Advice on room rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linzilou

Reaction score
I am currently looking to rent a beauty room and have been in negotiations on contract's etc. with a particular hair salon in Middlesbrough. Having reached a point that both parties could agree on, I have now been asked for 4 weeks rental up front (not a problem) however I have also been asked for a £300 deposit!

The room is fairly small with an old salon bed and a tiny sink. I intend to decorate myself as it is also very boring and full of tan overspray.

I was wondering if anyone has ever paid a deposit as well as rent up front? Is this the norm? I know a couple of therapists that are already renting rooms nearby and they have never heard of or paid one?

Some advice would be great as this is all very new to me.

Thanks again xxxx

Any advise would really be appreciated.

Hi, i am currently offering a room and will ask for advance rent, but not a deposit also. They may feel this is to cover for damages or such like should you leave? What do they plan to do with the £ 300 deposit? Seems strange

Thanks for your reply. They haven't actually said, I've been told that it's a company requirement to have some money against the account. Since I posted this yesterday, I've had some advice from a friend who deals with rental commercial properties and she said that she's not come across it on a room rental either.

I think I'm going to start looking for other spaces to rent as getting a little nervous about this particular room now :(.

Trust your instincts! If it feels wrong it usually is ;) you will know the Right one x

Thanks, I will. Thanks for your input :) x

Interesting. I am thinking of renting a space to a hairdresser. I have asked for rent to paid in advance and a small deposit of £50. This is to cover lost keys or damage to my premises etc..., if and when they leave. Of course it will be returned if their are no issues.

I have to say I think £300 is a little excessive.

Just my thoughts! X

That's what I thought. I don't mind if it's £50, however I don't think I will get keys either. I can understand why some places may ask for this but I can't understand where they get the valuation from. X

If you don't mind me asking how much will you be paying? I'm looking to rent my salon out and want to charge a fair price. It would inc water & elec so only bills they would pay is if they want to keep the phone line in

I recently rented a room & paid 2 weeks up front that was it xx

Hi just to let you know I had to pay £300 deposit aswell. I will get it back when I decide to leave aslong as I give a months notice and the room isn't damaged. I also pay £30 a day for renting the room

Hi, I rented a room I did pay £500 deposit and I now have my own saline hich I will also ask for a deposit as you don't know who is coming into your salon as iv paid a lot of money doing the salon out I just want to cover my self I case the rooms damaged or sinks cracked floors damaged you just never know who's honest but I have every intention of giving a fully refunded deposit at the end as long as the rooms looked after and I was happy to pay my deposit when I rented as I understand the person doesn't really know who you are and is trusting you! Just make sure u have a contract stating you will get it refunded xx

Latest posts

Back