Advice / Support-bad online review for nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDuchess

Reaction score
Ouch I've just read a really scathing review of a French mani I did on Saturday. I was quite happy with them but client (late 20's/early 30's) had never had French before and was apparently expecting nail tech perfection from a snap request made in a beauty salon. She had booked at the last minute, couldn't decide what colour from our choice of 45 gels and finally asked for French.

Apparently the gel nails have chipped so I feel I must have made a fault in application. And understandably the client is upset and disappointed - especially as I think she is starting a new job today. I really feel bad about it, but I was a bit startled that she has chosen to post an online review absolutely slating my work and saying how rude and brusque I was. I felt the client didn't want to chat - and of course I was concentrating so I might well have been frowning slightly, but I didn't think I was off with her.

Of course it would be the day that we had the previous client arrive 30 mins late with a child in tow and insist that the mistake was ours, so I was stressed out trying to cover 2 appointments and hers wasn't mine - although she wouldn't have known that. And id just read a text from a therapist letting me know that her ex was in intensive care and she was travelling 150 miles to offer support and retrieve distressed child on access visit.

So I may well have been vibrating with tension lol and client noticed that I had a waiting client - and mentioned that in her review, and complained that I was rushing and hurried and that I took 90 minutes which does seem a bit of a contradiction (take off black gel and then do a French)

She has referred to me as "not really a nail tech" but there's no "not really" about it. I'm a therapist who does good nails. I've never needed to explain that we are not nail techs as it quite obvious that we are a beauty salon that does nails. We don't have a nail area and perform services with client sitting comfortably in an armchair while we sit on a mobile seat/mani unit. It's not ideal for French but my nails are good and very competitively priced and I've never had anyone complain about our set up before - but this lady has mentioned this too.

I've commented on her review offering her a redo after work, but it doesn't sound as though she has any intention of coming near us again.

It is horrid when something like this happens, i really feel for you. Can you perhaps ring her and ask her to come back so you can resolve the problem.I would not reply through the internet, you may find if you talk to her, she would come back. It may or may not be something you have done, but with out seeing her you have no way of knowing.Sorry i cant be more help xx

Thanks, I never thought of phoning - don't know why (!). I'll do that tonight. Thanks

It's so disheartening when this happens, but try not to let it damage your confidence.

For every 1 customer who takes the time to go online and write a bad review, there are dozens of perfectly happy customers. They just tend not to be so motivated to go online and write good reviews to balance it out, unfortunately!

Some clients will always complain and try to get something for nothing - keep your head high and keep going :hug:

Hate when this happens. Tell her that you haven't had the chance to rectify and possible mistakes as she hadn't discussed it with you prior to posting a review and that you're sorry she's unsatisfied but as she didn't contact you with her concerns unfortunately you can't do anything about it. People that post ridiculous reviews willy nilly don't realise the damage that they do

Hi Folks,
I'm not a nail tech, but there's a development in the whole of the industry, that has started to concern me.
By all means, if a service has been performed BELOW a reasonable standard, then I would agree, it would be right to try and rectify the problem.
However, increasingly I am hearing stories of regular re-do's, call back's and refunds...Clients with UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION!
Eyelashes do fall out......nail varnish can chip....... A client with their very own armour plated sole, will not, in the space of a 45 minute pedi, have super soft heels FOREVER........
It is our job to HONESTLY advise them, what is possible in the given time, and if it's not possible, we need tell them!
If, as professionals we don't take control, they will have us 're-do' whatever, time and time again.

Hi Folks,
I'm not a nail tech, but there's a development in the whole of the industry, that has started to concern me.
By all means, if a service has been performed BELOW a reasonable standard, then I would agree, it would be right to try and rectify the problem.
However, increasingly I am hearing stories of regular re-do's, call back's and refunds...Clients with UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION!
Eyelashes do fall out......nail varnish can chip....... A client with their very own armour plated sole, will not, in the space of a 45 minute pedi, have super soft heels FOREVER........
It is our job to HONESTLY advise them, what is possible in the given time, and if it's not possible, we need tell them!
If, as professionals we don't take control, they will have us 're-do' whatever, time and time again.

I agree with Red Star. I have a client who wears l&p and they are medium to long length. The.first time she came to me she said she had "removed" the old ones, so I went ahead and did a full set I use OPi Absolute. After that she left sh went back to work (she does house keeping) and a few days later the enhancements bagan to separate from the nail plate. She called me to tell me this as if she had no idea why it had happened, I asked her to come back ans I will redo them for her. I made sure to use extra primer. And once I had finished, she tells me that she doesnt wear gloves to do her work and that lately they are always falling). Ha,ha ! That 's the last time I offer to redo before asking inquiring a bit more on the cause of the complaints.

Nails By Mirely

I think it's unfortunate that your client decided to complain on social media without speaking to you first and giving you the chance to rectify her nails for her, but I guess some people aren't comfortable complaining in person :|

I would suggest for the future though that if you have one client arriving any more than 15 minutes late then they should be made to re-schedule their appointment as it's unfair to make subsequent clients late or feel rushed. It also adds extra pressure on yourself which is unfair.

I agree with Red Star. I have a client who wears l&p and they are medium to long length. The.first time she came to me she said she had "removed" the old ones, so I went ahead and did a full set I use OPi Absolute. After that she left sh went back to work (she does house keeping) and a few days later the enhancements bagan to separate from the nail plate. She called me to tell me this as if she had no idea why it had happened, I asked her to come back ans I will redo them for her. I made sure to use extra primer. And once I had finished, she tells me that she doesnt wear gloves to do her work and that lately they are always falling). Ha,ha ! That 's the last time I offer to redo before asking inquiring a bit more on the cause of the complaints.

Nails By Mirely
It's probably a good idea to discuss a new clients lifestyle and how it may effect their nails during their consultation and again when you go through aftercare advice with them, it would prevent this situation occurring in the first place :)

Latest posts

Back