Advice on a sublet tenant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makemefake

Reaction score
I am subletting the upstairs part of my hairdressers to a lady doing beauty treatments. She has been there for around 6 years and has not signed her latest contract. I am wanting to replace this lady with another lady who I believe will bring more profit to my salon and bring it forward into this century!! I have been told that legally the lady who is already in, has rights as she has been there a long time even though she hasn't signed her contract Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

have you been told by somebody who actually knows about law? if so, couldn't they advise you on your next move? if you haven't spoken to a professional in reguards to laws then i would get in touch with the cab, atleast then you will get correct advice. the last thing you want is to be taken to court for something or other. x

Surely any contract, whether it's the latest one she hasn't signed, or the previous one she did, has a termination notice in it? There used to be something in employment law regarding 'implied acceptance' of a contract when it wasn't signed or challenged after a certain period of time (not sure that was the legal term but it's a decent description), I don't know if this or anything like it is applicable regarding leasing.

I'm assuming you had previous contracts drawn up by a solicitor - go back to them, they'll be able to give you recommendations on next steps.

think you might have to give her 3 months notice to quit

can you not talk to the lady you already have in to see if you can come up with some ideas to increase profit etc as i think this seems alittle unfair on her as she has been with you six years

I am subletting the upstairs part of my hairdressers to a lady doing beauty treatments. She has been there for around 6 years and has not signed her latest contract. I am wanting to replace this lady with another lady who I believe will bring more profit to my salon and bring it forward into this century!! I have been told that legally the lady who is already in, has rights as she has been there a long time even though she hasn't signed her contract Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Do you know why she hasnt signed her latest contract?
She has been there 6 years! That is a long time!!
Sometimes its "better the devil you know"
Am I correct in thinking you are two separate businesses operating under the same roof?

I think it is shocking that you want to replace this loyal lady with another who you believe will bring your salon more profit & bring into this century!!
That is nobody elses job but your own!!
Yes, it is an added extra if you bring each other business, but you cant rely on this or get rid of someone because they are not bringing YOU in business!

How can someone who rents a beauty space from you bring your salon into this century?

I think this sounds very unfair of you, & as someone who has rented a beauty room in the same place for 4 & half years I would be gutted if this was the reason why I was asked to leave.

Would you like this done to you?

I am a great believer in, treating people how you expect to be treated!

You could come off a lot worse, this current beauty therapist could leave an open up her own salon on your door step!

I am not being nasty here, just seeing this from the other angle!
x:hug:x

Agree with Emma, well said

Something very similar to this happened to me 3 years ago.
I had been renting in a hairdressers for 6 years and doing very well. The owner of the salon got greedy and decided that by employing a beauty therapist herself she could make more money than by getting a fixed regular rent from me.
I was very lucky to get premises just 3 doors away and obviously all my clients which I had worked really hard to get came with me.
Her therapist didin't do well and she ended up selling the hairdressers and her house because of money problems, and she now rents a chair herself in someone elses salon. My business has grown from strength to strength and I actually bless the day she gave me notice to quit.
If you get rid of the therapist in there now, she will probabably take all her clients with her and then where will that leave you!!!

Latest posts

Back