Am I the only newbie not fully booked?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
In fact yesterday I did my last booking this year (unless someone calls soon) :lol:

I am VERY new only started in November and I haven't actually done any advertising other than setting up my Facebook page yet so it's my own fault but I'm very jealous when I read about all of you guys who are fully booked. That's going to be me next year!

2013 will be the year I get more training under my belt so I can offer more than just Shellac/Gelish and spray tans and learnign to drive so I can do mobile as well. I'm going to really focus on getting my name out there. Got some flyers ready to go (just need to wait until I'm finished my eyelash extension case studies and have my insurance in place for that). Been working on my website trying to get my head around SEO and get myself bumped up the listings too.

I can't wait to be where everyone else is- hopefully busy enough to quit my IT work altogether!

No Hun, I only started fully start of December but only had 2 bookings for spray tans! Never mind! Like you say hopefully 2013 will be the newbies year! I'm planning on totally concentrating on my business next year and hopefully next Christmas will be rushed off my feet!! Xx

This is my second year in the industry (this is my only job)

Last year I had a few appointments on the 22nd, a full day on the 23rd (two of which didnt even turn up - learnt to take deposits that year!) and morning of the 24th. It was more than I'd had before but it's better this years

To talk in money terms last year - Christmas week I took £270 and this year I'm taking around £400. It's only a fraction of what others are taking but I'm happy as I work in a home
salon and I can see the difference this year

x

Don't let it get you down! Everyone starts somewhere, and to be fair this is a really hard year anyway. Most people have waited to get things done or decided to not have things at all so they can get presents. That with higher gas, electric and other factors is making people more cautious.
You have all of next year to build up a client list and use the January slump to think up amazing ideas to promote yourself xoxo

Don't let it get you down! Everyone starts somewhere, and to be fair this is a really hard year anyway. Most people have waited to get things done or decided to not have things at all so they can get presents. That with higher gas, electric and other factors is making people more cautious.
You have all of next year to build up a client list and use the January slump to think up amazing ideas to promote yourself xoxo

January slump? I'm busy!

Logically I knew I wouldn't be busy this year considering how new I am and the lack of advertising (I'm a home salon too so no passing footfall or anything).

Hopefully with having a whole year to build up the client list before next Christmas this time next year will be very different.

Think I need to offer some superduper cheap tans in January and February though or my solution is going to have to be chucked with only a couple of tans out of it because the 6 month shelf life is coming up:irked: Note to self: buy smaller bottles in future until the business takes off :lol:

I'm relatively new aswell I qualified from college in June and iv had my quiet weeks and jam packed weeks iv been doing some special offers on Facebook as its free advertising and only costs me my time, I have spent a lot of time advertising on all the groups within my local area at first it's hard but then you will also get your name spread around which is good iv had people from Poole asking for nails but I'm not based there so can't book them in. Do as much free advertising as possible it's worked for me iv been fully booked for nails for the past 2 months with the odd time off or now show client xxx

I am in exactly the same boat. I stopped one of the mums up the school this morning who owns her own salon and she was really nice and gave me a little business advice. She made me feel loads better.
I started my business November 6th and I had higher expectaions than the reality I am facing now. I have hardly any clients comming in its been hard and I have beaten my self up over it. I haven't markted myself properly flyers on the pc and face book. I am learning through my mistakes though which is good. I wish you all the best.xx

Good luck to all the other newbies for 2013. I knew I wouldn't be busy but there's always a little part of you deep inside that hopes you'll magically become an overnight success without any effort :lol:

Sadly not though.

I set up as a Foot Health Practitioner 4 years ago, qualified as a holistic therapist two years ago and in beauty this last June. I have regular foot care and holistic clients mobile, but have spent the last four or five months getting practice and my home salon decorated and set up. Launched the home salon/beauty side of the business a few weeks ago. Was doing loads of facebook advertising, had a website done ...... was working last weekend, my mother-in-law babysat, the kids fed my dog chocolate and my dog died on Sunday night. Absolutely gutted. My hearts just not in it at the moment so just doing my regulars and finish them tomorrow. Thankfully, I've not really had much of a response from my facebook advertising. But, like everybody else, I've got plans to make this work. I've spent to much time and money for it not to.

Happy Christmas

I too set up in November and have been very slow... I have done my last treatments til new year (unless I get any requests before then) I didn't expect to be busy as any advertising on local notice boards have been removed ~culprit yet to be discovered..Grrr and I find Facebook doesn't generate new business... However the foundations are well and truly laid and 2013 is my year to build up a bigger clientele...

