Am I asking too much to ask for good customer service from my distributor?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally-mac

Reaction score
Hi
I hope someone can give me some advice on this one. Some time ago I paid deposits for quite a few courses with NSI. I have already completed a number of courses with them and other than finding them a bit abrasive at times, I've been pleased! Anyways, I was involved in quite a serious accident a year ago and phoned to let them know I wouldn't be attending the courses and was worried about losing out. "As long as you've told us that will be fine" I was advised.

Now granted it's been a while but I've been back to work for a good bit now and I e-mailed them to ask if I could either take up the course or transfer the deposit for 1 onto another and then pay the slight difference so I could book on the next date. "All courses must be completed within 6 months of paying your deposit" was the response. I did explain I was involved in an accident and I also asked where exactly this is printed as the courses were booked over the phone and I was not told this and it is also not clear (actually it's not written) on any of the invoices or 'literature' received relating to the courses.

I have e-mailed back to ask where this is made clear as my understanding is legally any policy such as this MUST be made clear to the consumer - is this not correct?

I'm not sure where to go from here as if they don't allow me to take these courses now I have lost out on almost £200. I know it's partly my fault for leaving it so long (the courses were paid for at the end of 2008) however 2009 was mostly a write off for me and I'm clutching to the fact they haven't made this 6 month policy clear.

I don't want to be too pushy as their training academy is very near me so it's great for attending various courses if they are available but I feel a bit put out by them here. I feel as though all they care about is the money rather than education and their reputation as some of the people I deal with there can be bordering on rude (which is why I prefer to deal via e-mail).

Does anyone have any advice or know if I'm right about needing to declare the 6 month policy?

Thanks in advance
Ally xxx

Legally I don't know where you stand on this one and I think it is better to seek some sort of professional advice rather than to get a load of opinions.

Frankly, I think that if the same thing had happened at my old training school (Leeds School of Manicuring), I would have done the same as has happened to you. 2008?? and in 2010 you are wanting to use the money on further courses? That is pushing it a bit to be honest with you. You may just have to 'suck it up' as it is your word against theirs re what they said or didn't say on the phone.

Moral of the story is you should not have 'gone to ground' and disappeared off their radar for 2 years! Really the matter should have been sorted when you informed them that you had had your accident and you should have got your refund then and there. Companies are not and should not be treated like a BANK where you can leave your money on deposit for an indefinite time. The issue is the time span.

I once had a person come into my salon with a crumpled gift voucher for a full set (that had actually been given to someone else) 1 or 2 years after it had been issued .... !!! I said sorry, I cannot honour that after all this time has passed. (Even though it didn't state a time limit on the gift voucher which is an oversight I rectified from then on in). There is a limit! I think this situation is more than part of your responsibility for leaving it so long to get in touch with the company.

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. To be fair though I didn't just fall off the radar for 2 years. A double decker bus crashed into my car leaving me and the car in a very bad way and the company were informed of this but made no indication there was a time limit to it. It's been a long long road to recovery and I've only really been back in the swing of things the past few months which is why I got in touch with them.
I'm not really looking for money back as the course would be with them but felt it was a bit unfair and I was sure illegal of them to claim there are terms of use when these were never outlined.
I do appreciate this is in part my responsibility but I had thought under the cirumstances they may allow some leeway.
Thanks for your advice though

Sorry to hear about your accident, sounds awful!

I've done 3 courses with NSI, and have another to booked, and with all the letter i've received from them confirming the booking etc, it had always stated, If you needed to cancel, you could rebook another date, but it had to be within the 6 months.

HTH.

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me. To be fair though I didn't just fall off the radar for 2 years. A double decker bus crashed into my car leaving me and the car in a very bad way and the company were informed of this but made no indication there was a time limit to it. It's been a long long road to recovery and I've only really been back in the swing of things the past few months which is why I got in touch with them.
I'm not really looking for money back as the course would be with them but felt it was a bit unfair and I was sure illegal of them to claim there are terms of use when these were never outlined.
I do appreciate this is in part my responsibility but I had thought under the cirumstances they may allow some leeway.
Thanks for your advice though

I am very glad to hear that you are recovered now.

Look I completely agree with you re the customer service side of things and YES I have to say that if this happened to a client of ours at S2 (or the Fingertips Centre in the case of Scotland) under the circumstances you have been through, then we would certainly have honoured your deposit and let you use your money for further classes... no question about it.

Your experience certainly shows a lack of any sympathy for your predicament on their part on a personal level.

Here is my advice to you ... I would not speak to 'one of the people' at the company. I would go straight to the top and write to the MD with a letter explaining all the circumstances in this case. Do this, and I'm sure you will get a favourable response from your product provider. If you don't ... you'll have your answer re allot of things about the people you are dealing with. (no refection on NSI at all this situation is nothing to do with NSI ... but rather the individual distributor in your area and how they treat their customers).

Rules may be written and they may have a 6 month policy, but COME ON, there is such a thing as compassion for exceptional circumstances beyond the customer's control. There is such a thing as good customer service and good relations with your customers and just plain decency in a situation like this one.

Hi Ally,

We are sorry to hear about your difficulties in catching up with your training, could you please contact Marie Littlewood (NSI UK Managing Director) at [email protected] or contact us on 0161 788-2860. I have informed her of your predicament and we would like to find a solution as soon as possible.

Ashley x

You see??

Like I said .. go straight to the top. :hug:

I'm sure things will be put straight as quick as lightning now. :D

Hi Ally,

We are sorry to hear about your difficulties in catching up with your training, could you please contact Marie Littlewood (NSI UK Managing Director) at [email protected] or contact us on 0161 788-2860. I have informed her of your predicament and we would like to find a solution as soon as possible.

Ashley x
Geeg is not the Global Goddess for nothing!!!

I actually saw the post and contacted NSI UK immediately. I'm pleased they were so quick to respond to Ally and I hope everything gets worked out. I'm sure it will.

Latest posts

Back