allergic to fibreglass activator

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontastic

Reaction score
I hope someone might be able to help.

Does anyone suffer from any reaction to using fibreglass activator? I have not really used fg much before just L&P.

I got the trial of backscratchers glass glaze, put it on myself. Then I put a set on a client, in the eve I was really wheezy and coughed all night. :irked: Didnt link this to nails tho until yesterday. When after infilling my own nails the wheezing started again! The problem now is what do I do about infilling my client? Would you soak them off and put L&P back on, I really dont want to use the fg again to react like that.

I had decided that I was gonna try the creative fg Fabric system. Do you think this will happen with this system too?

Sorry bit down at mo as I was excited to have learnt a new service to offer peope. :sad:

Julie

Hi
I too react badly to Backscratcher's and a number of other manufacturer's activators. We had this discussion some months ago on the site and someone said that they all have basically the same ingredients in them - my body doesn't agree. My salon is well ventilated and I don't put my nose too close!

I find that I have no reaction to Nail Order spray activator or NSI (Soft Touch) brush on. When I first started I thought I wouldn't be able to continue as a technician because I got so ill. I am sure that you will also find a system that suits you.

glynis said:
Hi
I too react badly to Backscratcher's and a number of other manufacturer's activators. We had this discussion some months ago on the site and someone said that they all have basically the same ingredients in them - my body doesn't agree. My salon is well ventilated and I don't put my nose too close!

I find that I have no reaction to Nail Order spray activator or NSI (Soft Touch) brush on. When I first started I thought I wouldn't be able to continue as a technician because I got so ill. I am sure that you will also find a system that suits you.

Could it be the Freon in the activator? just a thought!!!! Nailorder do a spray which is freon free!

Amanda

Try useing a well ventilated room see if that makes any difference? I became allergic to backscratchers extreme spray some years ago. Try a company that offer a brush on activater ezflow have a brush on activator and i am fine, i know there are a number of other companys who offer something similair. Let us know how you get on?

Hiya

Nailorder also do a self activating brush on resin (its called club 1)
But do keep us posted!!!

Amanda

glynis said:
Hi

Thanks for replying. Will check out my NSI catalogue for brush on option.

Julie

Lily said:
Hiya

Nailorder also do a self activating brush on resin (its called club 1)
But do keep us posted!!!

Amanda

This sounds a good option. Thanks Lily. Think I will soak off my client due thurs tho. Perhaps I will offer discounted new set to her.

Julie

Whenever I did fibreglass I used to always suffer slightly with the resins as well as the activator but not really enough to be a problem so I never worried about it.
That was until I had a large over exposure episode with a fabric resin (I dropped a bottle and spilt the whole lot) I ended up in hospital that night with breathing problems big style. After that I couldn`t use either resin or activator (of any make) for a long while. Even now I have to be careful when I`m having a play with fellow geeks and if I have to do a full set then I have to wear a vapour mask and a window open as well as extraction.
I hope you work it out but my advice would be to leave it alone for a bit until your body readjusts, or wear a vapour mask. Changing your products may bring the same results whereas if you give your body a rest you may be able to stick with the same products with more careful usage.
Good luck

talontastic said:

Does anyone suffer from any reaction to using fibreglass activator? I have not really used fg much before just L&P.

I got the trial of backscratchers glass glaze, put it on myself. Then I put a set on a client, in the eve I was really wheezy and coughed all night. :irked: Didnt link this to nails tho until yesterday. When after infilling my own nails the wheezing started again! The problem now is what do I do about infilling my client? Would you soak them off and put L&P back on, I really dont want to use the fg again to react like that.

I had decided that I was gonna try the creative fg Fabric system. Do you think this will happen with this system too?

Sorry bit down at mo as I was excited to have learnt a new service to offer peope. :sad:

Julie

The Fabric# system has 2 activators. One is a spray (that you use only once during the whole process and the other is a brush-on activator (for Boost).

The Fabric# system was designed to minimize the use of activator and it does. One spray to cover both hands at the same time is very minimal use of activator and along with the use of a mask (if you need to ) should cause you no problems whatsoever.

There is absolutely no Freon in the Fabric# activator (nor in any other that I know about).

NOte: Freon was banned as an ingredient in activators years ago. If someone is using it in their activator, then they should be reported to the proper authorities.
Trichlorithane 111 was also banned for the same reason as Freon (Environmental damage).

