Am I entitled to dissmiss her?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcDev71

Reaction score
We took on a girl, part time, who let us believe she was experienced and would bring a column to our small salon, however it soon became clear that her experience was not much after she destroyed a regular clients hair (and then hid out the back until our other staff done the best they could to smooth things over) with hind sight we should have got rid of then, however we said we would continue with her and agreed she would be introduced as our junior stylist and her trial period would start again, since then nobody has rebooked wityh her and our manager has expressed major concerns with her ability as a hairdresser, Am I within my rights to dissmiss her?

Absolutely yes, it is your reputation as a salon she will damage.

Also if she misled you/lied about her experience then that is another reason to let her go.

All the evidence is there, trashed haircuts, manager advising you she is not up to it and no one rebooking.

I guess you know the answer and maybe just need to hear it from folks not involved in the situation.

It's never easy letting someone go but you can do it kindly and advise her she needs to go and get more education or just tell her how it is and she is not upto it but I always find the "nicer" approach makes it easier for all involved and softens what will be a blow for the stylist. In this situation I am sure she will be waiting in it really.

Good luck.

Document this down as 'gross misconduct'. You have a few reasons that with warnings could lead to dismissal, but certain ones are grounds for immediate termination. Also look back to what she claimed her experience entails, as not filling her column right away is a weak stand, cause there are too many factors that could affect that.

please tell me you trade tested her?

Thanks for the response guys,
Yes we did trade test her and what she done was indeed acceptable, hence she was given a trial period to proove herself, which sadly she has not, her trial period (90 days) finishes end of this week, just want to make sure we are okay to dismiss as we are aware of all the red tape with regards to letting somone go.

You can dismiss up to a year into employment for any reason as long as it is not racial, sexual, age etc discrimination.

Just explain it hasnt worked out like what you had hoped and you will not be able to offer her work beyond the trial period.

XX

If she is not thru with her probationary period, no reasonable causes are needed.:green: Buonus to you, let her go.

If she is in her trial period and hasn't met your standards then you do not have to keep her on. I hope that all the things she has done wrong have been documented and wonder if you gave her any written warnings just in case she tries to take you to a tribunal. Do you have a contract in place to say that her trial period is 90 days and what would happen if she didn't pass this trial period?

yes you can dismiss her with immediate effect as this falls under gross misconduct!

yes you can dismiss her with immediate effect as this falls under gross misconduct!

It's terrible giving a client a bad hair cut but I don't think it falls under gross misconduct category, especially as the other staff managed to rectify it. It would be something more serious to be classified as g.m. Definitely don't keep her on though.

You dont have to give a specific reason at this stage, just that you will not keep her on after her trial period ends. If she argues or insists, say her work is not consistantly up to a professional standard. No comeback on you at all for that. Do it sooner rather than later though.

lying in an interview is gross misconduct!
It's terrible giving a client a bad hair cut but I don't think it falls under gross misconduct category, especially as the other staff managed to rectify it. It would be something more serious to be classified as g.m. Definitely don't keep her on though.

the thing is if you pinpoint something that she is being dismissed for it could come back to bite you int he butt

so if you just say we regret to say we wont be able to keep you on after the probationary period then it covers you.

Latest posts

Back