Allergy Q???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
Is it possible that a client can be allergic to one nail product and not a different brand??
Someone I know has used a certain brand of L&P on her own nails and developed an extreme allergic reaction. (She used to be a nail tech btw) but as a birthday gift she asked me to do her a set of nails and she had no problems at all.
Can someone have overexposure issues, and I mean serious issues like massive blisters covering her whole hands etc. from product A yet no problems with product B??
(Don't want to start naming brands here tbh)
I honestly expected her to have issues but nothing.:confused:

ooo how interesting....i have wondered myself if if you are over exposed for a certain length of time (as is everyday ..ish) you can get the symtoms of over exposure without becoming allergic and simply stopping to exposure for a short period of time would allow your immune system fight off the allergy if you know what i mean.
also different products must have different ingredients or various amounts of (as this is what makes them different) so is there a possibility that the product you are using has something missing from the ingredients list of what she was using?? And i suppose this could either be the powder or the monomer...im not sure on that one??

ooo how interesting....i have wondered myself if if you are over exposed for a certain length of time (as is everyday ..ish) you can get the symtoms of over exposure without becoming allergic and simply stopping to exposure for a short period of time would allow your immune system fight off the allergy if you know what i mean.
also different products must have different ingredients or various amounts of (as this is what makes them different) so is there a possibility that the product you are using has something missing from the ingredients list of what she was using?? And i suppose this could either be the powder or the monomer...im not sure on that one??

I just assumed if were allergic to one you would be to all?
Good questions hun x

Well from personal experience I can use a range from a certain brand and get severe reaction but use a different range from the same brand and only get a slight reaction.
The range I have the severe reaction to is the one I have been using long term.
Now I've recently tried 2 completly 'new to me' brands and one of them caused a slight reaction and the other not at all.
This is what i have discoverd by using these different products on myself
I'm not for 1 minute sugesting that I have made any kind of controled scientific experiment but it was interesting findng out :lol:
:hug:

Oh and to answer Sians question, Ive been told by the docs once ou have develped an allergy 'thats it' so to speek, you have it for life, which is a bit of a bummer when it's stuff you have a passion for.:irked:

Well from personal experience I can use a range from a certain brand and get severe reaction but use a different range from the same brand and only get a slight reaction.
The range I have the severe reaction to is the one I have been using long term.
Now I've recently tried 2 completly 'new to me' brands and one of them caused a slight reaction and the other not at all.
This is what i have discoverd by using these different products on myself
I'm not for 1 minute sugesting that I have made any kind of controled scientific experiment but it was interesting findng out :lol:
:hug:

Oh and to answer Sians question, Ive been told by the docs once ou have develped an allergy 'thats it' so to speek, you have it for life, which is a bit of a bummer when it's stuff you have a passion for.:irked:

thats interesting del! do you have to have tests or anything though......i just wondered what is there to say that you definately have an allergy....obviously i know you have had your own probs and the pain you have suffered probably tells you...but i mean more in general. i have heard quite a few times about people (techs) saying im allergic to acrylic/ l+P because they have had a reaction/ redness etc.....but from what i have read and understand these can just be the warning signs of an allergy developing.....and not necessarily mean you ARE allergic......so surely if you stop using it for a while and/or work more cautiously your body's immune system can fight the allergy and stop it setting in
I am in no way medically qualified...they are just questions i am asking to see if it is possible, lol!

right i have just found this link....it explains better what i am trying to say......is it possible that people who think they are allergic simply have 'irritant contact dermatitis' rather than 'allergic contact dermatitis'.
phewww......got out what i wanted to say , lol!!!

Overexposure and Allergic Reaction

Last edited by a moderator:
OK i've read that link, very interesting.
TBH honest I havn't had any tests done to prove that I'm 'allergic' to the nail products I've just taken the word of my doc ( not allways the best idea I know :lol:)
He just said 'you are allergic to the stuff and If you have any sence you'll stop using it'
He also added that I had given my self an allergy for life and if i persisted in using it I could give my self an allergy to palstics in general.
I'm not scientific enough to understand this but my friend, that is, did try explaining it to me :lol: something about acrylic being a plastic and it could trigger a general allergy ?

