Alergic to Kiwi's or Figs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanny

Reaction score
We went out for a Turkish meal last night and I ate some Figs for desert. I felt a kind of burning sensation at the back of my throat but had already eaten the figs. I get the same sensation when I eat Kiwi fruit so I dont eat them anymore. However when we got home, I was violently sick and I can only put it down to the figs as Jackie ate the same as me and she was fine.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them with Figs or Kiwis?

This may help

Kiwi allergy occurs in adults and in children. Like many other allergies to fresh fruits and vegetables, kiwi allergy can take several different forms. In some it appears that their allergy is developed as a result of eating kiwi. In others allergy to kiwi is associated with allergies to pollen or latex. Thus people with birch-pollen allergy can develop kiwi allergy with symptoms comprising local reactions in the mouth and throat with itching and inflammation (called oral allergy syndrome, OAS). Others develop kiwi allergy because of the similarity between the allergens in kiwi and natural rubber latex (e.g. gloves, condoms, balloons) a condition known as the latex-fruit syndrome. Symptoms developed by these individuals comprise generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, vomiting and sometimes life-threatening symptoms. Some individuals can also develop adverse reactions to fig, avocado, banana, chestnut, melon, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hazelnuts, and rye grain.

Some varieties of kiwi (like gold kiwi marketed as Zespri Gold) contain less of the major allergen. However, people allergic to green kiwi can also react to this variety.

Anyone have anything like this happen to them with Kiwis?

Personally I don't eat Kiwis, they're an endangered species down here.

(hanging head in shame, warned everybody my sense of humour was warped)

I don't like either of those fruit.

If I eat kiwis I get a very itchy mouth and throat. It happens with fresh pineapple too.

This may help

Kiwi allergy occurs in adults and in children. Like many other allergies to fresh fruits and vegetables, kiwi allergy can take several different forms. In some it appears that their allergy is developed as a result of eating kiwi. In others allergy to kiwi is associated with allergies to pollen or latex. Thus people with birch-pollen allergy can develop kiwi allergy with symptoms comprising local reactions in the mouth and throat with itching and inflammation (called oral allergy syndrome, OAS). Others develop kiwi allergy because of the similarity between the allergens in kiwi and natural rubber latex (e.g. gloves, condoms, balloons) a condition known as the latex-fruit syndrome. Symptoms developed by these individuals comprise generalised urticaria, abdominal pain, vomiting and sometimes life-threatening symptoms. Some individuals can also develop adverse reactions to fig, avocado, banana, chestnut, melon, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hazelnuts, and rye grain.

Some varieties of kiwi (like gold kiwi marketed as Zespri Gold) contain less of the major allergen. However, people allergic to green kiwi can also react to this variety.

Thanks Lell, I used to be slightly alergic to latex gloves when we used them in work, lips getting puffy, hands itchy, etc. We've since changed over to nitrile and no more probs. Thanks for the info. x

Sheryl, warped sense of humour is good in my book, so long as the kiwis arent harmed of course.

Rouge, you might be alergic to figs as well so. I should have added that when say I was violently sick, I mean throwing up forcefully and toilet troubles too (I wont go into the details with that LOL) he point is that I never get sick, no stomach upsets no matter what I eat so I was totally baffled with this. I'll steer clear of kiwis and figs in future.

Thanks Lell, I used to be slightly alergic to latex gloves when we used them in work, lips getting puffy, hands itchy, etc. We've since changed over to nitrile and no more probs. Thanks for the info. x

Just avoid the things listed from now on and you should be ok :)

Just avoid the things listed from now on and you should be ok :)

What a great thread.At the moment i am off work on ill health suspension, i am currently a Operating Department Practitioner in theatre and suffered a serious anaphylactic reaction to latex. I had been training for 2 years and gradually i became ill severe D+V cramps urticaria (hives) rhinitis, swollen eye lids and it wasnt untill i put 2+2 together i had a strange feeling it was latex. The day i realised i was wearing latex gloves and has taken them off... touched my mouth and my lips swelled!.I went to my Occupational health department only to find out they didnt know i was a member of staff. If they had bothered to give me a pre-employment health check they would have realised i had a banana and kiwi allergy---which even i didnt know made you predisposed to POTENTIALLY developing latex allergy. I have now lost my job and need to carry a epipen.Maybe if i had been given latex free gloves to start with the chances are of me developing the allergy would have been smaller.When ever i eat banana and kiwi's i initialy get itchy gums, thats before i have even swallowed it! then i get the worst stomach cramps followed by sweats, palpitations, thick saliva, swollen throat and low Blood pressure. I totally know how you feel and to be honest i think you need to see your GP ASAP and ask for a rast test, Ige specific latex blood test and a skin prick test. You can not take the risk esp if you need surgery.... the moment the surgeon puts his hands on your body could be dangerous.... esp if your under anaesthesia. I am not trying to scare you but you really need to get some advice. Do You have any reactions to latex(not specifically dermal) but systemic reactions such as sweating, heart racing, D+V swollen throat or wheezing?I too have also tested positive to all tree flower and grass pollens which can also make you susceptable to develpoing this.Hope to hear from other people as this seems to be getting a more common allergyRuthy

My little boy is severly allergic to kiwi along with peanuts and latex. I know and thought I was giving him a nice healthy snack of fruit salad - he went into anaphylatic shock and got rushed into hospital!!!:eek: Its a nightmare having a food allergy!:evil:

Just bumping upAnyone suffered with anything esp geeks who use kiwi/tropical fruit/nuts in their treatments?Ruthy

My better half has a severe kiwi allergy and has escaped death (very scary) once, a long time ago! As far as I know he isn`t affected by anything else and eats nuts with no problem! I will show him this thread later as there is some important stuff here.....interesting thanks xx :eek:

My better half has a severe kiwi allergy and has escaped death (very scary) once, a long time ago! As far as I know he isn`t affected by anything else and eats nuts with no problem! I will show him this thread later as there is some important stuff here.....interesting thanks xx :eek:

It is deffo a consideration esp when yuo do your client cards to see if they are allergic to these fruits etc and also do your products contain traces of these fruits. I remember buying a body scrub from body shop only to realise when i got home that the seed to form the scrub were kiwi seeds oooooerRuth

wow guys. i'm really shocked:eek:
i never knew that this ordinary little fruit could be such a problem for some. you hear about nuts, wheat etc. but i've never heard of this before at all.

Lots of good info here - I wouldn't even have thought about kiwi etc., being used in treatment products, and until I looked it up on the 'net (while Sean was being violently sick upstairs) I didn't know there was a link between things like Figs/Kiwi/Latex/Pollen allergies - you learn something new every day, don't you?

Well Sean is back to his usual self, but I now have a secret weapon to use against him should he p*** me off in the future! :twisted:

Jackie

Lots of good info here - I wouldn't even have thought about kiwi etc., being used in treatment products, and until I looked it up on the 'net (while Sean was being violently sick upstairs) I didn't know there was a link between things like Figs/Kiwi/Latex/Pollen allergies - you learn something new every day, don't you?

Well Sean is back to his usual self, but I now have a secret weapon to use against him should he p*** me off in the future! :twisted:

Jackie

LOL That what the other half says about me!!!ruthy

Latest posts

Back