Am I charging too much for L&P - beginner.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddi

Reaction score
Hope people can help me, I finished my training in Acrylic Nails just a few months ago and haven't done that many nails since, and I am desperate to practice and get stuck in as I want to perfect my techniques etc so I can do a good job each and every time I do a set of nails.

So to do this I am obviously not charging a full and proper price as I feel my work is not up to standard yet and I still have a lot of perfecting to do.. but I am hardly getting any clients :|. Is it because I am charging?? I don't really feel I can do this treatment free, because I have to cover costs of products (NSI) and cover petrol costs getting to clients etc.. so I am charging £15.. Is this too much do you think? Should I lower to just £10?

I don't think I am doing too badly at my sets and clients seem happy who I have done, but these have been one offs/going out type of clients with not a lot of money, so haven't been able to re-book regularly etc.. As far as I am aware the nails have been lasting at least 2 weeks before needing infilling (though they have just taken them off themselves grr) Should I charge for infilling or do it for free so I can practice this??

agghh so many questions etc - sorry Geeks. Just getting so disheartened, as I so want to perfect this treatment as I love doing it but cant get the clients to get better, and without getting better I can't get returning clients!! :irked:

Hope people can help me, I finished my training in Acrylic Nails just a few months ago and haven't done that many nails since, and I am desperate to practice and get stuck in as I want to perfect my techniques etc so I can do a good job each and every time I do a set of nails.

So to do this I am obviously not charging a full and proper price as I feel my work is not up to standard yet and I still have a lot of perfecting to do.. but I am hardly getting any clients :|. Is it because I am charging?? I don't really feel I can do this treatment free, because I have to cover costs of products (NSI) and cover petrol costs getting to clients etc.. so I am charging £15.. Is this too much do you think? Should I lower to just £10?

I don't think I am doing too badly at my sets and clients seem happy who I have done, but these have been one offs/going out type of clients with not a lot of money, so haven't been able to re-book regularly etc.. As far as I am aware the nails have been lasting at least 2 weeks before needing infilling (though they have just taken them off themselves grr) Should I charge for infilling or do it for free so I can practice this??

agghh so many questions etc - sorry Geeks. Just getting so disheartened, as I so want to perfect this treatment as I love doing it but cant get the clients to get better, and without getting better I can't get returning clients!! :irked:

Hey!! this is freaky I am in the exact same boat as you, harging £15 and using NSI and thinking the exact same!

Basically I am charging £15 for a full set which I think is fine as I am still learning. My nails are finally lasting with help from geeks, I offer there first infill for free at the mo beacuse I am struggling with infills and don't get many, I see it as learning for me and the longer the nails last on the clients the longer people will say Ooo where id you get your nails done :p

BUT be very very careful to ensure that you clearly tell people that it is a training price and prices will be going up as some people expect you to keep them the same.

Hope that helps.

How are you advertising? You don't need to lower your prices, I charged the same when I was training and got plenty of bookings. :)

Have you looked into getting a Nail Trainer

The Nail Trainer

You can practice to your hearts content :)

Good luck with it...

You can't practice infilling on a nail trainer tho.. and tbh, nothing gives you a proper feel for doing enhancements apart from 'real people'.

I'm still in "training" mode and am only charging £15. It's your products your using that you've paid for and you're doing them a service that you've invested to get trained in. I've only done one person who i didn't charge for and that's only becuase she's my bestest friend and has never had enhancements, nor did she want them, i just forced them on her and she's too nice to say no!! And i was happy to do them for free... but everyone else, i've charged. And will continue to do so....! (whilst stressing the cheap rates are "ONLY WHILST I'M PERFECTING MY SKILL"!!!) :green:

And i'd recommend the nail trainer too! Defo a good investment.

You can't practice infilling on a nail trainer tho.. and tbh, nothing gives you a proper feel for doing enhancements apart from 'real people'.

Agree totally...

Seems a few of us are in the same boat 

I am using NSI and the edge, I am charging £10 but have made sure people know this is just while I am practising and then the price will go up one I'm sure I'm doing everything correctly.

As I am only practising on family and close friends I am looking into getting a nail trainer too. I have till march / April next year till I go mobile so plenty of time.

Look on YouTube for guidance, I was given this advice - and so glad I have looked and will keep doing so till I am 100% sure I'm confident in all systems

Good luck hun xx

Seems a few of us are in the same boat 

I am using NSI and the edge, I am charging £10 but have made sure people know this is just while I am practising and then the price will go up one I'm sure I'm doing everything correctly.

As I am only practising on family and close friends I am looking into getting a nail trainer too. I have till march / April next year till I go mobile so plenty of time.

Look on YouTube for guidance, I was given this advice - and so glad I have looked and will keep doing so till I am 100% sure I'm confident in all systems

Good luck hun xx
Hi, just noticed you're using 2 brands - why is this?

