After training in gel and acrylic, is it common to drop one and focus on the other?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I finished college in june and passed the course. I can do acrylic and gels but overall I feel a lot more confident with gel.

I like how gel looks and I like the reliability of it in that I don't have to worry about mix ratio when a client comes to me with all shapes and sizes of nail. I do like arcylic because it's less expensive and there are so many colours available but if I had to do one over the other then it would probably be gel for me.

I can do good work with acrylic but ideally, I would just like to work more with gel...I feel a lot more confident doing the smile line on all shapes and sizes of nail and when it comes to working on new people, I can see this as very valuable and reassuring for me.

If I just want to offer gel as a self employed person I guess that would be ok but hmmm, if I want to work with someone else would i be best of continuing with the acrylic?

I'm all for keeping my skills up but I'd rather be great all the time with gel rather than inconsistant with acrylic.

How common is it to choose one system over the other this strongly? anyone else done this?

I also do fibreglass lol :)

I learnt gel first and found everyone was asking for acrylic so I then learnt acrylic and ditched the gel as in all honesty I didnt like working with it!

So now I only offer acrylic for ehancements and Gelish for natural nails.

Sent from my U20i using SalonGeek

I only do gel.......but also not trained in acrylics........I have not found this a problem for my buisiness.......better to be really good at one thing than so so for both..........x you also don't want to loose your acrylic skills though.....I think at the end of the day you will know deep down what direction is the best for you.........:hug:

I'm trained and offer acrylic and gel.
I found i had to work hard at perfecting them both and not loosing the skill of either of them as they are very asked after so in order for me to accomodate every client i felt i needed to stick with them both.

x

I trained in gel, acrylic & fibreglass, I only offer acrylic. I decided to offer acrylic after a bit of research, having seen many different makes of gel & acrylic I decided that my favourite was cnd acrylic the most natural looking, so I did a cnd course and I've never looked back! And as jersey rock said, it's hard to be good at both. Don't be a jack of all trades master of none! Maybe do a bit of research into the salons/therapists in your Area, see what they are offering and offer the other to be different.

I learned acrylic then gel and now I only do acrylic :)

I'm trained in both I love doing both of them and I always think it's best to offer both because u may do gels for a while then 4 people could ring for acrylic and you would have to turn them down then loosing money plus client base I literally sat at home every night for 3 months just practiced even attacked my fiancé lol just to get it right I still do it now when I'm practising different things good luck with ur business Hun keep at it xxxx

Latest posts

Back