Advice on Make Up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyrose

Reaction score
Morning,

I am currently doing a Beauty course part time since Jan, we are about to start learing make up application etc., however we have to buy our own products and I dont want to spend a fortune as we will be using it every week and would rather spend my money on professional make up once I have passed my exams and am working on 'real' clients.

Do you have any advice on what make up is the best quality at the best value? And would you recommend buying all products the same brand or go for different ones. I have used some GOSH products before, just on myself and to me it's nice to apply and lasts, but I'm an novice, does anyone use GOSH products or is it all high end products pro's use? Also, one of the girls in college mentioned something about mac's make up not being as good anymore, does anyone find that?

Thanks in advance!!

try artdeco this is quite reasonable and alot of geeks rate this.

Thanks Samantha, Ill have a look!

Hello wendyrose.
If your budjet would cover GOSH makeup products then i would strongly reccomend useing this brand , they are brilliant. but makesure you get four to six different foundations and im not sure if GOH do a translucent powder, but if they dont then you will need to match up the powders to the foundation aswell. you will need a wide range in light and dark eye shadows, pencils, mascarra E.T.C

other brands i would have a look at are

-Loreal
-Barry M
-Urban Decay
-Too Faced
-Ruby & Millie
-Rimmel
-GOSH

start as you mean to go on you need decent products to give a decent finish! Try screenface/cosmetics a la carte /mac. Products like barry m are good for shadow dust but when it comes to foundation you really get what you pay for. You will also need a good set of brushes screenface do loads of starter kits i would highly reccomend them.

Thanks for your replies!
I know what you mean that I should start as I mean to go on and the quality of the products will be reflected in the results, but I just cant stretch to the products I really want to get just now.

For the moment we have just been asked to get 3 fountations, light med and dark and apparently we can blend to suit skin, sorry like I say I'm a novice at make up at the mo, other than what I know for myself!! We also have to get the other essentials ie, transulant power, concealer, corrector, blush, brozing powder, shawdows, liners etc. So perhaps I should spend more money on the fountations,a good concealer pallet and shawdows for now, get less expensive products for the others for the moment and build up. :rolleyes:

Another question, I'm pretty clueless on brushes too, and I dont want to use animals hair, are synthetic just as good?

what sort of makeup are you being taught?

is it just basic application or wedding, evening, special occasion ?

colleges use SBC cosmetics which are very basic and not the quality you would want to use on paying clients BUT for practicing they do the job.

Don't forget you will need more than one type of product like foundation,concealer, eyeshadow and brushes.
Will your budget cover so many products you might need?

it might be worth buying the kit that is sold to colleges they cost about £35.00 and could save you money to put towards better products once qualified.

:hug:

sorry i started writing this before your last post but got called away.

Last edited:
I have recently completed CIBTAC Aesthetics Beauty Therapy. Our college purchased the Ellisons Make-up kit in a bag although I have to say I was less than impressed!

If you are allowed to choose your own products, then you really are fortunate. We had no choice and had to pay for our kits.

The Bourjois Eye shadows are very reasonably priced and gorgeous and I learned are made by Channel.

Yves Saint Laurent do a Face primer for about £12 to £15 at Boots and a little goes a long way! I really do recommend Clinique Eye primers. They have 3 shades, light, medium and dark. If you purchase the medium, you should find it fairly versatile.

Bear in mind that you will need colour tones to cater for all ethnic skin types. My recommendation is to purchase a variety of different cosmetic brands. Don't just stick to one eg. MAC. Hth.

Well you can just get 2 foundations - 1 pretty dark and 1 very light.
They can be then blended to get a medium and you can use the darker shade to give a sunkissed glow to cheeks (but it really need to be carefully blended).

This can also be done with concealers.

I think its wise to start small and just keep adding to it as and when - I'm still constantly adding to mine.

Screen face have some lovely shadow palettes - they don't come cheap but will be very handy for the future.

hi

i'm not sure if you'll be able to do this. when i was doing my course i didn't get the start up student kit, i was on a tight budget to and couldn't afford to get the whole kit at once. the kit covered everything from your tint kit, basic waxing equipment etc to make up kit.

after the first few weeks at college a lot of the girls that had bought the kit dropped out and were selling off parts that they weren't going to use. so i got a good deal on my make up kit from a girl that had left that i'd kept in touch with.

you might not have girls that have dropped out. but our class started at 21 girls then ended at 7 so there were a lot of spare kits on offer.

it was beauty express our college ordered the kits from Buy SBC Student Kit in Cantilever Case from Beauty Express

The student kit from ArtDeco will provide everything that you will need for college and you can then add to it as and when you need afterwards.
Artdeco Couture - +44 (0)151 421 1234
Their products are a professional brand and they are good to apply and the colours last well.

taff are really helpful and friendly prices are very reasonable too.

Thing is theres no point in practicing with rubbish youll just get frustrated try screen face they do some pallets of eyeshadows neutral spring and something else forgot now but in that you get a 12 shadows per box these will last as you dont need as much as it goes on well and youll find all the colours you need to start off with the student brush kit is very reasonable and the brushes will last for ever if you look after them properly the foundation you can get 4 small sized bottles in a pack so you can custom blend you can also get a pallet with concealers in it once youve got the basics you can gradually build up your kit dont waist your money on rubbish itl cost ya in the long run!!

does the college not supply a kit for you to buy if you wanted to? x

i think that if you are going to work professionally you need to work with a wider range of colours, there is no way u can cater for all your clients by mixing two shades, and concealer is very important to certain skin types and should not really be mixed as the different skin types require very different requirments.
also fero is a very good, affordable range when you are starting out, good luck, xxx

Last edited:
hi

i was just thinking when i was at college i found it easier to use the same kit that everyone else was using. when the lecturer was telling us what to use i could just grab the product she was speaking about and the brush that would go with it

also, some days some of the girls forgot their kit so we'd be passing make up back and forward. if i'd have splashed out on good products i wouldn't want them being passed about the class

Thing is theres no point in practicing with rubbish youll just get frustrated try screen face they do some pallets of eyeshadows neutral spring and something else forgot now but in that you get a 12 shadows per box these will last as you dont need as much as it goes on well and youll find all the colours you need to start off with the student brush kit is very reasonable and the brushes will last for ever if you look after them properly the foundation you can get 4 small sized bottles in a pack so you can custom blend you can also get a pallet with concealers in it once youve got the basics you can gradually build up your kit dont waist your money on rubbish itl cost ya in the long run!!
I must agree here, this is like you are describing some of the contents of my kit lol. I think the other eyeshadow pallette is autumn. You can also get a lip pallette the same. I use a lot of screenface makeup, its really worth having in your kit as it does last especially for bridal work. I use this alongside mac etc. Buy cheap, buy twice. You will save money in the long run by buying decent stuff for your kit from the start. Just buy the basics and a good set of brushes.:) good luck, makeup is such a rewarding thing to do on clients.

Thanks everyone!!
No, the college does not supply the make up kit, we have been asked to get it ourselves and been given a list of products we require, also some recommended brands in certain items, but they are the best of the best - in the tutors opinion, I'm sure everyones opinion is different!

For the moment I will just get what we were advised on the list, and as someone said, keep building for when I go out into the professional world. However it does look like im going to have to stretch the budget a wee bit, like everything else it seems by all your comments that 'you get what you pay for'.

I was really looking forward to starting make up, the amount of money I have to spend on top of college fees just put a dampener on it.

Thanks again for all your replies, oh and if anyone knows if synthetic brushes can be just as good as animal hair please let me know.

Cheers :hug:

Latest posts

Back