Isn't it confusing for you trying to perfect 2 different mix ratios? Or is one gel & one acrylic? :)

There is an infill tip but I do agree that it will never be as good as a real lifted nail to work on...and let's face it, you will get lifted nails when you are training :)

Have any of you thought of volunteering to work for free in a nail salon in exchange for some experience? Or perhaps finding fellow trainees in your area, so that you could practice on each other? Worth a try...

Thanks for all the replies - glad its not just me!! I always tell people that this is a 'special offer' as I am still practising. I keep wondering if its because I am still learning that it is putting people off -they may be thinking that they do not want to be left with hideous nails haha.. though I hope they are not that bad when I have done them!! :green:

I am just advertising on FB Emily, but only once every so often, I didn't want to seem too desperate (which I am) by pushing it down peoples throats, if you know what I mean.

I keep thinking about trying to do my own to show people - but I'm a bit scared of doing my own in case I don't do a good job! :lol: Now that would be bad advertising! lol.

I will continue to keep charging - like you say I have paid a lot out for products and my training! I think I will offer the 1st infill for free, as I really need to practice this too, and hopefully it will encourage clients to come back - once I get some clients!

Emily - how did you advertise or did you just make family and friends have them first? lol.

Thanks for all the replies - glad its not just me!! I always tell people that this is a 'special offer' as I am still practising. I keep wondering if its because I am still learning that it is putting people off -they may be thinking that they do not want to be left with hideous nails haha.. though I hope they are not that bad when I have done them!! :green:

I am just advertising on FB Emily, but only once every so often, I didn't want to seem too desperate (which I am) by pushing it down peoples throats, if you know what I mean.

I keep thinking about trying to do my own to show people - but I'm a bit scared of doing my own in case I don't do a good job! :lol: Now that would be bad advertising! lol.

I will continue to keep charging - like you say I have paid a lot out for products and my training! I think I will offer the 1st infill for free, as I really need to practice this too, and hopefully it will encourage clients to come back - once I get some clients!

Emily - how did you advertise or did you just make family and friends have them first? lol.

Ah...I took it for granted that you are doing your own nails. I think it is essential to do your own nails, for practice, to see how it feels, to see how your work lasts, to showcase your skills...I could go on...

I don't mean to sound horrible so please don't take it that way, but if you are too scared to do your own nails why would you expect someone to let you loose on theirs :lol:.

I started with spray tanning, just as a 'hobby' really to pay my friend back for the machine (didn't realise at the time I needed training, insurance etc) and sent a message around my Facebook friends, which at the time were friends, not clients.

My original offer was 1 tan for £10 or 2 for £15 which was for either 1 person to pay £10 the first time and £5 the second or 2 come together.

This worked really well as it meant you were either getting repeat custom OR new clients.

Once I started my nail training I asked my tanning clients to come into college for their nails doing, they were willing to pay the £13 fee to college - they would leave the odd comments on my Facebook so people knew whether the nails were good or not.

Word of mouth got around about the tans & people started wanting nails as well - it literally was only really through Facebook & word of mouth though. I have always fit people in, even if it was later than I wanted them to be at night, the busier I've got the better my hours have become but to get to that point I put in a lot of hard work & many unsociable hours - it doesn't come easy! Have you got cards that you can hand out to each client, then also do a refer a friend scheme? :)

Completely agree with the above poster, you should be doing your own nails - if you don't have nice nails yourself, why would anyone else ask you?

I often do something fancy on my own that I don't necessarily like just because it draws attention to them and you'll find even at checkouts & the local shop you'll have people ask about them.

Not taken offence - don't worry. I didn't mean that I am worried that I will do an awful job. I meant as in putting the products onto my right hand with my left hand (if you know what I mean) as I use my right hand to hold the brush, so it will feel a bit odd using my left hand..

But you are right!! I must at least have a go and do my own nails. Thank you for your comments, they have been helpful.

Thanks Emily, Refer a friend is a good idea, I really don't know why I have not done this! What sort of incentives do you/would you offer for people to refer friends?

thanks for your replies - its given me something to think about and I feel a bit better knowing its not just me! And am definitely going to be doing my own nails from now on!

Completely agree with the above poster, you should be doing your own nails - if you don't have nice nails yourself, why would anyone else ask you?

This is so true and so blooming obvious! I really am a derr brain lol.. Even I notice peoples nails and ask them who did them!! Doh!!

Thanks guys! x

Thanks Emily, Refer a friend is a good idea, I really don't know why I have not done this! What sort of incentives do you/would you offer for people to refer friends?
I did a %age off their next treatment if they referred a friend, also you could do 5th treatment gives you % off. :)

Hi, just noticed you're using 2 brands - why is this?

Isn't it confusing for you trying to perfect 2 different mix ratios? Or is one gel & one acrylic? :)

I was given one brand and brought the other. One is gel one is acrylic unsure on which brand I will use so trying both xx

I never charged a lower rate when i was training ;) I made sure that i portrayed confidence in my work, I practiced and practiced like mad ( i did have a few select models who i worked on for product cost only also but bless they had new nails every week without fail and were so giving of their time and let me do anything i wanted! )

Latest posts

Back