Thanks for your replies, sounds like I am not alone with this. Where would I get the vapour masks from? Just curious, although I think I will steer clear of fg for a while.

Julie

Debs said:
Whenever I did fibreglass I used to always suffer slightly with the resins as well as the activator but not really enough to be a problem so I never worried about it.
That was until I had a large over exposure episode with a fabric resin (I dropped a bottle and spilt the whole lot) I ended up in hospital that night with breathing problems big style. After that I couldn`t use either resin or activator (of any make) for a long while. Even now I have to be careful when I`m having a play with fellow geeks and if I have to do a full set then I have to wear a vapour mask and a window open as well as extraction.
I hope you work it out but my advice would be to leave it alone for a bit until your body readjusts, or wear a vapour mask. Changing your products may bring the same results whereas if you give your body a rest you may be able to stick with the same products with more careful usage.
Good luck

that was a nasty thing to happen to you Debs. Thanks for sharing it. Just shows how dangerous the products we use for nails actually are. I will certainly be much more cautious from now on.

Julie

talontastic said:
that was a nasty thing to happen to you Debs. Thanks for sharing it. Just shows how dangerous the products we use for nails actually are. I will certainly be much more cautious from now on.

Julie

Nail products are no more dangerous/hazardous than any other prodcucts in any other industry when used with understanding and care. Debs overexposed herself .. that is an accident and probably would have had no effect on 99 out of a hunderd people but she was already sensitive to the product which is 99% Acetone (as are all other activators) and we expose ourselves to this product every day in our work. So she had an unusual reaction.

No product is dangerous unless you overexpose yourself to it .... it is up to us not to do this by following manufacturer's instructions regarding correct ventillation etc. If technicians ignore these precautions then they can expect problems.

geeg said:
Nail products are no more dangerous/hazardous than any other prodcucts in any other industry when used with understanding and care. Debs overexposed herself .. that is an accident and probably would have had no effect on 99 out of a hunderd people but she was already sensitive to the product which is 99% Acetone (as are all other activators) and we expose ourselves to this product every day in our work. So she had an unusual reaction.

No product is dangerous unless you overexpose yourself to it .... it is up to us not to do this by following manufacturer's instructions regarding correct ventillation etc. If technicians ignore these precautions then they can expect problems.

Hiya,
I have to say i totally agree here, no nail product is more harmfull than another, its how we use, store, handle and dispose than can be harmfull if procedures are not carried out correctly.

Amanda

geeg said:

I will certainly be wearing a vapour mask when I next have to deal with fibreglass. However I did follow the manufacturers guide lines - I was in a well ventilated room, and I only sprayed the activator twice so I dont think I did anything wrong. Just sensitive lil sole! :o

Mine was an accident pure and simple, it isn`t the only accident I`ve had with resins either. I had a lid that just wouldn`t budge and when it did I flicked resin in my eye causing loss of sight for a few days and an ulcer inside my eyelid.
It just proves to me and should make everyone else aware how much protection we need and providing we take all the necessary precautions we are safe with our products. I`m just a resin nightmare, lol

Im glad this thread come up cos Im also allergic to the resin activator, totally blocks my nose and occasionally makes me wheezy. I try to put all resin on all nails of one hand and then spray them all in one go, seems to reduce reaction slightly. But wanted to bump this back up to ask where the vapour masks come from? I tried a mask from B & Q (dont laugh!) like a decorators mask, but it had no effect at all, still reacted.

talontastic said:

Julie

Hi ya babe,
there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use the Fabric# system .......
You can use the Blast brush on with the build, it works well....... and is perfectly ok to use this way, just not the other way round as in Boost and then the Blast spray, this can cause an exothermic reaction and your clients will have to be peeled of the ceiling...

Just a thought as it is brill and you still can use this system and get maximum results

HTH

Nailsinlondon1 said:
Hi ya babe,
there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use the Fabric# system .......
You can use the Blast brush on with the build, it works well....... and is perfectly ok to use this way, just not the other way round as in Boost and then the Blast spray, this can cause an exothermic reaction and your clients will have to be peeled of the ceiling...

Just a thought as it is brill and you still can use this system and get maximum results

HTH

PMSL :biggrin: Love it, can just see it now - clients clinging to the ceiling! thanks Ruth.

Latest posts

Back