Advice pls. New client with nail trauma

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamper yourself

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Sorry wasn't sure how to explain myself in the title.

I met a young lady the other day who wants to change her tech cuz 2 of her nails came off in less than a week. No nail plate damage so I could tell that them came off without trauma. Anyways she hit one of her other nails still with the tip and caused some damage to the hyponicium (sp?) and lateral nail fold with some bleeding. I advised her to keep it clean and to shorten the nail and to not do her refills before a week has passed to give the nail a chance to heal.

She seemed to like the advice and asked if I would work on her. I said yes but to wait for a week till the nail heals before I do anything. She agreed and asked for an appointment. I told her to give me a call in a week to let me know how her nail healed.

Ok story ended now the question. How can I tell if the nail is healed enough to work on? Was my advice correct? The enhancement is almost all lifted and will need full replacement.

Thanks for all replies.

An

Hi Anita - Happy new year to you!

As long as it's not an open wound - as in bleeding/weeping - and is no longer causing her pain then it should be ok to work on. Just be gentle and make an extra effort with sanitising everything! In fact, if she recoils in agony after you've sprayed her i would assume that it's still got some healing to do and personally i wouldn't carry on. Hth's x

Well I would have made the appointment then and there for a weeks time and taken her number ... I wouldn't have asked her to call me in a week .... strike while the iron is hot . I say! A week is long enough to let something heal under normal circumstances. I probably would have asked her to call in so I could take a look and see if I needed to remove anything to make her more comfortable.

Well I would have made the appointment then and there for a weeks time and taken her number ... I wouldn't have asked her to call me in a week .... strike while the iron is hot . I say! A week is long enough to let something heal under normal circumstances. I probably would have asked her to call in so I could take a look and see if I needed to remove anything to make her more comfortable. Because I hand file I'm worried about filing as I don't want to cause any movement in the healing. What do you think?

Being still new to this I'm still shy about putting myself forward to people. :rolleyes: Plus I was sort of afraid to work on her cuz of the damaged nail. I wanted the geeks expert advice as my instructress is off on holiday. Actually the young lady is the niece of a friend of mine. I will be seeing her tomorrow so I'll take my kit with me just in case she didn't trim the nail and will try to book her an appt for next week.

Thank you both for your advice I really appreciate it. :hug:

Magsham I will keep in mind about the extra sanitization care. It shouldn't be bleeding but by the look of it, it'll probably still be painfull. I'll just have to try to be extra gentle too.

And Gigi next time opportunity knocks I will take your advice and grab the chance.

Latest posts

Back