Air Brush Nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh

Reaction score
I was hoping to help raise some money for the local primary school at their May Fair ... and something happened that caused me to have to call it off!

I have an XL2000 airbrush runining with an XL compressor (sold as a kit at Creative) and have used it on other occasions for body and nail art.

Well, this particular evening, every time I tried to use it (with either paint OR cleaner) the product blew backwards, up from the cup!!

I cleaned, stripped and cleaned again but every time I tried again the same thing happened. The air was coming from the nozzle but the ink (etc) would not leave the nozzle and instead blew up from the cup again.

Before I start worrying about spares etc can anybody help with some experience/advice?

Maybe somebody has had the same problem and can help? Please??

Have you maybe screwed your nut back up too tight or maybe even bent your needle?

I am having a REAL check of it today and will check those. The needle does seem to be fine but the needle locking nut may be a clue. DO you use the same kind of thing ... or does anyone use exactly the same model?

I am having a REAL check of it today and will check those. The needle does seem to be fine but the needle locking nut may be a clue. DO you use the same kind of thing ... or does anyone use exactly the same model?

You say you have stripped the airbrush right down?

What do you use to clean it with at this point?

I use a foaming airbrush cleaner, it's absolutely fantastic stuff! Basically you sprey the whole thing, get right into the insides of the brush.
The foam kind of sizzles away any dried paint that you may have missed. I leave it for a good 15-20 minutes to soak it all up and then give it a good wipe down, (being extremely careful with the needle of course).

I then re assemble it and blast it through with your normal airbrush cleaner.

If there is still a problem after that, check that the needle isn't damaged. It doesn't take much to disrupt it's performance. And also as mentioned before, make sure everything is tightened up ok.

HTH:)

another thing you can do is put some airbrush cleaner into a glass then tilt your airbrush into it and leave it over night. this will loosen any stubborn paint. also the locking nut may be too tight or loose.

I had exactly the same promblem last week i sent it off to millennium in the end and the blasted it through with a machine and replaced the nozel for me
works fine now. they said it was definately clogged and if it happens again leave the nozzles in air brush cleaner overnight and this norml solves the problem.

It's a real pain.

I have spent all afternoon cleaning everything I can see and/or get at and have followed the cleaning procedures to the letter, inlcuding the soaking overnight thing.

Still the paint/water/cleaning fluid blows out of the cup ... a bit like a whale!

I am torn between trying to get help from Creative (er, not our problem) or just buy some spares and go from there. The primary worry is time as I have work to do !! :irked:

Tiger Jay, you say the foam is good? Can you let me have some details about it and/or where I can get it? Thanks.

It could be dried paint in between the nozzle and the nozzle cap which creates a gap in between making the air flow back up the cup or dried paint inside the nozzle blocking paint from properly flowing trough. These two mostley cause paint to bubble up in the cup.

Thanks for that Mieke ... trying that this evening and see how it goes in the morning.

Anyone know a good source of spares? One place sells a few, another sells a different few?

It's a real pain.

Tiger Jay, you say the foam is good? Can you let me have some details about it and/or where I can get it? Thanks.

I get the "Premiair Aerosol Foaming Airbrush Cleaner" from The Airbrush Company. Doesn't cost much so it's worth getting a couple of cans of it.

Here's the site for you.

www.airbrushes.com

Ask them to send you a brochure/price list, I find them very helpful.:)

Sounds like it isclogged with paint. I usually find that the nozzle is clogged for this to happen. I take the nozzle out and gently sweep inside it with a pin and scrape away any dried paint residue. It is amazing what comes out sometimes! I have an airbrush cleaner spray from All things nails which works well.

If the needle is bent or nozzle cracked then I tend to find that the paint splatters out rather than bubbles in the cup. I would give it a good clean especially in the nozzle before you shell out on spare parts.

HTH :hug:

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

I have soaked all the parts and done a comprehensive clean agian this morning but the result is the same :irked:

So, I am in contact with Airbrushes.com now (thanks Tiger Jay) and will let you know the outcome, just in case it is of use to anyone else.

Thanks again, and watch this space.

Now ..... where is that gin ........ :lick:

UPDATE, and the nightmare continues!

The One-Stop-Shop I bought the brush from has closed.
Simair (make the brush) is in liquidation.
Su-Do will only service air brushes that are are used for tanning, which Su-Do tells me they now concentrate on! They did refer me to Su-Do 'Mist'.
Su-Do Mist refer me back to Su-Do!
Two airbrush sites I have tried will repair anything but 'Simair' !!

So it looks as if a new airbrush that I bought just a year ago for £170 is now defunct !?

And people wonder why the beauty genre get a 'here today and gone tomorrow' reputation.

............. and yet the sma model is still on sale !!!! I could scream :-(

UPDATE, and the nightmare continues!

The One-Stop-Shop I bought the brush from has closed.
Simair (make the brush) is in liquidation.
Su-Do will only service air brushes that are are used for tanning, which Su-Do tells me they now concentrate on! They did refer me to Su-Do 'Mist'.
Su-Do Mist refer me back to Su-Do!
Two airbrush sites I have tried will repair anything but 'Simair' !!

So it looks as if a new airbrush that I bought just a year ago for £170 is now defunct !?

And people wonder why the beauty genre get a 'here today and gone tomorrow' reputation.

............. and yet the sma model is still on sale !!!! I could scream :-(

big ol' nightmare.reminds me why i packed up airbrushing, i found it too much faffing about for my liking.

Hiya

When i have had these sorts of probs

NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DO
IT WORKS FOR ME

I used to do airbrush nail art with SU-DO products
some of the paints are a little more difficult to get rid of

metalic are the worst (silver, Gold etc)

keep a bottle of frsh water when you are working
and in between each spray/colour etc clean it through with fresh clean water

if you are avin blocked problems

take off the nozzel and nib that sit in the nozzel

check out this little piece
1. blow down the little hole in the opposite direction to the tiny pin hole
sometimes bits block it
2. put it all back together
flush warm/hot not boiling water through the whole airbrush
i find this shifts alot of sticky paint that the eye can not see
3. if still probs
check out that mini nozzel for fine hair line splits etc

they cost around £17.00 to replace(wise to keep a spare for a later date) as they dont last that long

hope this helps
if not

contact me

p.s// i never use cleaning fluid when tanning...i always flush with warm water and...put my finger over the end so it backfires(that will flussh out any rubbish in the system) then let the air blow through without fluid to dry the airgun

also
Jenx
Advanced Beauty Clinic - Warwickshire

The One-Stop-Shop I bought the brush from has closed

The Creative One stop nail shop ???

Give customer services a call i am sure they will be happy to help xx

Latest posts

Back