Advice on rude, threatening client!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if you all could offer me some advice ....
Had a mother and daughter in law come in to my salon for a set of acrylics with nail art on (of which i undercharged for) anyway they left completely happy. A week later they appeared back in my salon with the mother in law saying she wasn't happy as she had lost a nail. I said oh don't worry it's not a problem I can fix that for you. She responded with well I want you to take them all off and give me a full refund. So I politely responded with im sorry I do not give refunds but if you are really unhappy with them I can soak them off for you and redo them. So she grumbled and muttered that will have to do .... She booked in for a couple days later, the next day I get a call from her saying she can't make this appointment can it be changed so I gave her an appointment for the following day. She never showed up and I assumed she was never coming back. Anyway this afternoon I had a phone call from the daughter in laws mother saying that her nails had grown too much. She had taken advice from the NSS salon down the road and they said her nails shouldn't look like that after a few weeks. I said I recommend all my clients who have acrylics need to rebook 2/3 weeks after the first set for an infill. She said I don't do nails properly because I don't use an electric drill like the NSS Salon and couldn't possibly produce the standard of nail they do with a hand file. (I'm CND TRAINED MASTER ARCHITECT AND MASTER PAINTER) she proceeded to yell at me down the phone saying that one of the following 3 things will happen,
I give a full refund for the full set of acrylics
The daughter in law can come in and I will infill her nails for free
She will be coming in to speak to me face to face and taking it further (small claims court)
By this time my next client has arrived so I offered to phone this woman back later on.
I tried to phone her but no answer!
My response was going to be im not offering anything you had your nails done on 15th September we are now the 14th October you cannot expect an infill for free nor do I control how quickly your nails grow. If this is a problem to you please put it in writing and I shall pass it on to my solicitor.
Is this just me or does everyone have clients like this?! Lol x

Hi everyone,

Had a mother and daughter in law come in to my salon for a set of acrylics with nail art on (of which i undercharged for) anyway they left completely happy. A week later they appeared back in my salon with the mother in law saying she wasn't happy as she had lost a nail. I said oh don't worry it's not a problem I can fix that for you. She responded with well I want you to take them all off and give me a full refund. So I politely responded with im sorry I do not give refunds but if you are really unhappy with them I can soak them off for you and redo them. So she grumbled and muttered that will have to do .... She booked in for a couple days later, the next day I get a call from her saying she can't make this appointment can it be changed so I gave her an appointment for the following day. She never showed up and I assumed she was never coming back. Anyway this afternoon I had a phone call from the daughter in laws mother saying that her nails had grown too much. She had taken advice from the NSS salon down the road and they said her nails shouldn't look like that after a few weeks. I said I recommend all my clients who have acrylics need to rebook 2/3 weeks after the first set for an infill. She said I don't do nails properly because I don't use an electric drill like the NSS Salon and couldn't possibly produce the standard of nail they do with a hand file. (I'm CND TRAINED MASTER ARCHITECT AND MASTER PAINTER) she proceeded to yell at me down the phone saying that one of the following 3 things will happen,
She will be coming in to speak to me face to face and taking it further (small claims court)
By this time my next client has arrived so I offered to phone this woman back later on.
My response was going to be im not offering anything you had your nails done on 15th September we are now the 14th October you cannot expect an infill for free nor do I control how quickly your nails grow. If this is a problem to you please put it in writing and I shall pass it on to my solicitor.

What a nutter!!!!
Tell her to do whatever she feels because a small claims court would laugh in her face!
After 1 week it's not completely unusual to lose 1 nail, it happens she's trying to pull a fast one!
Oh yes of course hand files are completely incompetent that's why they have been in the industry from the start and that's why NSS salons are so well known for good practise..
Take it with a pinch of salt.
Xx

Hi everyone,

One word...chancers!!
Seriously though, I think all therapists/technicians unfortunately do get a client like this every so often. It's horrible, worrying and so flippin frustating as they think they know best when they clearly don't!!
You have handled it correctly in my opinion so far. Do try to call her again with the options you have already decided. Let her try to claim from you... She will get nowhere. I speak from experience having had someone try to claim from me. It was one of the most stressful times in my career but you know what? As awful as it was it made me think, if anyone ever tries that again I know how to handle it because I did it before. I'd also like to add, her claim was not successful.
Stand your ground. Play by the rules. You are the professional, not her.
Good luck ☺️

Silly b*****, I would have laughed in her face.
Let her on, she'll come crawling back when they wreck her nails with their drills. They may look pretty now but they won't be so hot a few months down the line when her own nails are falling off!

Chin up, your client sounds like real nasty piece of work!

I would let your insurance company know ASAP, just inCase she does make a claim.

They will also be able to advise you on what to do next.

I've had a client like this before. All you can do is smile in their smile then scream into your pillow at night lol

I don't know how you nail techs put up with all these horrid clients, seriously! It seems like so many people find it acceptable to be rude and demand discounts and freebies.
So glad im a waxer, after all not many people are going to be horrible to the person who does their Brazilian :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Small claims court lol it won't even get to that it will cost her more to go through with it and she will end up the loser that's if they even take it on. Ppl like this really get to me they not meant to last forever. You should have told her if anyone should be taken to court it should be the nss salon as they clearly aren't trained otherwise they wouldn't give such bad advice in regards to how long acrylic should last between an infill. Hope you sort this nutter out xx

Stand your ground with this one and tell her that all future corresponce needs to go to your insurance company and she should contact you no further. Bet she gives up!

I don't know how you nail techs put up with all these horrid clients, seriously! It seems like so many people find it acceptable to be rude and demand discounts and freebies.
So glad im a waxer, after all not many people are going to be horrible to the person who does their Brazilian :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh my days....that is so funny :lol:

I think you have already done everything possible to try & rectify the situation. I honestly wouldn't worry & like others have said a small claims court would laugh in her face.. What are her reasons can I make a claim because I lost a nail & they grew too fast?? Really what is that women thinking. It's awful isn't it as all the positive feed back we get there's always one negative person that really tries to grind you down. Just think of all them happy clients that love your work!! 😊

Hi everyone,

Your not the only one that has had a bad experience with these types of nutcracker client's.Do stick to your guns hold your ground. Be professional but don't tolerate manipulation. There is alot of clients out there who will walk into the salon and expect you to lower your professional standards by manipulating you. And that I don't tolerate. Believe you me I have told client's bluntly if I have to on how I operate and if they don't like what I am about well the client can do me afavour walk to the salon down the road . Because I know they will be back, in agony sitting at my table In a week or few begging me to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back