Another rebalance nightmare!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Minx

Reaction score
I have a client who i have been doing L&P enhancements on for the past 9 months. She has always had lifting in zone 2 horizontally right across the free edge area and i always have to file right down and sculpt her a new tip. I awlays thought it was something i was doing wrong and have even tried giving her a new set using tips but the problem still was there every other rebalance. (she goes 3 weeks infill, 3 weeks backfill and has them really short)

It wasn't until about 3 months ago i learned after questioning her about it when i see her free edge all ragged underneath, she admitted that she picks her natural nail underneath. I told her gently (because she is a friend) that everytime she does this, she is picking at my work and causing the lifting in across zone 2. (she never has lifting in zone 3)
So its been going on and on and she cannot get out of the habbit. She told me (well i thought she told me) its when she can see the re growth of her free edge so she starts to pick, so she changed her appointment times to 3 weeks backfill then every 2 weeks for infill. Then she said it was when she couldn't see her free edge that she picks. So im confussed as what to advise her. :sad:

I did say on her last appointment maybe Shellac would be better for her has she has her nails really short anyway and maybe she wouldn't pick them if she never had the acrylic to discuise her picking habbit. So we agreed to give her a 1 nail shellac trail on her next appointment.

She has texted me this morning saying she hasn't looked after her nails very well and they have badly lifted again :sad: and should we just soak off and do the full shellac tomorrow anyway and what do i think?
I don't want to force Shellac onto her and i was planning on just clipping off all the nails she has picked (before i was filing them down) and just sculpt her a new tip (im not very good at sculpting and i have had no training in it either, i only sculpt to repair nails and to get the practice)

I feel i meanie if i was to say she should have a backfill everytime and to come in sooner, say every 2 weeks instead of 3 because this is what she is used to having with the previous tech i took over.
What should i advise? or should i carry on sculpting her new nails everytime?

Last edited:
Karen if she is doing the damage, please don't offer anything for free ok :)

You need to make sure that her natural nail is completely attatched to the tip at free edge if this is what she's picking at. or it could be that she biting them side to side in her teeth, this will cause them to pop away at the free edge.

Now if she is saying she doesn't like the fact you see re-growth, why not use a opaque powder in z2 and z3, and then clear or white for z1...this way she will not see the re-growth.

Make sure you charge her correctly for all this extra work caused by her though, because to be honest I don't think it matters what you put on her she will attack it..some people are just like that. Good luck hun :) x

When you say she is picking at the regrowth do you mean from the underside?

Karen if she is doing the damage, please don't offer anything for free ok :)

You need to make sure that her natural nail is completely attatched to the tip at free edge if this is what she's picking at. or it could be that she biting them side to side in her teeth, this will cause them to pop away at the free edge.

Now if she is saying she doesn't like the fact you see re-growth, why not use a opaque powder in z2 and z3, and then clear or white for z1...this way she will not see the re-growth.

Make sure you charge her correctly for all this extra work caused by her though, because to be honest I don't think it matters what you put on her she will attack it..some people are just like that. Good luck hun :) x
Thankyou for the advise. I will talk to her tomorrow and see what we can do. I would feel bad charging her more than the rebalance price, she has been coming to me since i took over from her previous tech and when i decided to move salons when her previous tech came back after maternity leave, she followed me to my new salon so has been very loyal. She can easliy go back to her old tech if i started adding on the extra £££ and she did not seem to mind prizing her lifted enhancement off with acrylic nippers and giving her a new sculpt.
I know she's feeling bad for picking because in her text she said could she pop in today and get some acetone so she could soak them off before her appointment tomorrow. She knows it causes me alot of extra work.

Poor8bear .... yes she is picking her natural nail from underneath the form. She has done this for a long time but her old tech's nails would ping off very easlily, mine stay well and truely attached to zone 3 and middle of zone 2 so i have to file away each time.

alot of time I clip the whole free edge off and just sculpt a new tip. I love doing this and it is less work

Latest posts

Back