Air brushing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil lisa

Reaction score
I cannot decide whether to do a course in airbrushing. A nail bar across the road from me has recently shut and i have a lot of their customers coming in to me asking if i airbrush. I don't want to sound snobby but i feel that airbrushing colourful patterns on the nails looks cheap and tacky and i don't want to be associated with a cheap nail bar like the ones that use these nasty electric files. So not sure if i should just do it and give the clients what they want or stick to my guns and send them to another nail bar. Sorry if i offend anyone by this message i'm afraid its just the way i feel- would be interested to know if anyone agrees or disagrees with me on this one. :idea:

The salon that i have taken over used to offer this service, i don't, i do however offer freehand nail art, this is not as popular, and the clients that want the airbrush designs do go else where.
Hope that answers your Q

I love doing air brush, I want to do a day course with Jakie in Dublin because her work is so classy, but I do understand where you are coming from, the nail bars in my town all do the same sort of air brush work and tacky is the kindest word I can think of to describe their work, but not all air brush is the same and if you look on here you will see that the geeks who do air brush finish with free style art and the combination is stunning, another geek who's work I admire is chocolate's, so I would say yes do it, its a service thats profitable, you obviously have a call for it in your area and come summer you could add temp tattoo's to your menu and thats a great way to pull new nail clients in.

Have a little look at this site.
Marco does some real cute designs with airbrushing, a bit more subtle, and suitable for the every day client.

I do have a couple of clients who love their airbrushing, but they tend to go for the way out stuff, I guess it just comes down to what the client requires.
I don't always particularly like some of the way out stuff I do, but if it's what the client wants , that's what the client gets.

Anyway see what you think.:)

Marco Benito Website

hi ya. Well if business is coming your way I wouldnt turn it down. You can always do some examples and put them in a frame on the wall so they can choose from them. They probably mainly want french done with the airbrush. Ive been doing this for 7 years now, its soooo much quicker, looks nicer etc etc. But be warned, airbrushes can be hard to get right, the only problem ever coming from the cleaning of it. If you dont clean it right after every customer (it only takes a min) then you'll want to smash it! My girls hate them at first then they become their best friends.

Think carefully is my advice.

To set up your airbrush station (which needs to be permanently set up) is not cheap. You need to budget for class, equipment etc at least 700.00PS.

It also takes a good deal of practice not to mention artistic talent to be a good airbrush artist.

The market for airbrushed art is not huge so you if you want to make your money back, you need to apply both colour and French to your clients with it and charge extra.

There are many advantages to polishing with an airbrush. Plain colour is dry instantly, it goes on thinner and it is very quick and easy to do perfect French using an airbrush. It will take you a long time to earn back on your original investment if you only do art designs which take time and which have to be charged out accordingly.

i think geeg is right, u need to think because if you do have clients that have pink and whites then they will not want airbrushing unless its xmas or halloween or something and also some patterns are really detailed and have different colours and are very time consuming if you only have 1 airbrush, so this means u either charge alot or lose money on nails, id stick to hand nail art as most airbrush designs that are wanted imo are just a different style french which can be done with polish and a paint brush dipped in acetone (same theory as airbrush i know but alot easier to correct and cleaner) or flicks with silver and white or some sort of glitter is normally the most popular designs even in the salons that offer airbrush. Its good to be able to do it and offer different services but will it really make a big impact on your clients or stop new clients from coming? good luck with whatever you decide, only you know what your clients want so do whatever is best you think is best for business! xx

I have an airbrush and I do find that Most of my clients are willing to pay that little bit extra for something different on their nails.
I also do handpainted designs and not just dots or flicks but proper flowers etc but sometimes the airbrush can be quicker and what the client is looking for.
I usually charge per colour per nail and if they want all 10 fingers doing then I give a discount. Sometimes they just want it on a ring finger.
I do both types of french, airbrushed and handpainted and I must admit that the airbrush does look a lot crisper and you can do it in other colours rather than white, though I personally prefer handpainted french even if it does take more time than the airbrushed.
HTH
Jen

I love doing air brush, I want to do a day course with Jackie in Dublin because her work is so classy

Awww thanks :o - it would be lovely to meet you if you did manage to hop over here sometime! :hug:

Lisa, it depends on whether the people in your area want it - and if they're coming into you and asking you, then it could be worth having a go. It's not all about wacky designs, a lot of people just want airbrushed french or colour blends - they're the money makers. I have a friend (who I met when I trained her) who only airbrushes 'French Manicures' and she says her kit has paid for itself many times over.

The kits (compressor/airbrush/paints etc) aren't as expensive as they used to be, you can get up and running for well under £200 these days.

Jackie

The kits (compressor/airbrush/paints etc) aren't as expensive as they used to be, you can get up and running for well under £200 these days.

Jackie

Quality Airbrush, good selection of paints, good quality silent compressor cleaning station, spare needle, stencils, cleaning solution etc etc and a class all for under 200.00??

Quality Airbrush, good selection of paints, good quality silent compressor cleaning station, spare needle, stencils, cleaning solution etc etc and a class all for under 200.00??

Ok, I forgot to mention the training (shouldn't have done really since I offer it but don't like people here to think I might be pushing my services every time I reply to a question about airbrushing!) but yes, I have trained people who bought the kits (nothing to do with me BTW, I just found the place on the web - I don't get anything for recommending them) I'm talking about and have been using them for as long as 4 years on a daily basis in salons and mobile with no problems. Of course I always tell them about Iwata equipment which is my own choice but not everyone can afford this initially.

Jackie

Latest posts

Back