Age of child starting school in September 2013?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scissorz

Reaction score
Hi geeks I have posted something similar to this before but now I'm confused, what age do kids have to be to start primary school in September 2013? I thought my daughter who will be 3 an a half years by then would be in full time school but apparently not as I am not able to register her yet as she was born in 2010. Does anybody know? :)

A child starts school in the September of the academic year when they turn 5.

Your daughter will start school in 2014.

My daughter turned 4 at the very end of July and started school 5 weeks later, she has friends in her class almost a whole year older who started school already turned 5.. Crazy.

My sister is a September baby, she was 5 a few days after starting school, your daughter will be the same... One of the oldest in her class/year ;)

My little boy started this Sept & he turns 5 in 7 weeks time!! he was doing half days from being 3 x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I have a 2010 baby too and she'll be eligible to start FULLTIME in January 2014 - she'll only just have turned 3!!!

I'm in South Wales though.

A child starts school in the September of the academic year when they turn 5.

Sorry, I don't think that's right. Certainly not anywhere I know. Schools often have January and April intakes as well as September.

My son started school oct 2011 he was still at his preschool when a place became available for the reception year. I think it gets confusing as some schools refer to the reception year and nursery as the same thing and your child can attend 'school' from the age of 4 but legally don't have to be there till age 5.

Sorry, I don't think that's right. Certainly not anywhere I know. Schools often have January and April intakes as well as September.

The schools in my borough in London used to do this but now most are only doing intakes in September. There's been a baby boom lol.

reception age is full time. child to be 5 by august of 2013. so your little one will start sept 2014 full time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Years ago when my older children were at reception age there were termly intakes, they both started in April at 5yro (they're now 23 & 20) then when my 15yro was reception age she began in sept but did half days until Christmas term when she was 5yro.
My 4yro started in September and did two weeks of mornings then full time.

Preschool/nursery take children 2yrs9mo (or later depending on them being that age or older in the sept) - 4yrs (July). They then go into school that next sept of their 5th birthday.
This has been this way for at least 13yrs as I was working in preschools much of that time.

I think the starting age depends on each area, and even that changes from year to year - depending maybe on local funding and LEA regulations throughout the country - each has their own ideas and budgets / birth rates.

My son was born in 2009 and will be 4 in March. I just registered him to start reception in September.

Thanks everyone, my local council website says admissions are only in September in my area and that my daughter is only able to start preschool in September 2013 for 15 hrs a week, then in September 2014 she can start nursery full time, need to change my plans for September now as I was sure she would be able to go to full time nursery then

My son started school just 2 months after he turned 4, at the time I couldn't wait as my nursery fees were a fortune, in those days you didn't get any free hours ! Now he is due to leave school June/July 2013 and he won't even be 16 , way too young and immature to be leaving school, so wish he was in the year below x

My daughter starts September she will be 4 in July so she will be a young one in the year X

I think they have to be 4 my eldest started in the September and was 5 in the October X

Each school will have different ways of handling nursey children so although the website says she is entitled to 15 hours the school may offer her a full time place.

My eldest 2 children went to nursery full time from the age of 3 but my youngest 2 had to go half day every day as there were so many children wanting places.

I asked for a full time place (for the older one of my youngest 2) as I had got onto a course but the school couldn't do it so I had to let my place on the course go and change my plans but it turned out to be for the best as I got onto a better evening course and I got help to start my business earlier than I had planned to :biggrin:, I then had to do another year of half days as they again couldn't offer my youngest a full time place so I was glad that I was self employed and could fit my work around the school hours.

Hi geeks I have posted something similar to this before but now I'm confused, what age do kids have to be to start primary school in September 2013? I thought my daughter who will be 3 an a half years by then would be in full time school but apparently not as I am not able to register her yet as she was born in 2010. Does anybody know? :)

Most nurserys take children from 3 months old up until school age. Playgroups tend to be 2 1/2 years or 2 years 9 months up until school age.

When your child is due to start school you will receive a letter from your local education body (part of council) which will tell you how to apply and have a unique code for you to apply online. You usually receive this in the November before they start, you have to apply by January, will receive your child's place middle of April and then they start in September.

My sons an April 2009 birth, had my letter last month, I've applied and I find out his school the day after his birthday. He then starts in Sept 13.

The way to think about it is school years run Sept to sept. So your child starts the Sept after their 4th bday but the cut off date is 31st august so if baby was born 31st Aug 09 they start school in Sept 13 but if baby was born on or after 1st Sept 09 they won't start until Sept 14.

Most nurserys take children from 3 months old up until school age. Playgroups tend to be 2 1/2 years or 2 years 9 months up until school age.

When your child is due to start school you will receive a letter from your local education body (part of council) which will tell you how to apply and have a unique code for you to apply online. You usually receive this in the November before they start, you have to apply by January, will receive your child's place middle of April and then they start in September.

My sons an April 2009 birth, had my letter last month, I've applied and I find out his school the day after his birthday. He then starts in Sept 13.

The way to think about it is school years run Sept to sept. So your child starts the Sept after their 4th bday but the cut off date is 31st august so if baby was born 31st Aug 09 they start school in Sept 13 but if baby was born on or after 1st Sept 09 they won't start until Sept 14.

Perfectly explained Xx

Latest posts

Back