place also inserts that you can either buy or that your podiatrist can custom make. These are quite expensive but really do help. Make sure the shoes fit well and aren't too pinchy.

Nail polish has disguised it for me but this doesn't get away from the pain I suffer a lot. Make sure to advice the client to keep her toe nails nice and short and wear the right shoes.

Last edited:
I have a client who suffers from really bad psoriasis and her nails look exactly like this. Her doctor is quite happy for her to have shellac treatments though.

I have a big toenail simiar to that, I had it checked good few years ago and wasn't anything just trauma, I have to keep the nail very short and often the free edge sides break a bit if let them grow, tho norm I know when to long as can feel in shoes, I lve summer as it doesn't bother me with open shoes. I was told is fine to put polish, gel polish etc on it

I was just told keep it nice and clean and dry well after baths, showers etc.

Testing for fungal toenail infections can be difficult, sometimes there is not enough infected material provided in the sample for the lab to identify if there is a microorganism there and which one, therefore producing a false negative result.

I have to say that in the big toe especially it does look very much like a fungal infection. From your point of view I would note down your observation that it is suspected fungal toenail but that your client agrees to the Shellac service, (get her to sign it). I would then use a set of tools that you can throw away afterwards. (do the infected toes last to prevent cross-contamination).

Wow thank you all for your replies. Kind of what I was thinking, I just wanted to know if there was something else it could be that I hadn't heard of!!
I agree Elaine it does look suspiciously fungal, ill proceed with caution!
Thank you all again xx

My friend has Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis, her toe nails look the same as this and the arthritis is causing her toes to curl downwards now so one is permanantly rubbing on the floor/bottom of her shoe x

If it was me I would ask her to try treating it as if it was fungal and see if it improves then you will know either way as treating it shouldn't cause any harm if it isn't fungal!!

Do you have a doctors letter confirming that it is not a fungal infection? I personally wouldn't go near these toes without one. Clients will say anything to have pretty toes for Christmas and Fungal nails are so contagious ( and so horrible to have) that i just wouldn't risk it :D

My friend has Psoriasis and Psoriatic arthritis, her toe nails look the same as this and the arthritis is causing her toes to curl downwards now so one is permanantly rubbing on the floor/bottom of her shoe x

My mom has psoriatic arthritis and her nails curl. The doctor did tell us that the nails (depending on the person) grow in yellow and discolored and can grow very thick. Thank goodness hers don't yet though :)

Its so hard because we are nail techs not doctors! I agree with the posts above me and getting a signature. I would print the photos off and put them in her client file along with the signature.

You will be hard pressed to get any doctor to give you a signature on a clients health etc. I have never had one client get one. Why? Because the doctors have better things to be doing, are too busy and won't risk it. They don't know what we are using or if it could have a contra action to the clients health. I know this because I have several clients who are doctors and this is what they have told me.

I see no reason why a polish can't be applied, regardless of your concerns. Nail polish wont harbour pathogens. As long as files are thrown away and it's just a shape and paint.

Personally I wouldn't turn the business away. Ok, I wouldn't perform a pedi if I were the least bit suspicious but a shape and paint won't hurt anyone. If I were turned away when I KNOW I haven't got a fungal infection I would simply go elsewhere.

Correct hygiene etc will stop cross infection.

Thanks everyone that's great advice. Yes I guess if she treats it as fungal it won't do any harm. Thanks again for your opinions :0)

Latest posts

Back