Am I not charging enough? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise88

Reaction score
Hi ladies I'm new on here, and was wondering if anyone can help?
I've been told by loads of people I'm not charging enough for nails, I'm working constantly and at the end of the week just don't seem to be earning more then minimum wage. What does everyone charge for gel extensions, gel overlay, cnd shellac fingers and toes, and also rockstar? Should I charge for removals?

Hi I am still training but have been looking at prices today for when I go mobile. The going rate for shellac in Essex is £20 although I know in some areas where there is a lot of competition people are doing £15 and even £10 shellac which surely after tax, products and petrol costs etc makes it not really worth it??

Hi Denise,

Have a google for local salons, & mobile services. They can vary greatly depending on where you are, & there will be the odd OMG thats cheap so ignore their pricelist.

But 100% you should be charging for removal! Even if it is incorporated in your prices... Example, if you charge £20 for shellac & £5 for removal your price could be £25 & free removal.

Try to charge your worth, you may loose a few clients BUT you'd make their money back up from your clients, so you'd work less, use less product & still earn the same (if not more :)) & still have time for more clients!

Xx

Thanks for reply, I've been charging £15 and that's for shellac with nail art and rockstar plus removal, I did a set of fingers and toes afew weeks ago and charged £25 for both with nail art and it took me 3 hours after taking out my product it just dint seem worth giving my Saturday up to do it. So that's when I knew I was doing something wrong. I've only been charging £15 for gel extensions which take me 2 hours and they have been charging just £10 for Infills. It's mo wonder why I'm working constantly and not earning much. Does anyone know what the going rate is for gel extensions? Is it more then acrylic? Ill try find some local salons but there is only 2 in town and neither do gel extensions. They do shellac but that's £25 with no nail art or rockstar.

You really need to check your local salon (search mobile & home salons if there arent many near you) my nearest salon charges £49.99 for Bio gel extentions. What gel do you use?

In my opinion £20+ is about right for shellac. French-add on £2. Nail art well that depends on what you are doing, anything from 50p per nail, rockstar-whole hand? Maybe £5+. Toes-same as hands £20! Removal £5. If there are only a few salons about, charge the same £25, as they cant get it cheaper!

If you have recently qualified, & have just been gaining experience then at least your prices have covered your products. But you need to make money to cover your time aswell.

Re do your price list ASAP id be VERY surprised if you made min wage on your gel extensions 2 hours, plus cost of product for £15 doesnt cover it! Xx

Last edited:
I charge £35 for a full set of gel extensions and £20 for a full set of gelish. This is with no nail art. If they want gems I do 50p per finger or £1 on toes (you tend to use more diamonds on toes).

Hope this helps xxx

It definitely helps me work out what I should be charging. I've been doing nails 8 years but on and off for friends and family so never really charged them anything, but this year I started my own home based salon and paid out nearly £3000 to set it all up and for all my new kit and shellac. I use NSI uv gel, its a buff off gel. I'm going to start increasing my prices slowly so I don't lose all my clientele hopefully my putting my gel extension up to £20 and Infills £15 I can start increasing. Think with the shellac I can afford to keep them at £15 just for a plain colour and tell the client glitter and nail art is extra. I've had a look at the per 2 salons in town, one of them does only silk and its £49 for just a French no nail art the other salon only does shellac which is £25 for either fingers or toes. I've also looked up afew mobile nail ladies who are charging from £15 for gel polish or shellac and £28 for acrylic or gel extensions. It's been so much of an eye opener in the last year to realise that there is a lot of people competing on the cheapest price. When I did my nail course 8 years ago there wasn't many nail bars or any of the shellac or even nail art, it was mainly just acrylic or silk nails starting around £30+ slowly but surely hoping to increase them so I can start making some profit and start earning a good wage. Thanks for advise ladies xx

It definitely helps me work out what I should be charging. I've been doing nails 8 years but on and off for friends and family so never really charged them anything, but this year I started my own home based salon and paid out nearly £3000 to set it all up and for all my new kit and shellac. I use NSI uv gel, its a buff off gel. I'm going to start increasing my prices slowly so I don't lose all my clientele hopefully my putting my gel extension up to £20 and Infills £15 I can start increasing. Think with the shellac I can afford to keep them at £15 just for a plain colour and tell the client glitter and nail art is extra. I've had a look at the per 2 salons in town, one of them does only silk and its £49 for just a French no nail art the other salon only does shellac which is £25 for either fingers or toes. I've also looked up afew mobile nail ladies who are charging from £15 for gel polish or shellac and £28 for acrylic or gel extensions. It's been so much of an eye opener in the last year to realise that there is a lot of people competing on the cheapest price. When I did my nail course 8 years ago there wasn't many nail bars or any of the shellac or even nail art, it was mainly just acrylic or silk nails starting around £30+ slowly but surely hoping to increase them so I can start making some profit and start earning a good wage. Thanks for advise ladies xx

I'm sorry, I'm just heading out and don't have time for a full post - it's a nightmare on my phone! - bu I jist wanted to say PLEASE do not compete solely on price.

You're using a good product and if you end up in a pricewar with ever decreasing prices, then there can only ever be one winner. And it won't be you.

Rather, compete on quality, compete on value - value is perceived. If you go to a salon and have nails done for £15, fine. If you go to another salon where they charge a few pounds more but offer you teas, play some (royalty free) music in the background, spritz the room with a little scent and treat them like a princess (as all clients should be) then guess who the majority will be coming back to. It will cost you pence in real terms, but will add lots of value to your treatments - and it will make you stand out :)

Latest posts

Back