Happy Christmas all... And best wishes for a prosperous new year...x

Hi

No you're not the only one, i set up my website end of Sept but did drag my heels on flyers etc due to family bereavement, i'm a home salon as well, just goes to show that a website alone is not enough, but i know it will be better this time next year!

GracefulH&B very sorry about your dog, that must be awful for you, i know chocolate is bad for dogs but didn't think it could be that bad xx

Enjoy the peace this year as next year we will all be busy! xx

hiya, dont worry i started just before xmas last year and thought i would be really busy, had a few clients but nothing major.....this year i havent stopped!

most people booked up weeks ago planning ahead and obviously more people knew that i was here this year so had lots of last minute ones too and people buying vouchers etc. just know that in a years time you will be far busier but it takes time to establish a new business ( if it makes you feel any better i am so run down from this week im really not feeling well at all!)

I've been busier than ever, opened salon sept however have worked in area for 2 years prior home salon and one day week mobile. Took $1000 last week mainly massage. During winter home salon was getting 3 massages for weeks, definitely makes a difference being in salon and in people's eyes. I do some advertising but mostly word of mouth clients for me.

Hiya,

It's the same for me really. I qualified in June but only really got my business going in Sept. I'm pleased about how busy Dec has been, but could definitely have been busier. Very much looking forward to seeing how it develops over the next year! Lots more hard work, but I love it! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I'm the same sort of, starting renting space in my first salon on 27th Nov, fairly quiet for the first 3 weeks & this week, busy last 2 days, 5 clients Thursday & 6 yesterday, but 2 today & 1 of those was my mum, I'm in 7-2 Christmas eve & got 1 booking !!

I've newly opened in 1st week of Dec this year.

Home salon all set up to go, but no customers! 😞

Had a mate who came 2 weeks ago.
Got an appointment tomorrow evening & one Monday morning.

As you mentioned on one of my posts souz you started last year December and it was the same, very quite, as people already book their appointment for dec in nov.
Maybe wrong time to start.

I've set up fb page ages ago, websites gone live 2 weeks ago.Done leaflet drops around town. Word of mouth at work.

I'm just concentrating on how to market and advertise in new year, not going to get disappointed because I'm not busy right now.
Spent far too much money and given up my time to let it get me down.

The thread on here about "more ways to promote your business" by Lynne has been so helpful to me. I've registered free on all the things mentioned on there.

For new year I'm sending all the local schools introduction letters, and leaflets to keep in staff rooms.
My friends who have children who go to school have been helping to give my leaflets out when they go drop/pick up their kids.
Doing leaflet drop in my area.
Hubby's going to post my leaflets at his work place. Going to contact local gyms.

Don't give up! That's my motto.
Rome wasn't built in a day 😃

Good luck to all of you who are in the same situation as me, and don't give up!

All the best for 2013 😃

I just wanna say thanks to you all. I feel a little better about things now :).

Just been really stitched up by my friend who i set up a mobile business with a few months ago. Long story but she got everything so I am having to start again :( never really got off the ground tbh. She wasn't motivated and had no confidence I should have known it was doomed when she told me that she didn't like driving lol.

So starting again with nothing other than a couple of clients and a few bits I had from college. Feeling very demotivated ... kept my website which I did completely (she cant use a computer either) and kept my fb page. Advertised on gumtree, freeads & friday ad.

I didn't grow up in my area and don't have a lot of friends so finding it hard to network etc

needing to forget what my ex friend is doing and stop being bitter about it an move on but its hard.

Keeping my fingers crossed for 2013 - for all xxxx

Just wondering how you all got on now another year has passed?

I'm new to self employment and I'm not fully booked but I'm cool with that because that's what I was expecting.

I'm not a pessimist but I feel better for being realistic about what I expect from my self employed venture in that I am working in a saturated market in an already competitive area. I've chosen to be kind to myself by taking pride in small successes even if that is one regular client whether that be family, friends or a new person.

Celebrate the small successes and don't feel bad and blame yourself for what isn't happening.

For what it's worth I'm a very part time business. If I needed a reliable full time type income then this probably wouldn't work so well for me. There are people who are fully booked more often than not but personally I believe that to be an exception rather than a norm in my mind.

It all depends on what you want. Do you want to rent a room and live it day in day out or is it about having an enjoyable income where you enjoy frequent days off/dedicated to another income.

Wishing us all the best for 2014 :)

Latest posts

Back