Advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.x.kelly

Nailjunkie
Reaction score
Hi I'm currently a hairdresser just finishing my level 3 I'm also self employed. I'm starting to think now that I want more out of life and I don't want to be earning crap money all the time I Am interested in doing a nail tech course or even a beauty course to excite things a bit but I just don't know what to do I've researched courses and moneys a real problem!! I've even looked through my local college n they can't help with costs I just don't know what to so I'm stuck I feel bored and need to do something any suggestions?

If your making crap money your doing something wrong sorry. As it goes people will always have their haircut at least, if they are extra short on a month nails will come second.

Do some extra hair courses, maybe a business course and see what you can be doing extra to be bringing in clients.
Hair isn't always crap money, if I were to be employed I would be expecting well above minimum wage just as I have been paid since 17 in all my jobs, but by far is being self employed the best way to go to be bringing in the money x

I've only bin at the salon I'm at for 8 months and I'm building nicely I make about minimum wage but I just want more i advertise maybe not enough I go on a lot of courses regularly as I know this is important but the salon in general is quiet apart from the boss!! There are over 20 hairdressers in my small town maybe that's why?? I need ideas things have to change! I appreciate your comment and being firm and honest! :)

I've just counted on yell 53 salons in a 1 mile radius of mine and I'm well hidden, you have to go above and beyond to make them come in. Our prices are amazing, we offer different ranges of colours to suit budgets, we go above and beyond with customer service, care and the experience. I doubt if we were just another "generic hairdressers" style salon we would still be here now.
Become a destination, have the clients know your there before they even begin to think about their hair, find the reason they must come to you. X

I really like that very inspirational !! Thanks if you don't mind me asking what are your prices like? X

I really like that very inspirational !! Thanks if you don't mind me asking what are your prices like? X

£15 for a cut and blowdry, £45 for highlights using tigi, £35 for full head colour using vitality £50 full head using illumina. The two ranges work well in that we get low and high earning clients as well as high maintenance clients who can't afford the higher end every 3-4 weeks. X

I've only bin at the salon I'm at for 8 months and I'm building nicely I make about minimum wage but I just want more i advertise maybe not enough I go on a lot of courses regularly as I know this is important but the salon in general is quiet apart from the boss!! There are over 20 hairdressers in my small town maybe that's why?? I need ideas things have to change! I appreciate your comment and being firm and honest! :)

First identify why you're quiet, then fix it. There have always been lots of hairdressers around, competition is nothing new, and if your boss is busy then there is clearly the trade there. The money you're paid reflects the work and effort you put into your job and clients. Nail techs and therapists are usually paid less than hairdressers, so it's not a panacea.

I'm a beauty therapist and there is a lot more money in hair where I am! Hairdressers are making a fortune! Thing is with nail techs they seem to be everywhere now.

I've been incredibly broke in my life ...but I've always paid for haircuts. It's the one thing many people won't stop doing, no matter how broke they are. Nails, waxing, massages, well they'd be the first to go, but hair - never!

PS I'm a massage therapist but I'm speaking as a client.

I agree defiantly more money in hair then Beauty :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

That's great advice guys! I charge £25 cut n blowdry . £60 full heads foils inc cut n finish and £50 for all over colour including cbd do you think these seem fair I'm in Devon! I've looked around and it varies so much I don't know wether it's good or not x

Can you not ring round afew local salons and get a price so you have more of an idea? Like you say prices vary so much unless someone is from Devon its hard to say! Xx

Yip you are a tiny bit cheaper than me, but im in Aberdeen its an expensive city due to the oil, cb 30, full foils +cb 68 ,home salon :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

That's great advice guys! I charge £25 cut n blowdry . £60 full heads foils inc cut n finish and £50 for all over colour including cbd do you think these seem fair I'm in Devon! I've looked around and it varies so much I don't know wether it's good or not x

I'm lymington and prices are pushing 90 - 100 pound for colour cut and finish , different areas differe t prices I suppose , could you not eventually do the na course offer nails When your hair side is quiet ? We all have quiet periods now and again xx

Latest posts

Back