Am I qualified? Please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEextensions

Reaction score
I've recently done a course in hair extensions at a salon. I have just contacted hair planet to get a trade account and sent my certificate to them and I got this reply when they refused me a trade account and I asked why.

"It would need to be a course with an industry accreditation such as Habia,
Babtec, City and Guilds etc as this is what you would require for insurance
purposes."

So it's made me wonder if I'm even qualified. I have managed to get insured but they didn't ask for my certificates.

Would really appreciate some help in this.

Hi basically your not qualified on paper? When doing courses you need to make sure the course is accredited which means it's recognised as a qualification and the course you have been isn't, did they salon tell you it was accredited and that you could gain insurance? Xx

I've recently done a course in hair extensions at a salon. I have just contacted hair planet to get a trade account and sent my certificate to them and I got this reply when they refused me a trade account and I asked why.

"It would need to be a course with an industry accreditation such as Habia,
Babtec, City and Guilds etc as this is what you would require for insurance
purposes."

So it's made me wonder if I'm even qualified. I have managed to get insured but they didn't ask for my certificates.

Would really appreciate some help in this.

Does your certificate state anywhere that it's accredited? It will have another logo stating company somewhere on it.
I also think that your insurance will not validate until they have seen your qualification / certificate.

Thanks for the reply, yes they did tell me I could get insured and even recommended insurance companies and yes said they were fully qualified to teach.

Is there anything I can do about this? Surely it's wrong to take someone's money for a course if your not even accredited to teach?

Does your certificate state anywhere that it's accredited? It will have another logo stating company somewhere on it.
I also think that your insurance will not validate until they have seen your qualification / certificate.

It doesn't know it just says I've qualified at that salon.

Unfortunately sounds like they have misled you. If it's not accredited then you are unable to gain insurance. Do you have any previous qualifications with in this area?

Unfortunately sounds like they have misled you. If it's not accredited then you are unable to gain insurance. Do you have any previous qualifications with in this area?

No none at all, does anyone know if there's anything I can do about it? Or are they not actually doing anything wrong and it's my responsibility as I didn't check they were accredited?

No none at all, does anyone know if there's anything I can do about it? Or are they not actually doing anything wrong and it's my responsibility as I didn't check they were accredited?

If they told you it was accredited I would approach with a letter stating this & ask for a full refund because they lied & miss sold a product. If they don't respond go to trading standards for advise & then if need be go higher you can. Good luck

Thank you :) I don't know if they told me they were accredited but she said she had all the certificates and with me being completely new to all this didn't even know they had to be accredited. I'll call trading standards anyway though and explain it all.

Thank you for all your help!

I think the first thing to do is contact the salon who trained you nd see what they have to say

I would contact the insurance companies they told you about and see if they can insure you even tho it was not an accredited course.

I'd call the company you say have insured you first and find out if you are ACTUALLY insured or not. Then have a look at your certificate and see if it says on there anywhere. I would then ring the salon that you trained at for clarification and complain.

From what you have said so far - I think they probably haven't told you that they are accredited - they have probably told you will be qualified by that salon and you have taken this to mean that you are fully qualified to industry standards via a legitimate body not knowing any better. I'm sorry to sound harsh - but did you do any research before you decided to do this course to look into what is needed within the industry at all?!

I don't think trading standards or this company will be able to rectify this for you - as ultimately it was your responsibility to research the market and industry before deciding to train and to double check that the company wasn't a scam. I would be very surprised if you managed to get valid insurance or your money back.

I sincerely hope I am wrong - but it looks to me like you may be out of pocket. =[

I believe the course could be accredited by an insurance company without being accredited by habia, babtec or city and guilds. Id check it out. I wonder just how many of the courses are actually accredited by habia since they tightened up the rules a while ago....probably very few.

Id check it out with your insurance company first

here is the link to the courses accredited by habia...as you can see there are very few and none of the usual suspects are on it.

CPD - Home

I checked with my insurance which is Swindon and they said I am definitely insured.

Does anyone else find that the courses that are listed are quite limited? There is only 3 on there from what I could see.

I noticed easilocks are not on the habia accredited list, is that correct? Also fake bake tanning?

I checked with my insurance which is Swindon and they said I am definitely insured.

Does anyone else find that the courses that are listed are quite limited? There is only 3 on there from what I could see.

I noticed easilocks are not on the habia accredited list, is that correct? Also fake bake tanning?

Oh dear!
I find it worrying that they didn't ask for your certificates!!!
I am insured with ABT and I gave to send them a copy of every single certificate before it will be added to my treatment certificate!
How can the insurance company insure you without seeing that you are qualified?!? You could be just saying that for all they know.

His you get it sorted soon Hun xx

Oh dear!
I find it worrying that they didn't ask for your certificates!!!
I am insured with ABT and I gave to send them a copy of every single certificate before it will be added to my treatment certificate!
How can the insurance company insure you without seeing that you are qualified?!? You could be just saying that for all they know.

His you get it sorted soon Hun xx

I'm with Salon Gold and have never sent certificates in. I even queried it as I thought it was odd. If there was a claim THEN they would ask to see them... No certificates would invalidate your claim and they wouldn't pay out. I'm thinking of changing on my renewal date because of this.

Latest posts

Back