Advice on courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joflakes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to all of this and wanted some advice.
I'm currently working full time & studying at University full time as well, but it has always been a bit of a dream of mine to become a beauty therapist.

I've just done a day course in CND Shellac UV nails, which I loved, and now I want to do more!
I think I'm going to do a basic manicure & pedicure course at the end of the month.

Anyway, I love it all so far and ideally want to be able to do nail treatments initially as a hobby and to supplement my income.

I can't commit to an NVQ or anything at a college but what day courses would you all recommend, or what is most popular?

Any advice greatly welcomed!

Thank you
Jo

Where did you do your Shellac course? It can't have been a legitimate course, because CND will only allow you on a Shellac course if you already have done your manicure and pedicure certificate. CND is professional only. So now you will have to buy your supplies through unauthorised sources as well. Shame to start out on the wrong foot like that.

Where did you do your Shellac course? It can't have been a legitimate course, because CND will only allow you on a Shellac course if you already have done your manicure and pedicure certificate. CND is professional only. So now you will have to buy your supplies through unauthorised sources as well. Shame to start out on the wrong foot like that.

It was through a private company - it wasn't listed as the official CND one, just one that happened to use CND products.

I just took the course to do it for myself initially so it wasn't an issue.

What would you recommend?

It was through a private company - it wasn't listed as the official CND one, just one that happened to use CND products.

I just took the course to do it for myself initially so it wasn't an issue.

What would you recommend?
Is it not an issue for you that you now cannot buy legitimate Shellac? That you will be forced to buy from the likes of eBay and dodgy sellers rather than develop a good relationship with a legit supplier? That you have a certificate that is worthless? That if the people who taught you are like that, that their course was probably pants as well? Those would all be issues for me.

|Hi Geeg,

I am not a nail therapist and I don't know the industry.I would like to do a manicure course and use shellac. Can i do that? or to buy shellac i have to do a training with them?

thank you very much

It might be worth you giving sweet squared a ring (0845 210 6060) and having a look at other threads on this site on courses. Official CND course prices are really competitive and the days are spaced out (as with CND complete) over a few months. You can start off on the right footing, with great support and as you already know, great products.

Have a good look through the threads and you will understand why there is real passion for CND:biggrin: x

Is it not an issue for you that you now cannot buy legitimate Shellac? That you will be forced to buy from the likes of eBay and dodgy sellers rather than develop a good relationship with a legit supplier? That you have a certificate that is worthless? That if the people who taught you are like that, that their course was probably pants as well? Those would all be issues for me.

My certificate isn't worthless. I wanted to do it for myself and found I really enjoyed it...if I hadn't I wouldn't have considered doing it legitimately. It is accredited by HABIA CPD, The Beauty Guild and The Guild of Beauty Therapists, and the course wasn't pants.

It might be worth you giving sweet squared a ring (0845 210 6060) and having a look at other threads on this site on courses. Official CND course prices are really competitive and the days are spaced out (as with CND complete) over a few months. You can start off on the right footing, with great support and as you already know, great products.

Have a good look through the threads and you will understand why there is real passion for CND:biggrin: x

Thanks for your helpful reply! I'll do that now. Well maybe I'll call Sweet Squared tomorrow as I doubt they'll be around tonight! I'll look at threads though. Thank you.

Hi Jo - if you have a look on the Sweet Squared website you'll find all the course information there.

I'm a relative newbie as well, and hoping to start the CND Complete course next month after reading tons of useful information on this site.

Welcome to Salon Geek anyway! :biggrin:

Hi Jo - if you have a look on the Sweet Squared website you'll find all the course information there.

I'm a relative newbie as well, and hoping to start the CND Complete course next month after reading tons of useful information on this site.