As for not using the stuff for a period of time, to see if it would de sensetise me, I can honestly say I've not given that a try( a bit difficult when trying to make a living out of the stuff:lol:)

I might just take another visit to the docs to confirm if its irritant as oppsed to allergic contact...you've given me something to think about.
thanks Sian
xx:hug:xx

What i can say for definate is that, if i havn't used a barrier cream on my face, I can't open a bottle of a certain monomer with out getting a reaction on my face due to the vapours...is that an allergy ?

If I dont wear gloves as soon as I enter the salon my hands flare up and start to itch and I know that in 3 days time they will start to dry out in patches become very sore and start to crack.
Now I know I havn't been around the salon painting monomer on everything :lol: so it must be vapours and/or dust.( yes i do clean the place :lol:)

Fantastic thread Judy thanks:hug:

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.....it's certainly a strange one...I was expecting a phone call the next day sceaming get them off me!! But nope nothing happened.

OK i've read that link, very interesting.
TBH honest I havn't had any tests done to prove that I'm 'allergic' to the nail products I've just taken the word of my doc ( not allways the best idea I know :lol:)
He just said 'you are allergic to the stuff and If you have any sence you'll stop using it'
He also added that I had given my self an allergy for life and if i persisted in using it I could give my self an allergy to palstics in general.
I'm not scientific enough to understand this but my friend, that is, did try explaining it to me :lol: something about acrylic being a plastic and it could trigger a general allergy ?

As for not using the stuff for a period of time, to see if it would de sensetise me, I can honestly say I've not given that a try( a bit difficult when trying to make a living out of the stuff:lol:)

I might just take another visit to the docs to confirm if its irritant as oppsed to allergic contact...you've given me something to think about.
thanks Sian
xx:hug:xx

What i can say for definate is that, if i havn't used a barrier cream on my face, I can't open a bottle of a certain monomer with out getting a reaction on my face due to the vapours...is that an allergy ?

If I dont wear gloves as soon as I enter the salon my hands flare up and start to itch and I know that in 3 days time they will start to dry out in patches become very sore and start to crack.
Now I know I havn't been around the salon painting monomer on everything :lol: so it must be vapours and/or dust.( yes i do clean the place :lol:)

Fantastic thread Judy thanks:hug:

It definitely sounds as if you are allergic ... but you are not allergic to a brand or even monomer ..... you are allergic to a chemical in that brand of monomer and just because you are doesn't mean that anyone else will be.

Allergies start with irritation to a specific chemical. You can only know what that may be if you ask for a patch test from the company whose product contains the chemical you are allergic to.

Nopt all monomers contain the same ingredients .. they may share many of the same chemicals but they may also contain some that others do not.

Repeated contact with this ?? chemical is the only way you can become allergic to it. This is why it is so important to understand the chemicals we work with and to keep them on the nails and not your skin.

Your doctor is correct in this case ... once allergic to that specific chemical you will always be allergic to it.

It definitely sounds as if you are allergic ... but you are not allergic to a brand or even monomer ..... you are allergic to a chemical in that brand of monomer and just because you are doesn't mean that anyone else will be.

Allergies start with irritation to a specific chemical. You can only know what that may be if you ask for a patch test from the company whose product contains the chemical you are allergic to.

Nopt all monomers contain the same ingredients .. they may share many of the same chemicals but they may also contain some that others do not.

Repeated contact with this ?? chemical is the only way you can become allergic to it. This is why it is so important to understand the chemicals we work with and to keep them on the nails and not your skin.

Your doctor is correct in this case ... once allergic to that specific chemical you will always be allergic to it.

Thank you Gigi that certianly made more sence then the doc saying ''you are allergic to the stuff fullstop''
Will check the chemical ingredients tomorrow when I get into the salon.

Obviously I have to avoid that particular monomer as much as possible but I learnt a valuble lesson re over exposure.

I can't stress enough to anybody how important it is to be aware of safe working methods..reaction/allergy to OE is not nice, not preety and not easy to live with.

I have no other issues with the brand I have been using,I've been very happy with it, but without giving to much away in the naming of brands it looks like my conversion course is going to have to happen sooner rather than later :lol:

I know for a fact that you can be allergic to one type of monomor and not to the other. I have had a collegue that got allergic to q monomor because of overexposure over many years *whiping wet acrylic away with her thumb etc...* She got herself tested to which chemical component she was allergic to. Now she needs to check on the package if it contains that certain component or not. But now she uses gloves all the time to avoid getting allergic to other chemicals.

Excellent thanks Gigi....I was hoping that would be the answer.
At least now I can explain to my friend the reason. x

Latest posts

Back