Hi Floss26, good thinking, you can look on it tonight Jo. The prices also include loads of kit. The ambassadors are great. On the CND complete, after the 14th day you get your CND cert and can then get insurance to practice, to top it off you also work towards the ITEC qualification (included in price) so it's worth every penny. Good luck and definitely look at what others have written :biggrin:

Hi Floss26, good thinking, you can look on it tonight Jo. The prices also include loads of kit. The ambassadors are great. On the CND complete, after the 14th day you get your CND cert and can then get insurance to practice, to top it off you also work towards the ITEC qualification (included in price) so it's worth every penny. Good luck and definitely look at what others have written :biggrin:

I've just been looking at the CND complete one. It looks amazing and if money was no object I would jump at it but at the moment I can't afford that kind of money :grr:

I've just been looking at the CND complete one. It looks amazing and if money was no object I would jump at it but at the moment I can't afford that kind of money :grr:

Hello Joflakes.
Yes welcome to Salon Geek!
We're all here to help, and if anyone is untoward to you, don't take no notice. :)

We all start somewhere, sometimes making good decisions, sometimes bad, but what's important is how we go about correcting them in the future.

Yes the CND Complete looks amazing, I'm booking up as the training is meant to be amazing and you get a world recognised qualification at the end, which is just what I want.

Good luck to you. X :)

Hello Joflakes.
Yes welcome to Salon Geek!
We're all here to help, and if anyone is untoward to you, don't take no notice. :)

We all start somewhere, sometimes making good decisions, sometimes bad, but what's important is how we go about correcting them in the future.

Yes the CND Complete looks amazing, I'm booking up as the training is meant to be amazing and you get a world recognised qualification at the end, which is just what I want.

Good luck to you. X :)

Thanks!

I'm jealous, haha.

What would be a good second best? Something a wee bit more affordable?

As a newbie to salon geek I'm pretty sure that these forums are actually run by Cnd? All threads seem very pro Cnd which is obviously great but there are other options out there - and one of them you took!

I am also a uni graduate and in full time employment but I want to pursue beauty because I think I'll love it. I have enrolled on a 4 day acrylic nail course which is an n5 module so as I understand it it will be an add on to nvq level 2. I have also applied for this and a 1 day spray tanning course. All of which are accredited.

Don't be blinded by science. If you are good at what you do and can be insured to work then what's the problem if it's not Cnd?!

That's the way I see it anyway!!

Danielle x

Ps I'm doing my course with a local lady in Kent! Are you from around the Kent area? X

As a newbie to salon geek I'm pretty sure that these forums are actually run by Cnd? All threads seem very pro Cnd which is obviously great but there are other options out there - and one of them you took!

I am also a uni graduate and in full time employment but I want to pursue beauty because I think I'll love it. I have enrolled on a 4 day acrylic nail course which is an n5 module so as I understand it it will be an add on to nvq level 2. I have also applied for this and a 1 day spray tanning course. All of which are accredited.

Don't be blinded by science. If you are good at what you do and can be insured to work then what's the problem if it's not Cnd?!

That's the way I see it anyway!!

Danielle x

True. I don't mind if it is CND or not, as long as I am good and my products are good.

Ps I'm doing my course with a local lady in Kent! Are you from around the Kent area? X

I'm in Canterbury, yes. Who are you doing your training with? You can just PM me the details if you like :wink2:

Just sent a MSG over to you x

If you look at the threads there are loads of different systems and courses mentioned, it is not just a site for CND. However, myself, Floss26 and Lovebeauty14 who have replied to you, are all enrolled or about to enrol on CND complete and there are a few recent threads about the course. We are all nervous, excited and thrilled to be doing it, and enjoying coming onto this forum, as are the other people you will see taking other courses and training in other systems.

Have a read through, it's really interesting and varied and not just CND based :biggrin: xx

If you look at the threads there are loads of different systems and courses mentioned, it is not just a site for CND. However, myself, Floss26 and Lovebeauty14 who have replied to you, are all enrolled or about to enrol on CND complete and there are a few recent threads about the course. We are all nervous, excited and thrilled to be doing it, and enjoying coming onto this forum, as are the other people you will see taking other courses and training in other systems.

Have a read through, it's really interesting and varied and not just CND based :biggrin: xx

Thanks again. I'll have a good poke around the forum. I've been looking lots tonight already and am excited and somewhat overwhelmed! :cool:

Thanks again. I'll have a good poke around the forum. I've been looking lots tonight already and am excited and somewhat overwhelmed! :cool:

It's a whole new world isn't it! :eek:

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask.

Latest posts

Back